SkyRC NC1500 and Trickle Charge

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I'm looking at updating my Eneloop charger...my Opus BT-C2000 is aging. Of course, you know it isn't easy to find a moderately-priced charger that will apply a dv/dt termination method consistently and safely at a variety of charge currents. The new SkyRC NC1500 looks like an interesting possibility... it uses dv/dt termination, and seems to have a variety of safety features. It comes from a company with a good reputation for quality products.

However, I am concerned about the trickle charge that the charger uses, according to the product information on the SkyRC website. I have read that trickle charging isn't great for LSD cells. I don't want to heat up my cells, although I know Eneloops are pretty tough. I sent an email to the company to ask if the trickle charge can be turned off. Do any of you know if it is possible to turn off the trickle charge on the NC1500?

Do you think I should just stick with my BT-C2000? It still works...although my AA Eneloops get quite warm.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
SkyRC said in their response to my email that the trickle charge cannot be turned off. I guess it won't make a big difference, if I monitor the charging process and remove the cells from the charger promptly when the charge is done.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was seriously looking at the 1500 vs the opus for a few more slots next to the mc3000 but that 50mA trickle is ridiculous. I can't believe they (who clearly know better) designed it like that. 10mA is fine but 50 is near to C/10 for AAA cells. C/40 for AA, OK, not necessary but I wouldn't worry. Useless for AAA.

The MC3000 has so been worth the money for me for all battery types, but I was hoping the 1500 would be a well designed mini- version. IDK if the 2500 has that trickle charge but it's not "mini".

The opus 700 gets too hot (from the circuitry, not the cells being overcharged) with all 4 cells unless you stick to the default 400mA charge, but I guess it's still the best small NiMH charger with any sort of analyzer capability. Usually I just am charging a cell or two, so it does 1A without too much heat and is perfect.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I agree - the trickle charge is too high and not a great idea for LSD cells. I'm holding off purchasing this charger. I'll still use my Opus, or my Xtar VC4, which keeps the cells nice and cool.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
fXD3KyC.jpg

So, finally got a NC1500 because it's cute. It's also garbage. It is sort of OK for two cells on the outer slots at 700mA but they do get about 45C. Here's a plot of 3 AA cells at 500mA. Inner cell got way too hot (49.75C), outer cell never terminated (peaked at 50 then settled to 47). One of the cells made a pop. Don't even think about AAAs, all 4 hit 50C at 500mA before I pulled them.
This is my only temperature graph, but many tests with a single thermocouple or an IR thermometer give pretty much the same results.

It's sad. I really like it otherwise. As in, I like how it looks.