What are the actual specs for Folomov Pen L1? Currently listed as same as EDC C1.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folomov currently lists the outputs and run times of the new Pen L1 using a 10900 battery to be the same as the EDC C1, which uses a 10440 battery.

Are they really the same, or did Folomov poorly execute their cut and paste of the C1 specs to the Pen L1?

Not much benefit to having a light twice the size, if the outputs and run times are identical to a light half the size.

I would expect a light with a battery twice the capacity to have twice the longevity of a light with a battery with half the capacity, if they are using the same LED, driver and UI, which they appear to be.

Just curious. I already have the C2 and the Pen L1 is on order. I don't have a C1

Am I missing something? I'm no battery expert.

I still have almost a month to wait for the delivery of my Pen L1, which shipped from China yesterday.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've never even heard of a 10900 battery before. Googling it tells me it doesn't have much capacity.

archimedes

Flashaholic
A bit of searching shows both 10440 and 10900 listed in the specs.

Wouldn't surprise me if a "10900" is a microUSB charger + 10440 + 46mm (or so) spacer, wrapped up together.

At all :)

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of searching shows both 10440 and 10900 listed in the specs.

Wouldn't surprise me if a "10900" is a microUSB charger + 10440 + 46mm (or so) spacer, wrapped up together.

At all :)

That would be absolutely ludicrous, but I suppose that could explain why the two lights are listed with exactly the same outputs and runtimes.

That would be really dishonest and deceitful.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I think it's a rechargeable proprietary cell that comes with it. Like old SF rechargeable 8x or whatever they called it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
That would be absolutely ludicrous, but I suppose that could explain why the two lights are listed with exactly the same outputs and runtimes....

Well, would be pretty easy to find out ... :shrug:

Ya I think it's a rechargeable proprietary cell that comes with it. Like old SF rechargeable 8x or whatever they called it.
Yes, I believe the SF "B90" battery was a (wrapped) 3x NiMH ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380368-Surefire-B90-Battery

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
B90! That's the battery pack I was thinking of. Thanks would of bother me all night.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
archimedes, how do I find out before I receive mine in about three or four weeks?

I could try their contact form on their websit and see if they respond. No info anywhere else, people just post the Folomov chart that I'm questioning.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Best bet unfortunately will be to see how it is when you get it. Only real way to find out.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know the actual specs of the Pen L1?

Mine never made it to me and is supposed to be reshipped.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know the actual specs of the Pen L1?

Mine never made it to me and is supposed to be reshipped.

sad for you not to get your light still

I think you know the answer to your question, you posted this 6 weeks ago:

The real runtimes should be about twice the C1 runtimes, since the Pen L1 battery is about twice the capacity.
Folomov apparently just copied the specs of the C1 and didn't actually test the Pen L1.

the best way to know, is to put the light on a meter
if you send it to me, I will test it for you ;-)
since I have a meter, calibrated to an HDS

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,

I contacted banggood a couple days ago and they said the the package was returned to them for some reason.

The offered to reship it and I accepted.

Hopefully I'll have the lights in about three weeks.

Thanks for the offer to do the runtime tests on my lights. That's very generous.

Do you still use your C1?

I hope that I end up liking these lights. They have a tough challenge replacing the Sofirn SF02 that's been in my shirt pocket for the last couple months.

I emailed Battery Junction a few minutes ago to see if they know the actual specs, since they now carry Folomov and the list the same runtime and output specs for the C1 and Pen L1.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully I'll have the lights in about three weeks.

Thanks for the offer to do the runtime tests on my lights. That's very generous.

Do you still use your C1?

I hope that I end up liking these lights. They have a tough challenge replacing the Sofirn SF02 that's been in my shirt pocket for the last couple months.

the advantage of the Folomov is probably the LED having higher CRI, if you can enjoy the warm color temp
I suspect the UI of the sofirn is less confused, but the LED is a cool white low CRI.. possible modding candidate to Nichia :)
or, the Lumintop IYP could be an off the shelf high CRI candidate that is not as warm as the Folomov

I dont know all the mode and UI differences between those penlights

I gifted my C1 after finding it dead on my nightstand from parasitic drain during non use, a couple of times, plus having it come on in my pocket when I carried it for a while.. its a cute little light, just not a match for my current interests

I also had a chance to use a C2. I really liked the beam and small size, and the included USB rechargeable mini battery.. again I like the LED, and the UI is slightly better, imo, than the C1

have not been using my AAA lights much
Im in a 16340 phase, using several RRT-01 High CRI Nichia modded lights, 3000k 3500k and 4500k, single, and triple,

the rotary interface makes specs and mode sequences essentially irrelevant.. runtime is also a non issue for me.. the battery has plenty of capacity and the range of output is plenty broad for my present interests..

I look forward to your impressions of your Pen L1
Folomov has a unique position atm, one of the only makers offering warm E21a High CRI

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the UI on my IYP 365. It it was one of the originals with the 219B. I did just buy a half price IYP365 with 219C for my granddaughter, who just started nursing school.

What I like most about the Sofirn SF02 are the really low ML, proper Med, plenty high high and big fat hot spot. Excellent for short to medium range tasks. The switch is also nice and firm and always does what I ask without any surprises. It's not high CRI, but I have no issues distinguishing colors in wire harnesses and such. I actually like mode memory on this light.

The only 1AAA that I currently carry is the Manker E02. The Folomov EDC C2 and Utorch S1 Mini have taken over hat brim use.

The BLF A6 with 3D does the heavy lifting and the recently acquired Lumintop EDC05 and Rofis R2 get used daily.

I will likely carry both the Pen L1 and SF02 in my shirt pocket for a while to decide which gets to stay. Maybe both will stay.