Lighting an Indoor Shooting Range for Photography

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I'll freely admit that I'm inexperienced when it comes to indoor photography, so apologies in advance!

I'm UK based so most of my shooting is outdoor clay pigeon. I recently had the opportunity to fire some more exotic firearms on a visit to Poland.

The range we were visiting appeared to be outdoors but turned out to be a relatively dark building (the shooter is lit from behind by strip lights) opening out to an outdoor range.

I didn't have any means of lighting the shooting booths and the camera struggled accordingly, locking up frequently and giving very grainy images. I was under a lot of time pressure when setting up so didn't have the time to take readings or test shots before I had to scuttle back behind the booths.

I plan on returning later this year and would like to try for some better images.

As I'll be shooting video as well I'd like to set up a constant light source.

My current thought is to pin a few white sheets of A3 to the sides and surface of the booth, and hang a diffused light source from the ceiling of the booth. Edit: From reviewing the pics I think my best option is maybe pointing a diffused light source back towards the shooter from their front.

My main question is; what would my fellow flashaholics consider a suitable light source (and diffuser) for such a set up?

I have an eclectic collection of flashlights that I've picked up over the years including an MD2, Elzetta, several AA hi cri ZLs and more recent Astrolux S42/3s (and not forgetting various incan SFs and Pilas).

I'll try and post an image from last time to illustrate the conditions.

Cam setup is a Fuji XT2 with a 10-24 lens on a tripod, remotely triggered. I'd like enough light to be able to go to higher shutter speeds as I can shoot up to 14fps with a grip.

6WUTQVv.jpg

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

jacenrider

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I'm LA based and have worked on several video shoots. When shooting in a dark indoor room, we always are sure to bring a lot of lights to make the appearance of casual daytime. However, your challenge is going to be lighting up that much space as you're going to be shooting into the air. So you won't know the exact area to light up. If I were you, I would setup a couple of flood lights, then get some reflectors to focus in on the areas in which you think you might be shooting (within a 10-15 feet margin).

Hope this helps!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a couple of the variable color temperature LED light panels that can be powered by video camera batteries.

I've got a few panels by Viltrox that use the Sony NP-F550 batteries.

The panels are adjustable for both color and brightness.

Amazon sells them for anywhere between $25-40 USD.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, was really looking for a compact solution that won't require dedicated batteries. Will have a look at some of the versions that take AAs.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, look at the Viltrox panels as they can be powered by cam corset batteries or an ac/dc wall warts.
The panels I purchased were 4x12x.75 thick.

Very compact for the light output.