• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Another Malkoff Junkie Group Buy Thread (Neutral M91B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking to pick up an M91 and missed out recently.
Some of you expressed interest in a Warm 4000K-5000K M91B.
I will reach out to Gene and see if he would put together a run if there is enough interest.

The fine print.
-This isn't necessarily a sure thing. (I think 20 would be the minimum).
-There are a lot of people here who know way more about this than I do and would like to hear a discussion on emitter choice. I am not partial to HiCri.
-I have posted a poll with a temp preference and we can discuss emitter choices separately.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Re: Another Malkoff Junkie Group Buy Thread (Warm M91B)

First in with the 5000K...

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I would most certainly purchase either one, but I voted for 5000K.

I actually think that 4500K would be perfect; each emitter will be on one side or the other anyhow.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't a warm M91 have an emitter that is at the very least in the 3000k range? And isn't that already an option? The color temps suggested seem to be neutral​ to me...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would accept any option between 4000 and 5000.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I'd go for a 4000 k

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, I realize this is currently an "interest thread" but if you plan to convert it to an actual Group Buy, you will need a separate post listing those signed up. It is best if this is early in the thread, ideally on the first page.

There are a number of other rules specific to GB, and it may be useful to review some of the recent successful threads for these details.

This is an interesting project, good luck !

tuelleric

Enlightened
Would love to get one in 4000K! The current tint options are the only reason for me to hold back on the M91B. I want it to match with my neutral HD, WC and M61N. Thanks for this thread!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
........ and would like to hear a discussion on emitter choice.
Do we know what the emitter is in the regular M91B? (It's XP-L, just looked it up).
Surely if you start messing with different emitters, rather than the same emitter with a lower CT, the beam shape will be affected.

Sorry if you didn't mean to start the emitter discussion here. I can move it somewhere else if you wish.

I voted 5000k but I'd be happier with 4500k.

P

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we know what the emitter is in the regular M91B?
Surely if you start messing with different emitters, rather than the same emitter with a lower CT, the beam shape will be affected.

Sorry if you didn't mean to start the emitter discussion here. I can move it somewhere else if you wish.

P
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would most certainly purchase either one, but I voted for 5000K.

I actually think that 4500K would be perfect; each emitter will be on one side or the other anyhow.

Do we know what the emitter is in the regular M91B?

P

I voted 4000K but I also agree that 4500K would be the best. I have always been on the fence with regards to the M91 since the choice was either warm or cool but a neutral 4500K should be just right for me.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "might" have a 4000K XP-L M91BN and have to say it "might" be really, really nice. That said, I'm sure I'd like a 5000K as well.

How about this LED. 5000K XP-L2 90CRI U6. Lower CRI, higher bins are available, but in general, this crowd appreciates higher CRI.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...IOPpR4S5%2B3nSBSgb9IoHLoHQoR0gZbAAg4Z2CUaGOtz

I'd be game for going "backwards" to an XM-L(2) in order to avoid the goofy purple corona the XP-L series has.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
would the XM-L2 not screw up the beam pattern that everyone raves about on the XP-L?
That's a proper question, not a rhetorical one.
P

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
would the XM-L2 not screw up the beam pattern that everyone raves about on the XP-L?
P

The XP-L and XM-L series share the same die size, so focus and beam pattern should remain unchanged provided the larger XM footprint fits.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
P

I used to rave about the M61 XM-L when I had one so I think a little more flood would be great. Everyone's use will be different though.

tuelleric

Enlightened
The XP-L and XM-L series share the same die size, so focus and beam pattern should remain unchanged provided the larger XM footprint fits.

M91 and M61 use the same reflector, which has a 5 mm emitter hole diameter and is optimized for a 3.45 mm x 3.45 mm LED such as XP-G and XP-L. In the original M91, the reflector sits on top of the 5 mm x 5 mm base plate of the XM-L. The beam is much broader, as the emitter is slightly out of focus. So without modifying the reflector, the beam would look different, although the emitter size is the same.

Is there actually any advantage using a XM-L over a XP-L? The only one I can think of is better heat transfer from the LED to the PCB...

For reference my original M91:

36115186yl.jpeg

And a link to the M91B frome Gene's website:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0931/7326/products/M91_800x.jpg?v=1441727054

Status
Not open for further replies.