Dropped my Dorcy AAA- Chipped Reflector

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I dropped my newly acquired Dory AAA on the concrete floor at work and now the reflector has a small chip in it. I just read about someone removing the reflector on these: my question is, how? I read that the head is threaded on- is this the standard clockwise-to-tighten threading? I couldn't get the head of my light to budge, and I'm no weakling. Anyway, until that happened, I liked that little light, but I still want an Arc whenever they get around to offering one. Even if it's not a good idea to remove the reflector, I'd like to take the head off to get the little chipped piece out of the assembly.

JK

Monolith

Enlightened
I think most have been using dishwashing rubber gloves to get a good grip and unscrew the top. I haven't tried it yet.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The head unscrewed on mine rather easily. No dishwashing gloves, strap wrenches, or other horse puckey necessary.

As you're looking at the light from above, the head unscrews counterclockwise, exactly as one might expect it to.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hmmm...now that I don't know.
Unless the chipped piece is small enough to go through the round opening at the bottom of the reflector, I don't know how you're going to get that out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i deformed the tube trying to remove the head on mine by hand and mangled the rubber too.
gotta find the strapwrenches and try that.
was there loctite on any of the ones that came apart?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I haven't had one yet that could not be twisted apart with a rubber "jar opener" pad to get a better grip over a larger area. The only one that I've marred was the first, where I used a strap wrench on the head and cushioned vice grips on the barrel.

I think they do use some form of thread lock, as there's a definite give when it snaps loose.

Daniel