Left Android; Joined IOS

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few years back I was all in for the Android operating system. 110%. Windows glitches and Apple handcuffs were the big reasons. Little by little there was less time in a chair dedicated to a computer table and more time using a hand held. At first life was grand. Of course big money changed all that.

With each Android upgrade came little nuances the geeks were all excited about but for me, the casual user I noticed a trend that caused my experiences to be less enjoyable. Favorite apps gone, favorite features replaced with apple-esque copies etc. Also noticed was finding good hardware was becoming an issue. Each device failed a little faster than the previous. Didn't matter which brand. My last Android device was going to be that if something didn't change.

At my work they issued iPhone 5s devices. Man, I hated it at first. In time I adapted. And noticing some of my old favs from the early Android days were now available at Apple, I began to rethink my opinion of Apple. I've been through three Androids while the 5s has been flawless except when a school bus drove over it in its first year. It was squashed like a pack of ketchup but still worked. I could still answer phone calls.

So Monday afternoon I noticed the screen on my Android was swelling away from the body. Swelling? Oh this ain't good. That's it, I'm done. That one wasn't even paid off yet. Off to the phone store I go. Hey phone store lady, sell me an iPhone. Mrs Fixers new Android had a red line on the screen. Permanently. "Can I have an iPhone too? " she asked. My devices were outlasting hers so we tossed another in the cart.

It took a decade but I now understand what all the fuss is about. Android is out. My Apple loving family says "about time". The Apple in my house is no longer in a fruit bowl.…

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. You should go check out a youtube channel called Louis Rossman. He services Apple products but you may not like what he has to say about them. Nowadays the two are mostly equivalent in so far as features go...but I would never say that Apple devices are good products. My Note 3 has been with me for 5 years or so and the worst problem I had with it was just recently when I had to replace the battery. Of course replacing the battery was no issue as I just popped off the back cover and swapped it out once the new battery arrived. No heat gun or suction cup required.

I've seen some people treat their smartphones like they treat their wallets or maybe their car keys. Stuff it into their back pocket and sit on it then toss it onto a table or bench. It would be nice if I had the kind of disposable income that I didn't have to worry about my phone lasting through the end of the day but that is not the case and my Note 3 likely will not be replaced any time soon... but as much because of it's removable back cover and SD card slot as the high cost of a replacement.

I wish you luck with your new journey.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh, it was torturous to think 'no more SD Card'or my favorite macgeyver dev photo editor app and a few other things. But I think it'll be OK.

I don't do the cloud thing so dumping the hard drive more often will become a routine like dumping my SLR camera cards onto a waiting mirrored backup device. A habit I shoulda been doing with Android devices anyway. One day on vacation my Android device developed a glitch and hid all my photos. They were there, just hidden. First World problems like when the battery in a wrist watch runs outta juice while timing a batch of brownies. Fixable but inconvenient.

But Android left me back at Froyo.

Empath

Flashaholic
Apple vs. Android vs. Microsoft threads, while capable of interesting commentary, also has a tendency to become an unmanageable flame magnet.

We can attempt it for a bit. It will be closed, though, if it appears that loss-of-control approaches.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Empath,

I knew of the potential for things to go beyond a lively discussion. But so far so good.

I fear someday I may saying "apple sucks" again. lol. But for now it's all smiles.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cell phone Carrier "Republic Wireless" charges me about $20 a month for unlimited data and voice using CDMA network with 1 GB of data which I only fully used once in about 4 years. They do not do Apple products. My employer provides an Apple laptop and we have an iPad Pro (couple years old) and an ancient iPad 2. All three work well for the most part.

It sounds like the OP is more frustrated with a specific Android device as opposed to the operating system. Since the Samsung S5 I haven't had a software issue on any of our many phones. Of course we limit the apps on these phones, especially those that access the same data that can be accessed through the web browser...like this forum, and all others.

But of course Apple is a nice system that works for millions. Just a little razzing from an ex "Apple only" bigot. :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Probably not IH.

Haha, about a year ago I did a cel-light wars and found my HTC was brighter with more throw, but my work phone 5s was more neutral and better dispersed. Now that was with factory installed lights. My new Apple cel-light has 4 beam settings. Thankfully no strobe though.

Probably not IH.

Haha, about a year ago I did a cel-light wars and found my HTC was brighter with more throw, but my work phone 5s was more neutral and better dispersed. Now that was with factory installed lights. My new Apple cel-light has 4 beam settings. Thankfully no strobe though.

Oh, there's a strobe... there's a strobe. :whistle:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
C'mon folks; what is a roundtable OS discussion without Microsoft :flame:

Recent news story re: a Bill Gates interview; he said that his biggest mistake ever was MS not putting more effort into Windows Phone. :whistle:
Bill Gates said:
"There is room in the marketplace for exactly /one/ non-IOS."
- June 2019

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Recent news story re: a Bill Gates interview; he said that his biggest mistake ever was MS not putting more effort into Windows Phone. :whistle:

Nokia 808/1020 still to this day have the best cameras of any phone, that's the total volume of my Windows phone knowledge..

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So the other day my boss did a face time on my work phone but my shine new Apple also rang. Hmm.

I looked on the web for answers and as usual google kept thinking I was asking about something unrelated. No I do not want to upgrade my iOS, but want to know why two completely separate account phones keep ringing with a call from work. It was like the old "party line" days of Ma Bell.

I showed a techno guy at work what was happening. Turns out my work phone and personal phone both had an email address set up to one of my gmail accounts. Now before you say "see I told you Apple sucks" read on. The young wiz-kid turned off a feature in my iPhone that allows computers to use email accounts (in this case Google accounts) to make robo calls to your phone. My Android device did not have that off switch. Since he turned off that ability my work phone that was once bombarded with spam calls is silent. Same with my shine new Apple.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Mr. Fixer, how come you don't want to upgrade your iOS? I laughed when I read that because it reminds me of my dad. LOL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
An upgrade had just happened the day before. The point I attempted to make was I typed "why iPhone with different phone number rings" type of verbage was in the search bar and the response by google was a whole bunch of ways to upgrade my iOS, or other completely unrelated answers.

Like when auto correct thinks when I want to say "gmail " it thinks I want to type "family" and takes the liberty of changing what I typed.