Small 18650 light with throw and easy access low?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I haven't been able to keep up with all the options out there but I'm looking for a smaller 18650 light with 20K + cd and also can be turned on in firefly mode.

I just got 2 new "almost there" lights: Eagletac DX30 & Nitecore P12GT. Both are small (the eagletac is smaller but gets hot quicker), use XP-L HI giving good throw for their size. The Eagletac has the ability to come on in low or "turbo" which I like, BUT despite it's claims I'm guessing low is 20 lumens and I'd prefer 1/2 to 2 lumens. The nitecore has a great low (firefly) BUT I can't start it in low mode so it wrecks my night vision. (Actually, it has "memory" so it comes on in the last mode used. That doesn't work for me personally as I personally I DON'T have memory so I don't remember which mode I turned it off in... and even if I did I like being able to have instant access to either firefly/low or high.)

I wish shipping wasn't so bad here... I'd gladly swap these 2 for 1 with my desired/merged features! :)

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Zebralight SC600w Mk IV HI
A little less than 20k cd but very good throw and a superb low mode with easy access and programmable interface.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600w Mk IV HI
A little less than 20k cd but very good throw and a superb low mode with easy access and programmable interface.

I will second this. Pretty darn close to what you are asking for. One of the better ones overall options out there.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Emisar D1, maybe ?

Not sure exactly how low is the "low" , and the UI may or may not appeal to you (since press-hold will start ramping)

EDIT ... looks like 0.6 lumens minimum (for the XP-L HI version)

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option: Emisar D1:

- It's slightly bigger than the SC600. The head is a tiny bit wider and the light is a tiny bit longer.
- both lights have easy access to low and turbo.
- The D1 is much cheaper than an SC600 ($35 for the D1, compared to $89 for the Zebralight).
- Considerably more throw than the Zebralight: 44k lux on the D1 compared to about 20k on the Zebralight.
- Less efficient driver: Zebralights use a highly-efficient buck-boost driver. The emisar uses a much simpler dual-channel FET+1 linear driver. The Zebralight will be more efficient.

So if you want to save some money and get much more throw, the D1 may be a better choice than the Zebra. But if you want efficiency and slightly smaller size and don't mind the cost or lower throw the Zebra is the way to go.