Fenix HM65R Rechargeable Headlamp: Introducing the New Fenix Design WITH VIDEO

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Fenix HM65R Rechargeable Headlamp: Introducing
the New Fenix Design

The new Fenix HM65R features a body which incorporates the ultra lightweight magnesium material, making the headlamp approximately 32% lighter than the standard aluminum. This new design makes the HM65R the full package: lightweight and extremely high lumen output. The applications for the new HM65R are snow mountain climbing, trail running, night running, camping, cycling, and about any outdoor adventure.

When activating the dual spotlight and floodlight, you can reach an amazing 1400 lumens. When activating the spotlight and floodlight individually, the performance numbers are super impressive. With the two power source options, the HM65R is suitable for temperatures below freezing when using the CR123A batteries.

Check out the new HM65R to see all the ways it should be the next headlamp included in your gear.

Last edited:

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Re: Fenix HM65R Rechargeable Headlamp: Introducing the New Fenix Design

This looks really interesting [emoji106]

parametrek

Enlightened

Added it to the database. Though it is getting depressing adding Fenix lights now. Previously the worst benders of the FL1 were companies that made high output (more than 10K lumens) flood lights. These might have 8 modes and 3 of them would have turbo stepdowns. It is annoying but I get it. The light would literally melt the solder if they were run for too long. But it is so sad to see small lights with turbo stepdowns on 6 of the 7 modes. No other big name flashlight company does this.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

Operational Video of the new HM65R

watch

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though it is getting depressing adding Fenix lights now. Previously the worst benders of the FL1 were companies that made high output (more than 10K lumens) flood lights. These might have 8 modes and 3 of them would have turbo stepdowns. It is annoying but I get it. The light would literally melt the solder if they were run for too long. But it is so sad to see small lights with turbo stepdowns on 6 of the 7 modes. No other big name flashlight company does this.

AFAIK they do this only on headlamps and lanterns so far, but I agree it is depressing and misleading. Maybe they have copied it from Ledlenser, which uses similar output decreasing techniques for a long time, but that is a bad inspiration :sick2:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

When working around horses and other livestock, the 160 degree tilt feature of the HL55 is a godsend.

Being able to reach up and quickly rotate the light upward and away from their eyes and then back down again is one of the main reasons the HL55's see so much use around our farm. It's ten fold more practical than turning the headlamp on and off a gazillion times when working around the animals.

We also use the upward tilt as a way to ceiling bounce for soft light in the stalls and barn.

Everything about the HM65R seemed like a winner and reason to add a few lights, but the lack of upward tilt will prevent us from using them [at least as work lights].

hARqnmu.jpg

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Completely agree: the wide angle tilt of the HL55 can be very handy.

In any case, the HM65R looks like a nice light with very interesting features but the step-downs on lower modes, for me, especially on the high are a deal breaker!

I can understand having the step-down on the turbo: uninformed potential buyers compare lumens so having a very bright turbo is needed to sell. As a company you need to increase sails to increase profit, develop better products, and stay competitive. You need to draw a line though or else you risk compromising the product. Stepdowns on lower levels are simply not compatible with active use, at least not with my use!

And honestly, I find them pointless. If you need to have light on for longer than a given mode allows, all you need to do is step down to a lower level with higher efficiency manually.
If you need a brighter beam for longer, you need to carry more batteries for extended use. A stepdown does not solve the problem, it just hides it on the runtime table!

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hate to ask but I just don't see or understand what you guys are saying about stepdown on 7 of the 6 modes. Where is that stated?

NPL

Enlightened
There is no way the light outputs 400 lumens for 22 hours.... Now, the big question is, does it step down within a minute or two, or does it run for an hour before regulation can no longer sustain 400 lumens. Either way, 22 hours is very misleading!

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Your questions have been sent to the Fenix engineers. We will post answers once we get them back. Thanks for your input

EzGoingKev

Newly Enlightened
I received mine yesterday. When they assemble the headbands they put the buckles on the inside of the band so they go up against your head. I could fix the one over the top but could fix the one that goes around your head. They need to assemble them with the buckles out.

I also question the output numbers. I do not have any equipment to measure output but my Surefire Peacekeeper at 600 lumens is brighter than the claimed 1000 lumens the spotlight is listed at.

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Information you are requesting from the Fenix engineers:

It would be the same answer that we have figured it out according to the PLATO standard, and the stepdown is not just decided by the temperature but also controlled intelligently on the HM65R.
https://www.plato-usa.org/about/standard
Run Time
Tested with fresh batteries from 30 seconds after the light is turned on until the light output reaches 10% of the initial measurement. This is the total time of useable light before most consumers will change batteries.
Actually, the stepdown control is for user' safety guarantee and customers can still get back to the higher output level with clicking the button again based on the battery power. Moreover, there is always the note as below in our PPT announcements and user manuals. So the customers may miss some important information.
*The high output is measured in total of runtime including output at reduced levels due to temperature or protection mechanism in the design.
or
*The runtime of turbo is the cumulative time when overheat protection active.

NPL

Enlightened
In other words, the runtimes quoted are highly misleading. Nobody will be satisfied with a 40 lumen output when they set their light to high expecting 400 lumens.

Can Fenix publish a runtime curve to see how much light you get and for how long before the output drops significantly?

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above post: for those who value actual runtime at given output, the runtime curve would help us understand whether the light performs as needed at lower output levels such as 400 and 130 lumens. That a 1,000-lumen turbo steps down, is expected and not a problem!

lima

Newly Enlightened
Where is red light and SOS mode? I don't understand the policy of making your headlamps. Good for running, but I want a headlamp with SOS mode and red light. There will be some revision with these "things".

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
They simply can't put everything in one light: the HM65 R has two buttons for two lights. You had modes for SOS and red light and it becomes too complicated.

The HM60R that is supposed to come out in 2020 will definitely have the red light and probably the SOS too. Just hope they are hidden and that it's well regulated rather than quickly dropping down output on all brightness levels.