Malkoff Hound Dog Super vs Klarus XT32

QMT93

Enlightened
(Please move this to the appropriate thread if necessary)

Hi,
I'd love your input on choosing the Hound Dog Super over the Klarus XT32:

HD Super: $268.00, continuous 75kcd CW/ 70kcd NW, 9'' and 1.25hrs battery on MD4 body, can use extension tube to add 1x18650 (11'' total), rugged, lego-ability

XT32: $130.00 (Battery Junction, with charger and 2x18650), 10'', continuous about 70kcd for roughly 1.6hrs (https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight...w_klarus_xt32_1000m_throwervideo_and_written/, photo of battery and output https://i.imgur.com/nIPJVIj.jpg I assume 100% is 250kcd, which leaves 50% = 0.5 x 250,000= 125,000 - the photo shows the output is closer to 60%, but I'm being conservative on this)

Currently, reasons to go with Malkoff I've read include quality, warranty, customer service, and "Buy once, cry once" mentality (which really adds to quality). They are all good reasons. It only appears to me, from the above, that the HD Super offers less for twice the price. What am I missing?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You pretty much nailed it right there. I don't own any Malkoff lights so I cannot confirm it from my own experience but I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of Gene's products.

I would say look at it more like you are paying the extra money for higher quality materials and workmanship rather than the warranty or customer service because if it is built properly in the first place you'll never use either of those other two.

Personally I don't abuse my flashlights to the degree that would require the level of reliability and build quality that is expected from a Malkoff flashlight. If you need it to survive and continue to work even if you don't, then get the Malkoff.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I'd love your input on choosing the Hound Dog Super over the Klarus XT32 .... reasons to go with Malkoff I've read include quality, warranty, customer service ....

Those all cost money.

.... It only appears to me, from the above, that the HD Super offers less for twice the price....

How do you figure that ? :thinking:

Here is the Super Hound Dog runtime chart, from @INFRNL (linked below for reference) ...

i55aiu8_d.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=445450

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
You pretty much nailed it right there. I don't own any Malkoff lights so I cannot confirm it from my own experience but I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of Gene's products.

I would say look at it more like you are paying the extra money for higher quality materials and workmanship rather than the warranty or customer service because if it is built properly in the first place you'll never use either of those other two.

Personally I don't abuse my flashlights to the degree that would require the level of reliability and build quality that is expected from a Malkoff flashlight. If you need it to survive and continue to work even if you don't, then get the Malkoff.

I think you express my thoughts better than I did. I believe the next logical step would be to dig more into Klarus quality, warranty, and customer service.

Those all cost money.

How do you figure that ? :thinking:

Here is the Super Hound Dog runtime chart, from @INFRNL (linked below for reference) ...

i55aiu8_d.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=445450

I do agree with you that those all cost money. I'm simply trying to estimate my use, the product quality, warranty, and customer service it would require, from where I can figure out an amount to pay. As I mentioned above, the next logical step would be to compare those values of Malkoff and Klarus. I wasn't able to think this through last night :(.

Regarding your question, I was discussing the candela output of the two lights: The HD Super stays continuous at close to 70kcd for 1.25 hours on 2x18650, at $280, while the Klarus stays continuously above 70kcd for roughly 1.6 hrs, at $130. I read @INFRNL thread, for which I was able to list the HD Super figures as reference.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Your missing quality. If your going to buy a thrower in that price range a much better option is the Olight M3XS-UT which has USA customer based service that is just as good as Surefire. I called once and got a new Tailcap for my X7 Marauder in 3 days with 2 stickers and a vinyl morale patch. Turns out nothing was wrong with my tailcap so I have a spare.

The new version of the Olight Javelot uses proprietary battery packs so it sucks. You have to get a new one when it dies and can't buy and replace the cells yourself. I have an M3XS-UT and it is 1200 lumens 250,000 candela and made well.

I have not held or used a HD Super, but I am buying one because from the two Malkoff's I recently bought, the quality is not even in the same zip code.

Then you have this:

nex69y.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I do agree with you that those all cost money. I'm simply trying to estimate my use, the product quality, warranty, and customer service it would require, from where I can figure out an amount to pay. As I mentioned above, the next logical step would be to compare those values of Malkoff and Klarus. I wasn't able to think this through last night :(.

Regarding your question, I was discussing the candela output of the two lights: The HD Super stays continuous at close to 70kcd for 1.25 hours on 2x18650, at $280, while the Klarus stays continuously above 70kcd for roughly 1.6 hrs, at $130. I read @INFRNL thread, for which I was able to list the HD Super figures as reference.

Well, in this thread, you've not stated your intended task(s) for this particular light :shrug:

Is more candela (intensity) "better" ? Maybe (throw), maybe not (glare) . Which is more important to you, lumens (total output) or lux (illuminance) ?

Is flat regulation helpful ?

Do you want or need more spill in the beam, or less ?

What are you trying to see, and how far away ? Is it moving, or fixed ? Are you standing and scanning the environment, or moving ?

To use a (hyperbolic and hopefully humorous) example, it seems like asking why a $100 jewelers hammer might cost more than a $50 sledge. After all, isn't a heavier hammer always better for pounding things ?

;)

QMT93

Enlightened
Yes, Olight M3XS-UT is a great option. The new Olight has integrated battery, which turned me down right away for the reason you mentioned. I've been trying to expand my options, since Olight has a few models requiring proprietary batteries, and I haven't been aware of how Olight fares with Klarus. Therefore, thank you for your vouching!

And yes, I read the Klarus declaration and put it down on my list. That only hurts customers.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with klarus but i guarantee you will not find customer service and support anywhere close to Malkoff from any other brand anywhere.

Gene Malkoff fully supports his products and his main concern is having happy customers. If you run into an issue, you talk to Gene directly.
Aside from that, you get one of the best USA made lights with all the support you need right here on the forums.

This alone is worth the premium to me. If you have an issue, especially after warranty on other devices, you have to buy a new light. Malkoff will take care of you.

Lastly, there are ways to get Malkoff for less than what you have quoted. If the hound dog super provides what you need, i wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Not specifically the super but many other Malkoff products, all parts are replaceable, can't find that on many lights, others want you to buy new lights.

My runtime tests show actual constant results. In the real world environment with proper air flow, results may be better, idk. Most companies put a claim on runtime without factual data. Also there are many variables to runtime that can only be seen in factual graphs.
Just my opinion and experience. Best of luck in your choice

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Everything stated above is very accurate, we have no idea what your use for the light is first of all, INFRNL said everything perfectly, and lol Peter.

QMT93

Enlightened
Well, in this thread, you've not stated your intended task(s) for this particular light :shrug:

Is more candela (intensity) "better" ? Maybe (throw), maybe not (glare) . Which is more important to you, lumens (total output) or lux (illuminance) ?

Is flat regulation helpful ?

Do you want or need more spill in the beam, or less ?

What are you trying to see, and how far away ? Is it moving, or fixed ? Are you standing and scanning the environment, or moving ?

To use a (hyperbolic and hopefully humorous) example, it seems like asking why a $100 jewelers hammer might cost more than a $50 sledge. After all, isn't a heavier hammer always better for pounding things ?

;)

That's a fair point.

I want to have a small one for EDC, and a thrower. The thrower serves as a backup and as a hobby. As a backup, it must work. As a hobby, it should look great when shinning the trees in the park where I walk at night. Believe me, I've never thought of staring at beam light afar as a hobby, but you lightheads got me into this. I got my wife a FourSevens MMX-360, and after shinning it a few times at the trees and seeing wildlife at night, I grew fond of it. Oddly satisfying:grin2:!

I am not familiar with klarus but i guarantee you will not find customer service and support anywhere close to Malkoff from any other brand anywhere.

Gene Malkoff fully supports his products and his main concern is having happy customers. If you run into an issue, you talk to Gene directly.
Aside from that, you get one of the best USA made lights with all the support you need right here on the forums.

This alone is worth the premium to me. If you have an issue, especially after warranty on other devices, you have to buy a new light. Malkoff will take care of you.

Lastly, there are ways to get Malkoff for less than what you have quoted. If the hound dog super provides what you need, i wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Not specifically the super but many other Malkoff products, all parts are replaceable, can't find that on many lights, others want you to buy new lights.

Yes, Malkoff quality, customer service, and especially the lego-ability are among the values I didn't think possible on flashlights. The only one light I have with me for more than five years is an Energizer one, which I can plug directly into walls to charge.

As mentioned above, the need/want ratio for the HD Super in my case would be 50 (as backup) : 50 (as hobby), hence I'm trying to figure out if it justifies my purchase.

QMT93

Enlightened
That runtime chart for the Klarus is not a thing of beauty.
P

LOL true. Does it have any effect on the light, because the output remains continuous for roughly 1.6 hrs, or am I seeing this wrong, which tends to happen a lot because I'm new :p?

Everything stated above is very accurate, we have no idea what your use for the light is first of all, INFRNL said everything perfectly, and lol Peter.

Yup, I agree with @INFRNL, just trying to balance things out.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you in a rush to get one of these lights? Are you interested in cool white or neutral? (I should probably reread your first post)

Discounts can be found for malkoffs, up to 25% off. Also the supers can sometimes be found in the market place.

The super with the hi/low ring makes for a great light imo. Are you located in the US? I will offer you this option, i am willing to send you a super to try if you are interested. You can use it to see what you think. We can go from there depending on your thoughts.

Pm me if you are interested in this opportunity

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL true. Does it have any effect on the light, because the output remains continuous for roughly 1.6 hrs, or am I seeing this wrong, which tends to happen a lot because I'm new :p?
It alright, I just hate how the manufacturers advertise a light at a certain output when the actuallity is less than 3/4 of that.
If Malkoff says a light is 900 lumens it's 900 lumens, I think that integrity is why I buy them.
P

QMT93

Enlightened
That is too kind of you. Your information is good enough for me.

I'm waiting for the 4th to purchase lights, for which I thought it'd be beneficial to do as much reading as possible.

Initially, I want the CW since it is brighter. However, after reading that 5kcd has little to no practical difference, and that the NW offers a closer-to-life view, I'm reconsidering my options.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Initially, I want the CW since it is brighter. However, after reading that 5kcd has little to no practical difference, and that the NW offers a closer-to-life view, I'm reconsidering my options.

It's already started ... the longer you are around here, the less output you'll want (LOL) :crackup:

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a neutral guy myself. Grizzman is a fellow Malkoff junkie that did a test for me before i got my light meters. The difference between cool white and neutral on the super is null. However in this case there are no wrong choices. The cool white super is not overly cool but i still prefer the neutral.

I used to not be interested in malkoff because of only having 2 output modes. I came from 4/7s before.... After my first malkoff purchase i was hooked. I now have around 65 malkoffs (mainly for testing) and i have learned a lot about lights along the way and have grown to love the simplicity of fewer modes

QMT93

Enlightened
@archimedes: wait, that went over my head lol. Can you elaborate it? Am I moving in the right direction of choosing flashlights???

@peter yetman: I checked out HDS, SkyLumen, OverReady, Prometheus, and some others. I doubt you can talk me into buying one of those at full price, but I want to see you try lol. I have to admit they do look awesome.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you try an hds, you might think otherwise.

Luckily, it's fairly easy to find an hds in the market place for good prices.

My justification for hds is similar to Malkoff. However in this case...you get 24 modes which is many lights all packed into one. If you bought several lights that accomplishes 2hat an hds does, the price becomes easily justified.

Back on track... Another great option to the super are the other hound dogs.