Vape pen explodes shattering teen’s teeth

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.foxnews.com/health/vape-pen-explodes-shattering-teens-teeth-jaw

Excerpt:

A 17-year-old Nevada teen was left with what looked like "close-range gunshot wounds" after a vape pen that his mother had given him to help him quit smoking exploded in his mouth. In fact, his injuries were so severe that his doctors submitted his case to the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) so that others could be made aware of the potential dangers....about a month after getting the device, Burton said she heard a loud pop followed by her son's screams.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I predict these things will soon start getting banned. As bad as this case is, it could have been worse. Namely, the 30 year-old guy whose vape device exploded in his pants pocket and literally burned off his.... Well, he still has his "stones." But that's it. Absolutely horrific.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to quit smoking years ago by vaping instead. Then I finally got off the vape and got back in shape. I haven't smoked or vaped in about 8 years. It helps people, so of course they'll eventually ban it. You don't hear for calls to ban cars every time someone gets run over by one, but it happens all the time.

Last edited:

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming this was due to a low quality battery. I've seen several people putting vape shop no name batteries in these things so it's not surprising they explode. It sure is a bummer for this poor kid trashing his jaw like that.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Fox article stated that Austin as they called him, requested a certain model of vape pen. It's logical that he already had plans of souping the pen up by using sub ohm coils.

Since this occurred in early 2018, I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

There was no mention of the family suing the manufacturer, so I'm going to guess this was self made explosion.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
modifying or not, just making aware the possibility that this can happen when you deal with compact high power devices/cells and can be life altering if something malfunctions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some of the devices are capable of sucking 30-35 amps!!!

Trouble is a great number of batteries are re-wraps labeled to be able to do 35 amps sustained and 50 amp bursts...even bigger trouble is they were as bad as 25 burst capable cells before receiving the re-wrap.

A fellow named Mooch is famous at vape forums for his battery info on his youtube channel. He spells it out as complicated and as simple as required. Knowledge I obtained there caused me to stop using some Panasonic re-wraps to a generic label in my Maglite ROP after reading the label stating 35amp capable was for burst only. They were labeled "35amp" batteries but are truthfully 20 amp batteries capable of short bursts of 35 amps.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the devices are capable of sucking 30-35 amps!!!

Trouble is a great number of batteries are re-wraps labeled to be able to do 35 amps sustained and 50 amp bursts...trouble is they were as bad as 25 burst capable cells.

From what I understand, no manufacturers specify "burst amps". That's just a guess the re-wrappers are making.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m not a vaper but a flashaholic and can only say about these things in the UK. I will look up that YouTube channel as it does interest me but one big problem it seems we have is that which was mentioned about the "burst" capability which I was unaware of. The other is cheap low quality batteries.
On my lights I run em down but never full beam for long periods at a time.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering that only 10A will kill a human in quick order, 20A drawn up by cheap electronics and then sticking it into your mouth is scary in itself let alone pair it up with instantaneously heating fluid to a vaporous state mixing it with various subtances as a carrier and inhaling it. https://youtu.be/ufwa_jESJ5s

:thinking:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Most comercial vapes are regulated. Some are even rated UL approved now.

It's the custom kind where folks are vaping at 100+ (up to 200) watts with multiple coils with less than a quarter ohm resistance that murders batteries.

They're called "mechs" and are made for ultimate clouds of vaper. See, the vape device began as an alternative to a cigarette back in fairly early rechargeable tech days. But they used a double or triple a sized tube. But when folks figured out they could make thunderstorm sized clouds from them it got sketchy. Fads being fads you aint vapin' unless you making mad clouds...

IMG-20180908-081326.jpg

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
I predict these things will soon start getting banned. As bad as this case is, it could have been worse. Namely, the 30 year-old guy whose vape device exploded in his pants pocket and literally burned off his.... Well, he still has his "stones." But that's it. Absolutely horrific.
I say it should be survival of the fittest. Coddling young people has created a generation of morons IMO.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Most comercial vapes are regulated. Some are even rated UL approved now.

It's the custom kind where folks are vaping at 100+ (up to 200) watts with multiple coils with less than a quarter ohm resistance that murders batteries.

They're called "mechs" and are made for ultimate clouds of vaper. See, the vape device began as an alternative to a cigarette back in fairly early rechargeable tech days. But they used a double or triple a sized tube. But when folks figured out they could make thunderstorm sized clouds from them it got sketchy. Fads being fads you aint vapin' unless you making mad clouds...

IMG-20180908-081326.jpg

Yup they have competitions with trophy's and prizes at most vape shops. Biggest cloud wins!