Titanium 18650, tritium inserts

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
Background:

I've found the Astrolux S41S (with an extender for the 18650 battery and a tritium vial on lanyard) to be a great travel light (with a few exceptions). Let me explain:

* It starts in moonlight mode (I think about 0.5-1 lumen). Great for not blinding myself in the middle of the night in a hotel room I can't find my way around.
* It has a great flood beam for searching for things dropped under beds, airplane seats, etc.
* The various modes always seem to let me find a good level of output for what I need
* It has enough power to check out what's going on in the yard
* It has a very sturdy feel
* It takes an 18650 (and I carry a USB-rechargeable 18650 in it, so I can always charge it)
* It can stand on the tail cap (although not well)
* It can also take a single 18350 (or even a CR123A in a pinch)
* It has a good grip (tough knurling, maybe a tad too aggressive)
* It goes in the pocket fairly well (could be better--again, that knurling is somewhat aggressive). It doesn't have any sharp areas that would poke (like a defense bezel). I want a smooth light with enough grip that I won't drop it easily.

It has a few cons which I'm hoping to be able to correct with my next light:

* It is heavy (made from stainless steel). I like the sturdyness, but I'd prefer titanium for weight.
* I'm worried that the 1600 lumen mode creates too much heat. I forget where, but I read a post about someone burning one out. I want my light to not let me break it as long as I'm using it with the modes it provides.
* It can roll off the counter (perfectly round). I'd prefer a bezel or clip or something that would prevent this. My old surefire 6P LED Defender did a good job of this with the hex bezel, but I just need a slight notch or something.
* It has no tritium inserts so I need to put the tritium on a lanyard
* It's wider than it needs to be (thick stainless)
* The tailcap looks weird in semi-clear rubber
* There are a few too many modes and special clicks needed

I've filled out the questionnaire below.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $300. (hopefully? I know titanium can add a lot)

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

Single 18650 (if it could adjust to fit other lithium cells (e.g., with a smaller extender tube), that would be cool)

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED - bonus would be a warmer beam and/or higher CRI numbers

6) Manufacturer:

Any of the following:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

18650. I'd prefer if it could also take two CR123As

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

Must have: option to swap battery
Would prefer: option to charge via USB (preferably USB-C, but I'll take USB micro) (would not give up waterproofness for this)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

This is going to be a "travel" light

I like the moonlight (~1 lumen?) default mode of the Astrolux S41S.
I'd like several modes going up to 1000 lumens.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Again, I like the Astrolux S41S here: pretty wide, but at 1000 lumens, you can light up a yard. No "hot center", but it could be a tad narrower than the S41S.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

Both of these:
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

As long as the light is competitively efficient, I'll be happy with whatever my 18650 can deliver.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
I've heard concerns about the Astrolux S41S at the max output. I would want to be confident that I could run this thing at max output and it wouldn't overheat and break. If that means cutting down the output after a few minutes of run time, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Just don't surprise me by breaking.

I want to have this light for a long time - maybe even pass it on some day.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

Probably (what I'm most used to): I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I'd also consider: "I want a programmable light."

Less important, but potentially desirable:
I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

I'd prefer IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
I would like flexibility here, but practically speaking, it will probably be in the house 95% of the time. The other case would be in an automobile potentially.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Needs:
* As compact as an 18650 can be (no extra length or width used up without reason)
* Tritium placed so it would be hard to not be able to see at least one tritium
* Replaceable tritium (worried about gluing tritium in and not being able to replace after they half life away)
* First click is moonlight mode
* Not perfectly round (so it won't roll off a counter)
* Stable on its tail cap pointed at the ceiling (like a lanturn) the Astrolux S41S tail cap design makes it somewhat unstable when pointed at the ceiling

Wants:
* Charge indicator (or low bat warning giving maybe 30% left?)
* Low red light would be great, but not needed
* Magnetic charge port would be cool