UV flashlight recommendation

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a high quality UV flashlight that I will mostly use to cure resins and fluxes (UV glue/cement) and for having fun with fluorescence and authenticating notes.

Looking to get one from Aliexpress and so far I've found two contenders: The Nitecore GEM10UV with 3000 mW of power and the MT1U with 900 mW of power at 365 nm.

Not sure if the former's more than triple output power would be noticable/needed or not. Prices are almost identical so which one should I chose? Do you recommend any other models?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard good things about the convoy uv but haven't had one. I have an HDS but they didn't make many

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the HDS. I have one and it is solid and built to last. Plus, it has the Woods lens. You may be able to post a WTB as only 30 were made.

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Guys I'm only interested in light I can get from Aliexpress since I don't have to pay for shipping to my country (Lebanon). I like the convoy s2+. How does the Nitecore MT1U compare? I've seen some lights with 3W outputs wouldn't that be better than 900 mW out those lights?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI for the Convoy S2 UV light (I have 3 of them to play with)-- 3,000 mW (3 Watt) input UV LED (power from battery).

Actual 365 nm UV output power is ~900-1,000 mW (0.9 - 1.0 Watt) of UV light... UV LED is only ~30% efficient conversion to UV light.

For Demitri's question... There is a likelihood that both flashlights have the same UV output because one light is spec'ing UV LED input power, and the other is spec'ing UV LED actual UV output power.

-Bill

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I've narrowed my choice down to either the Convoy S2 or the S2+. Not exactly sure what the difference is between the two so which one should I go for?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy a high quality UV flashlight that I will mostly use to cure resins and fluxes (UV glue/cement) and for having fun with fluorescence and authenticating notes.
For curing resins and fluxes a cheap UV light with 395nm shoudld also be ok. The disadvantage is the maximum intensity peak is not at 365nm. That means the cure process takes more time. Also a 395nm UV LED has still enough UV light in 365nm to cure stuff.
I also cured my NOA061 during the summer month in Germany with sunlight. Also this is no big issue and works.

If you want a perfect solution you need to get the mentioned UV HDS light, or a light that has a "high power" Nichia LED with 365nm peak (i.e. NCSU033A, ...B, ...C, NVSC233A, ..B).

Last edited: