sentimental flashilghts

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I put up several lights for sale yesterday, and I kept thinking in the back of my mind about one light in particular. (Kind of a subconscious thing). This light was the only light I have been attached to, but didn't really notice it too much. In my mind, selling it would erase the memories I had with it. And to some degree that would be true. (Out of sight out of mind). However, this particular light brought back good and bad memories from my past.

Did this light save my life? Well, I can't be 100% sure, but I can tell you without it right now, I would have a good chance of being dead.

Did I carry this light through the darkest hours and days of my life? Unquestionably Yes. I can not say what I did here online. However, I was not a cop. I was much more involved than they are, by a huge, huge, margin.

Was this a light or object that when doing what I was doing I had my focus on and or in my hand using, while my other hand was on my holstered Glock? 100% yes.

Light was the first defense and I would HIGHLY argue offense for everything I used to do. The sheer presence of my light (Surefire P3X) when scanning areas had one known felon hide and on another case another one make a call warning others.

I wish I could go deeper into this with the helios and such, but I can't.

My question is: Do you have sentimental lights? And if so, how?

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though probably not as emotionally invested as your P3X to you, I have great fondness and sentiment to my Zebralight H51w headlamp. It's been with me on many adventurers in the back country, car camping trips, chores around the house, oil changes, and baby duties. It's a light, like you said, that I use without any thought, my go to for everything, but don't really notice it too much. It's one light I wouldn't even think about selling, even if it became a collectible and was worth many times its original price. Fortunately I don't have many bad memories associated with it, but I can understand your conundrum in parting ways with your P3X.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sure man,

I have a few. Not life savers per-sae but definitely made life a bit brighter. (Pun intended? Eh, kinda.)

A 4aa mini-lantern when an ice storm took out my power on Christmas Eve the first year I hosted my young sons as a non custodial parent. It showed them enough light to open presents and show we could see our breath. I still have that one.

Another is my minimag from the early 90's. Like a laborador retriever that one has been a faithful friend through a lot of good and bad. I retired that one.

My first Coast HP7 as it was the light that introduced me to lights brighter than my old minimag. Still an often used light at work.

My first SureFire was a tan G2x Pro and was the one that introduced me to flashlights can be more than $50 but worth every penny.

My beat up PKDL PR-1 is my "life saver" light if need be.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a Cop and I have two Surefire lights that I'll probably never part with, my G2 which was my first Surefire light which I carried for about 14 years on the streets, started off as an incan, I then added a P60L, it now has a Malkoff drop-in.

Secondly a Surefire G3, I was on Air Support for 10 years as a Tactical Flight Officer and the last aircraft I crewed was a Eurocopter EC135, the dedicated Aircraft light was a G3. It got dropped and broke, I recovered it from a trashcan, that brought me to this site and as they say the rest is history!!

Thanks to the advice I was given on this site and Surefire Customer service the G3 is still in service, but now with a Malkoff M61LL in it.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I was a Cop and I have two Surefire lights that I'll probably never part with, my G2 which was my first Surefire light which I carried for about 14 years on the streets, started off as an incan, I then added a P60L, it now has a Malkoff drop-in.

Secondly a Surefire G3, I was on Air Support for 10 years as a Tactical Flight Officer and the last aircraft I crewed was a Eurocopter EC135, the dedicated Aircraft light was a G3. It got dropped and broke, I recovered it from a trashcan, that brought me to this site and as they say the rest is history!!

Thanks to the advice I was given on this site and Surefire Customer service the G3 is still in service, but now with a Malkoff M61LL in it.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I started a thread like this awhile back.my sentimental light is an old school HDS U60 with extended battery tube.i have 3 girls twin 15 year olds and a 4 year old. I have used this light for 14 years or so putting them down and keeping away the monsters.First with my twins and now with my 4 year old.it has had countless battery changes over the years and has been used for midnight diaper changes, trips to the fridge for milk,looking for that special stuffed animals that without it sleep would be impossible for my little one and of course keeping them scary monsters away when the lights are off.Its certainly not my best or most expensive light I have but to me it's priceless.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Had a P2X that helped me in a few hairy situations, once where I'm sure the light prevented me from getting shot. Sold it, regretted it, bought an EDCL2-T and now don't miss the P2X at all.

