Knife Lubrication

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, can anyone recommend what I should use to lubricate a few of my folders that are a bit stiff to open and have a gritty feel when I open them?

Thanks very much.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For knives used on food - mineral oil form a pharmacy, food safe and very low cost.

For knives never used for food (very few of mine) - Tri flow Teflon - use very sparingly!

If your knives are real gritty, you may need to clean them first, hot tap water generally works for most knives.

nbp

Flashaholic
You could order up a little tube of the stuff that Chris Reeve Knives includes with all their knives. It works very nicely in my opinion and stays where you put it. Their knives are easy to disassemble so it's easy to apply. If you cannot take your knoves apart, it may be too viscous to get where you need it.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can recommend three products, but you need to use the one first to loosen the folder pivot and if a lock back spring points first.

Sentry Products Tuf-Glide in the needle applicator bottle to first creep into the gummed up pivot, then Hoppes #9 Gun oil to finish things off.

I've got a bunch of switchblades of various ages. They're a royal pain to disassemble on the ones designed to be taken apart, others have to go back to the factory for all service.

Tuf-Glide breaks down the gummed oil and gets into small crevices. It's close to being water thin. Once flushed out evidenced by the lube leaking out being clear, the Hoppes #9 Gun oil makes for finishing product for a smooth action.

Also another good product is Benchmade Blue Lube gets high marks.

Bladehq has just about every lubricant you could ever need for knife servicing.

Macka17

Newly Enlightened
I use Tri-Flo... Teflon oil in dripper tube for all reels, Knife joints, and guns.
Smoothest ever and sticks like you know what.
Trouble with Hoppes is the smell.

EpicDrop

Newly Enlightened
I've been using knife pivot lube (KPL) for the last few months. I find that it works pretty similarly to nano oil, but it seems to be less expensive.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ xxo
Im glad you mentioned food because I completely didn't think about it. Now that you mentioned it I ve looked at my current supply of Rem Oil, Betetta Oil, and Mil Com synthetic.... all but 1 are very harmful to critters and nature, cause irritation, and are toxic. Guess which 1 is ok... ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1563264740.464584.jpg

Funny I literally looked this up last night. I have a Microtech OTF and I ve decided to ditch the rem oil and betetta oil. Its not cheap but it's really good stuff. Just be sure whatever it is won't damage some finishes.... and this one will not depending on what you have.

My knives touch food but not often and my TBC beard comb obviously contacts my skin and in one sense this post was a wake up call!

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ xxo
Im glad you mentioned food because I completely didn't think about it. Now that you mentioned it I ve looked at my current supply of Rem Oil, Betetta Oil, and Mil Com synthetic.... all but 1 are very harmful to critters and nature, cause irritation, and are toxic. Guess which 1 is ok... View attachment 10588

Funny I literally looked this up last night. I have a Microtech OTF and I ve decided to ditch the rem oil and betetta oil. Its not cheap but it's really good stuff. Just be sure whatever it is won't damage some finishes.... and this one will not depending on what you have.

My knives touch food but not often and my TBC beard comb obviously contacts my skin and in one sense this post was a wake up call!

Doesn't seem that safe according to the data sheet:

https://mil-comm.com/how-to/2014-MC2500-Oil-MSDS.pdf

Most oils are not good to ingest, which is why I like mineral oil, which by the way is the main ingredient in traditional Japanese sword/clove oil and some of the lubricants that claim to be non-toxic such as Ballistol.

Mineral oil is also good for conditioning natural handle materials such as wood and stag – can also be used for conditioning wood cutting boards (won't go rancid) and can be used as a honing oil[FONT=&quot] and it only costs about $2 for a 16 oz. bottle that will last for years and it is safe to ingest[/FONT].

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mineral oil, olive oil, or coconut oil mixed with bees wax for everything and it's never failed me. You can use them on woods or metals with no problems and the bees wax keeps it solid at room temperature.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@xxo
Sorry bit late, just saw your post... I never intend to ingest the stuff but between that and Rem Oil Beretta hoppes etc I wouldn't be worried about mil comm touching my skin or even a blade that "touches" food

I don't know though about mineral oil and bees wax etc for an OTF