Energizer LED Folding Lantern review

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Bought this last fall. Disappointed for many reasons.
1) Just now it stopped running. No "fade to black" or warning flashes - even though it has an adjustable brightness feature with several steps. Worse, when I dropped pairs of the eight AA cells into my Mini Mag -- it is shining brightly. So its wasting a lot of the power still in the cells. You can run this light using either 4 or 8 AAs. Its supposed to run longer with all eight.

The LEDs are in the edge of a clear plastic rectangle, and you can rotate it so light shines out both sides. When closed, light bounces off a white background on the face of the battery pack portion.

2) The carry handle is narrow. When you pivot the mechanism to aim the lens, it pinches the palm of the hand, it could give you a blood blister. So you have to manipulate the light with both hands to avoid doing this -- this interrupts your use of the light.

3) Both the lens and the stand are very difficult to deploy one-handed. You need to hold the light with both hands on either side and "push" with both thumbs to disengage the stand from the closed position. For the light, you need to do the same thing from the opposite side. Better to have designed a central "indent" where you can push with your fingers.

Nice concept, but a bad design in all respects, not noticed because they must be idiots.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer does have a lot of good ideas that they ruin by cheaping out on build quality and overlooking details.

I thought the folding lantern, along with the pop up lantern are some of the high points of energizer's line up. The folding lantern's screen does a good job of reducing glare and if I remember right, there is no noticeable PWM. I also like how it folds flat for storage. I didn't mind that it shuts off without draining the batteries all the way down when using eneloops (no worries with over discharge). I don't like the switch button (big and squishy but you need to press it right in the center to get it to work) and the overall construction seems fairly light duty and not all that water resistant. The kick stand is very hard to deploy and seems like it will break easily. A warmer tint would be nice too.