It was a tool at the time, just like I don't miss the gun I carried at the time.

As to sentimental lights, I don't easily get attached to them but my original Olight S1 Baton is close to my heart. I was rather unhappy when I misplaced it for a week and thought I'd lost it.

Edit - I'm wrong. I do have a sentimental light, a 6P with a Malkoff M61. Given to me by someone from another country, that I never met, his only condition that I pay it forward one day. I have done so, many times over, but I won't ever let that light go, even though it's not used anymore.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sentimental attachment to a light? I guess so...I doubt I will ever sell my old 6P; it's one of the originals with the smooth rubber dome tail switches that the metal contact falls out of when you remove the tail cap. My reasons aren't as cryptic or mysterious as CREE's but just as valid to me. It was the first time I had spent any serious cash on a tool that I thought would be useful. Over the years it became something I was known for carrying and many times even relied upon by others to supply the needed light. Did it save my life? Yup, probably more times than I know.

I now carry other lights in it's place, not because it failed or because I don't trust it anymore but rather because I feel that there are simply better tools available. Better at least for me.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I will remind everyone that CPF is a family friendly forum. Thank you for your understanding. :)

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I had to - he opened himself up for that joke.

;)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
But back on topic... I do have a sentimental light. It's my first real light that got me into the hobby, a nitecore TM36 lite. I had it for sale and I started wrapping it up then I had to tell the seller I'm returning his funds, that I cant just part with it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess every Mini Mag that I carried back in the 70's as I started to EDC a light would have to be my first sentimental lights.
But then things stepped up for me somewhat too when I snagged my first Tekna-Lite too!
I could not believe that I could carry that much light in such a small package and that the light was not conductive and seemed indestructible too!

So there have been a whole lot of other lights and will be a lot more I am sure but these will always be the ones that started the whole thing for me.
And by the way are you really claiming these lights as sentimental to you and not showing a single light too?

ad7e2eeb47aeab5bd85de69d0f698529.jpg

b4294ab2a9a327fbd9ffff78815afe09.jpg

Nichia!

Banned
I guess every Mini Mag that I carried back in the 70's as I started to EDC a light would have to be my first sentimental lights.
But then things stepped up for me somewhat too when I snagged my first Tekna-Lite too!
I could not believe that I could carry that much light in such a small package and that the light was not conductive and seemed indestructible too!

So there have been a whole lot of other lights and will be a lot more I am sure but these will always be the ones that started the whole thing for me.
And by the way are you really claiming these lights as sentimental to you and not showing a single light too?

ad7e2eeb47aeab5bd85de69d0f698529.jpg

b4294ab2a9a327fbd9ffff78815afe09.jpg

Really weird looking lights! I like them [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was a little known model by Tekna that was using the SLR battery before the ill fated 3P. The story goes that cops in the know used those as backup lights over the minimag of the day.

Because the Tekna were plastic and aimed at the dive community they went largely unknown outside that niche group of light users.

The company is now called Tek-Tite.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights that I have modded myself are my absolute favourites, and I'd never sell them. For one, it would be very embarassing if they went wrong, and for two, there's nothing as satisfying (well there is, but we're talking flashlights) as using a light that you've had some input on the customisation.
I've just gutted and rebuilt one of my favourite hosts and I'm so attached to it, it will never go anywhere without me.
P

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my oldest light....the Maglite in my signature....I have it purely for sentimental reasons.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
No, the OP haha

Well, I don't know what you said, but I sure would have liked to seen it.:D

Edited to ask, was the joke about the first paragraph? If so I get it. LOL!

Last edited: