Acebeam        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: EMISAR D4 Version 2!!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: EMISAR D4 Version 2!!

I've been trying mine out for everyday carry with the shorty 18350 barrel for the last four days or so. I really like the auxilliary led voltage indicator when off. I got the raised surround around my button and so far it hasn't turned on in my pocket.

I replaced a camshaft actuator on my wife's SUV this morning and used the emisar's tailcap magnet to hold the torch to the underside of the bonnet (hood) while I worked. Being only an 18350 I thought I'd be smart and save battery by setting it to the brightness of surrounding areas rather than really bright. This meant that when the job was over I failed to notice while packing away tools that the torch was still magnetted to the underside of the bonnet and I slammed the bonnet shut and drove off on a test drive.

It wasn't until about twenty minutes after returning that I remembered the torch and I went out to open the bonnet expecting that the torch would no longer be there but was surprised to find it still shining light and hanging on exactly where I had placed it when I started. The magnet held through slamming the bonnet and a five mile test drive out on open country roads. Colour me impressed.

A short time lapse of the heat development with XPL-HI V2 5D emitters:

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    For some reason, I'm not getting the modes I'm used to with the little Anduril that I know from using my FW3A. My D4V2 came with the aux lights coming on after batter insertion. So I tried 7 clicks, but off still was the aux light show. Keeping the button depressed got to ramp, but off was still aux. Tried 6 clicks and it turned off, back to ramp mode on the next click to turn on. 4 click lock out from off does not work. This is with the NCR18650GA. Just tried the VTC6 in there and all of the symptoms are the same. Emailed Hank to see what's what.
    Hank helped me out.

Factory Reset: Loosen tailcap, Hold button, Tighten tailcap, hold 3s (or 13H from Off).

Everything back in order!

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Hank helped me out.

Factory Reset: Loosen tailcap, Hold button, Tighten tailcap, hold 3s (or 13H from Off).

Everything back in order!

I have tried this on my FW3A and it does not work. I would love a way to reset these lights (any one running Anduril) if I had to!

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
    I have tried this on my FW3A and it does not work. I would love a way to reset these lights (any one running Anduril) if I had to!
    You've got to have the latest F/W to do the reset on the D4V2, guessing it's the same for the FW3A. Get the F/W flashing kit from Hank but not sure if it's the same one for the FW3A since I don't have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    You've got to have the latest F/W to do the reset on the D4V2, guessing it's the same for the FW3A. Get the F/W flashing kit from Hank but not sure if it's the same one for the FW3A since I don't have one of those.

Same flasher should be able to flash both lights. However, the FW3A doesn't have pin pads on the bottom of the driver like the D4V2. This means that instead of using the pogo-pin adaptor that comes with the D4v2 reflasher, you'll need an SOIC clip for the FW3A. You'll also need a soldering iron as it will be necessary to desolder the star in order to remove the driver to get at the MCU.

Flashaholic

I just received mine today.
    I ordered the brass version and it`s a great light.
    The UI isn`t as complicate as I originally thought but there are 2 things about the light that kind bug me...
    1)The lanyard hole in the tailcap doesn`t line up straight. It`s off to the 10:00 position if you`re looking holding the light in your hand looking right at the tailcap.
    2)I love neutral white and ordered the XPL Hi and it`s more cool white than neutral.
    I have a Malkoff with an Mt-G2 in neutral white (5000k) and it`s a creamy vanilla. The XPL Hi is supposed to be 5000k but I don`t think so. It`s too cool.
    I do love the strobe functions on this light. The tactical strobe is the only strobe I`ve ever seen that I think would definitely work like it`s supposed to.
    Also, is there a way to speed up the cycling of the auxiliary LEDs`?

Quote Originally Posted by ftumch33 View Post
    I just received mine today.
    The UI isn`t as complicate as I originally thought but there are 2 things about the light that kind bug me...
    1)The lanyard hole in the tailcap doesn`t line up straight. It`s off to the 10:00 position if you`re looking holding the light in your hand looking right at the tailcap.
    It's been my experience that nearly all machined threads start at a semi-random position on the piece - it's only molded threads that have a consistent starting position.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    It's been my experience that nearly all machined threads start at a semi-random position on the piece - it's only molded threads that have a consistent starting position.
    Hmmm, that`s good to know.
    I know everyone is saying once you get the hang of it the UI is simple to operate but I`m starting to think there`s too much in the UI for it`s own good.
    I keep getting stuck in `Momentary-On/Strobe` and in this mode I cannot access strobe.
    Also, whatever level of light you had previously is the only level I have in this mode. so if I started out with a low level of light and get into `Momentary-On/Strobe` the momentary light will be low.
    Once you`re locked into a mode, how do you get out of it to just one click-ramp the light up and down without having to unscrew the tail cap or click 13 times?

Flashaholic*

Hmmm, that`s good to know.
    I know everyone is saying once you get the hang of it the UI is simple to operate but I`m starting to think there`s too much in the UI for it`s own good.
    I keep getting stuck in `Momentary-On/Strobe` and in this mode I cannot access strobe.
    Also, whatever level of light you had previously is the only level I have in this mode. so if I started out with a low level of light and get into `Momentary-On/Strobe` the momentary light will be low.
    Once you`re locked into a mode, how do you get out of it to just one click-ramp the light up and down without having to unscrew the tail cap or click 13 times?
    Yup, that's probably my biggest complaint about the Anduril firmware. It's way too easy to get into some configuration mode, and mess up the settings. Configuration should be buried far deeper so you can't accidentally get to it. You need the flowchart to program the light anyway, so a weird combination of programming clicks you have to read on the flowchart isn't a big deal.

Flashaholic

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket clip that is much stronger than the Emisar clip? The spring tension on the Emisar clip is pretty wimpy and the light slides from side to side clipped to my jeans pocket.

Flashaholic

I read here(I think) that one or two of the Armytek clips work so I ordered 2 different ones that I think would work.
    I`ll post here how they work when I get them.
    Had to order the aluminum version of the D4V2 (shoulda just sprung for the ti) and found out the hard way that a certain electronics store located in the `Mountain doesn`t sell them with the raised button.
    For some reason, the magnet in my brass version of this light is stronger than the magnet in the aluminum one I just received. I don`t know why.
    Now I have 2 versions of the D4V2 that I`ll have to sell and buy the ti version

I read here(I think) that one or two of the Armytek clips work so I ordered 2 different ones that I think would work.
    I`ll post here how they work when I get them.
    Looking forward to how they work. My only gripe with the light is the clip isn't deep carry. If I had a deep carry clip for it, it would be perfect.

Had to order the aluminum version of the D4V2 (shoulda just sprung for the ti) and found out the hard way that a certain electronics store located in the `Mountain doesn`t sell them with the raised button.
    I just ordered a couple raised retainer rings for the switch directly from Hank and swapped out my standard one. They were $1.50 ea. plus $2.50 shipping.

For some reason, the magnet in my brass version of this light is stronger than the magnet in the aluminum one I just received. I don`t know why.
    Now I have 2 versions of the D4V2 that I`ll have to sell and buy the ti version
    My magnet wasn't very strong so I just replaced the magnet with a much stronger one from KJ Magnetics.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DA2-N52
    Last edited by srvctec; 12-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.

New thermal regulation code on the way (link to the code: https://code.launchpad.net/~pakutrai...t-firmware/fsm):

Flashaholic

My clip order from Armytek is a week old tomorrow and no update to whether it shipped yet.
    Thanks for the heads up on the magnet .
    I`ll have to order a magnet from that link

My clip order from Armytek is a week old tomorrow and no update to whether it shipped yet.
    Can you post some search terms to show the link to purchase? After you find the one that works.

To remove the magnet from the tail cap, just hold it in a vise with leather to protect it and then heat it up on the outside flat end with a micro torch while gently pulling on the contact spring with some forceps. It will pop right out once it's hot enough to release the adhesive holding it in place. I just used JB Weld to hold mine together with the new magnet in place.

Flashaholic

Will do

Quote Originally Posted by 0-8-15 User View Post
    New thermal regulation code on the way (link to the code: https://code.launchpad.net/~pakutrai...t-firmware/fsm):
    Good work! Did Toykeeper say if she intends to implement the thermal code you developed into the trunk version of Anduril, versus rewriting hers from scratch whenever she might find the time?

Or would we need to use your branch if we want to try this?

I created a proposal to merge my code into the fsm branch. ToyKeeper has already started going through the changes, but it'll probably take a while until the code as a whole or at least parts of it are going to be merged. Testing these kind of code changes takes a lot of time.
    Last edited by 0-8-15 User; 01-09-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added a link to the proposal

Flashaholic

My clip order from Armytek came in and both clips are too wide (the part that clips onto the light) to sit on the light without grinding down

I'm really diggin' this light, are you all still happy with it? Worth checking out?
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    I'm really diggin' this light, are you all still happy with it? Worth checking out?
    I absolutely love it! I've EDCed it since the day I got it last summer and it gets used multiple times a day, every single day. I've updated the firmware several times to take advantage of all the changes. In fact, I just updated it again yesterday since the latest version is dated 3.18.20. If you get one, make sure and get the firmware update dongle, it's well worth it and super easy to update with an Android phone.

Iím here in L.A. visiting pops for two weeks and brought my D4V2 and my SC52, to use around our large property. Itís a blaster and I also love my D4, D1 and D1S.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345