Interchangeable heads, bodies and tailcaps ?

akula88

Enlightened
Aside from Surefire, which other flashlight brands maintain interchangeable compatibility of heads (threads/contacts) across model-variants within their series? Surefire had success doing this with the 6P/C- and E-series lights.

Lego/modular compatibility would be useful when you may want a shorter EDC (1x18340), but later on go a higher capacity 1x18650 for long out-of-town trips... or using a general purpose head vs a tactical head. And only trying to remember a uniform UI.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interchangeable heads, bodies and tailcaps

Solarforce L2 and variants have head and tail threads that are SureFire compatible (at least I've had success swapping with my 6P, but someone will certainly correct me if this isn't generally true).

Get a Solarforce L2M and an 18650 extender tube and you can make a 1-cell, 2-cell, 3-cell, or 4-cell light.

--flatline

akula88

Enlightened

I believe SF basically started the trend on interchangeability and compatibility, and it's popularity (back then) created a third party parts interest (drop-ins, tail-caps, etc)... some eventually graduating to designing and making their own lights.

I was/am wondering why other manufacturers didn't adopt this business strategy? I'm talking about Streamlight, Ledlenser (back then)... and those chinese lights like Nitecore, Fenix, Klarus, Jetbeam, Olight, etc. and the relative newbies -- such as -- Acebeam, Sofirn, Mankers, Convoy, Astrolux, etc. Maybe because these 'electronic lighting devices' are becoming disposables and no long term warranty or parts replacement are needed. :(

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why sell upgrades to an existing light, when you can sell a whole new one?
It's called Marketing.
P

4Sevens was the king of lego-ability. Hopefully, Jason @ Prometheus lights will regain the crown with his new Quarks. :candle:

6gW3rwr.jpg

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back in the day, Fenix lights had swappable components (L1D, L2D, P2D, P3D; there were others). Obviously, you had to pay attention to voltage differences. I don't know anything about Fenix's current lineup.

Last edited:

There are a few "E-series" compatible parts and adapters from McGizmo, RPM, Oveready, Lumens Factory, etc.

You can also swap some older Fenix AAA heads with the Streamlight Microstream.