Children's flashlight

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for options for a flashlight for my kids. My oldest is turning 4 this September, and I'd like to get him a light for his bedroom. It's somewhat for fun, but also somewhat so he has a way of finding toys that have gone under his bed, etc.

My primary concerns are:
* Safety!! I don't want to blind him or burn him. The light can't get so bright that it would be dangerous to look at the emitter, so perhaps an emitter that doesn't show the LEDs directly but rather reflects them on an orange-peel background?
* Auto-off feature (because he will surely leave it on frequently - 10 minute cutoff?)

Secondarily (these seem pretty easy to satisfy):
* Rechargeable (18650? 26650? USB?)
* Durability (he's going to be rough with it, but then again, it won't be a mission critical light. I just want something that won't break if it gets dropped off of counter height / ~1m)
* Easy to find (not some tiny thing)
* Fairly wide beam (so it's easy to use)

Thoughts?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, unless you are going to monitor closely Li-On batteries aren't for newbies or young kids. I would look at something that was AA cell or even C.

Something fun like a basic Dorcy 4125-10, with 55 L and 8.5 hr runtime for $10?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something fun like a basic Dorcy 4125-10, with 55 L and 8.5 hr runtime for $10?
55lm for a 4-year old?

How many of us have as children picked up a 2 D-cell flashlight at night, looked straight into it, and turned it on? Bad enough with such a weak flashlight, but with a 55lm flashlight? Yikes!

Might have better luck with a cheapo "shower head" type flashlight with lots of low-power emitters. You could even take the outer lens off and use a Scotch-Brite to scuff up the LEDs to make them diffuse light more. You could even paint the inside of that same lens with something like Dupli-Color MetalCast Yellow to further soften the light.

Those 'showerhead' flashlights are fairly easy on AAA or AA cells as well, so runtime, even with "oops, left it on" would be decent.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the 9 LED varieties that I have seen are durable, easy to find or have any type of longevity. The ones I have seen are trash and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

1987 Playskool flashlight 2C cells used a standard bulb like unto a Maglite...target market was preschool aged kids, around 30L, not a big deal. All 4 of my kids had the Playskool flashlight as a starter, Hasbro sold them for at least 10 years, so I imagine it wasn't lawsuits from damaged retinas that brought an end to their production. It even had a timed light off function with a trigger.

My kids also have more powerful lights now but never shine them in their own eyes, but then they know better because of experience & parental instruction with looking at any lighting source such as interior lighting or the sun. The OP can be the judge of how bright they want their child to have and will have to choose accordingly.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Auto-off would be a tall order for most any of the common lights, so I'm thinking 1xAA (or perhaps 2x) NiMH rechargeable cells; Eneloops are very robust and probably the best cell to hammer with deep & repetitive discharges.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I let my granddaughters (3 and 5 years) use Nitecore Tubes when they visit us.

1 & 45 lumens, plus they need to bring them back to me for recharging, I don't let them charge them and I wouldn't let youngsters have any light that they can take the battery out of.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I let my granddaughters (3 and 5 years) use Nitecore Tubes when they visit us.

1 & 45 lumens, plus they need to bring them back to me for recharging, I don't let them charge them and I wouldn't let youngsters have any light that they can take the battery out of.

As much as I love Nitecore's Tube (One now lives on my main keychain and has done so for several months), I think it's a little too small for a very young child. Choking hazard.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love Nitecore's Tube (One now lives on my main keychain and has done so for several months), I think it's a little too small for a very young child. Choking hazard.

The 3 year old is fine with it, she's past the stage of putting things in her mouth and the 5 year old can play with Lego!

It obviously depends on each kids development, that's not a blanket recommendation.

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
I've also used the nitecore tubes. They do seem like a pretty good option for kids. No auto-off feature though, so I do find them dead often.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Granted the child is past the stage of potentially choking on smaller objects, I found the Fenix CL05 to be fun for kids. Runs on a single AAA, twisty switch, very diffused light; not very bright with a max of 8 lumens. Almost like a small lantern with a few colored and blinky modes.

I believe Fenix discontinued them recently but some places may still a few left.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually give my youngest alkaline batteries that are needing to be completely drained, I keep them around just for that purpose.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My 4 year old plays with my surefire G2 with m60LL. Whatever you decide please, Lithium ion. Could be bad.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Harbor freight freebies... comes with batteries, easy to use, and no big deal if they break or lose it. I keep a small supply of these on hand just for this purpose.