Ebay P90 Knockoff's. Anyone use these?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Has anyone used these before? For the low price, I guess it's not much of a gamble to pick a few up. I'm just not sure whether or not these lamps are going to be up to the task of being driven by 2X26650.

... external direct link replaced with brand name ...

"G90 Hugsby S3 WF-501C 502C 9V Replcement Xenon Bulb Assembly for Surefire 9P G3"

Last edited by a moderator:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I have. I had a Surefire P90 that had this very out of round beam. A very oval hotspot. I actually own 2 or 3, but for some reason, I never tried the other P90 to see if the oval hotspot was normal or not. The P90 had a pointy bulb that looks like one of those tiny Christmas tree lights. The Xenon bulbs you linked here have a rounded bulb like a P60. My experience is that the beam is nice and clean with a nice round hotspot. They are not as nicely made or executed as the Surefire bulbs. They lack the very nice heat protection for the batteries that is built into the Surefire assembly. And I'd dare to say that the springs and soldering aren't as nice. Having said that, I haven't had any issues with the bulbs so far.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I have. I had a Surefire P90 that had this very out of round beam. A very oval hotspot. I actually own 2 or 3, but for some reason, I never tried the other P90 to see if the oval hotspot was normal or not. The P90 had a pointy bulb that looks like one of those tiny Christmas tree lights. The Xenon bulbs you linked here have a rounded bulb like a P60. My experience is that the beam is nice and clean with a nice round hotspot. They are not as nicely made or executed as the Surefire bulbs. They lack the very nice heat protection for the batteries that is built into the Surefire assembly. And I'd dare to say that the springs and soldering aren't as nice. Having said that, I haven't had any issues with the bulbs so far.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Any comments on the bulbs longevity? Do then darken quickly? What kind of cells are you using?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Posting direct advertising-type external links is discouraged, as this simply increases the spam we have to deal with here.

OP has been edited to replace the link with the brand name item ... searching for that exact text string (including the identically misspelled word in the original) should likely yield the item referenced.

Thanks for your understanding :)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
My original bulb still hasn't burned out. I don't use it a whole lot though, since the run time is pretty short with the batteries I'm using. I'm running a pair of red AW18350s in a C2 Centurion bored out by Oveready.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've never had a P60 or P90 that didn't have an oval beam. Now LF incandescent bulbs are fantastic and very round.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I noticed that on Ebay there are several different lumens ratings for the bulbs from different sellers, from 200 lumens to 300 lumens. All appear exactly the same though, including the model number.

I wonder if it's a typo, or if there is genuinely a difference between the bulbs?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Code:
 [url=https://imgflip.com/i/34kscy][img]https://i.imgflip.com/34kscy.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/url]

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Haha, I'm well aware of the [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]ridiculous output claims some of these sellers on Ebay use :)

The only thing worse is the ratings sellers put on Binoculars and Telescopes. I'm real sure 1000X magnification looks real good through your 50mm "Spy Scope" :crackup:

All jokes aside, I wonder how these company's/sellers are able to do this and not get sued for false advertisement.
[/FONT]

Lumen83

Enlightened
I haven't used those in particular but I have used chinese knockoffs that far exceed the beam quality of the p60. Perfect round hotspot, lots of spill, etc. Whether they are as durable as the p60 is doubtful. However, I have two that I have used daily for the last year and about 8 months. They've been dropped and beat on and they are still going strong.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Reports sound pretty good it seems. I am curious as to how they the lamps will hold up to 2X26650's. These cells push the lamp quite a bit harder than what most are using.

Only one way to find out I guess.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There's nothing like the original P60 P90. I have been slowly stocking up on them over the past year.Dont like the fact that someday they might not be around.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have P60 in a G2 and P90 in a 9P. These light bulbs, especially P90 I still find decent. Yes, P90 has oval hotspot but P90 has pretty round.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember a while back reading about the less than perfect circle SureFire beams and had never really noticed or even cared tbh. When comparing a Tads bulb to a SureFire on a wall the difference was striking in favor of the Tads bulb.

Later when walking through the woods with a 6P the difference did not matter at all. Perhaps the hoot owl cared? But I didn't. The throw from the P60 mattered way more to me.

My stock Pentagon X3 threw way farther than a stock 9P, but I suppose that is from the oversized head. I stocked up on 9 volt Pentagon modules and gave away my 9P. No regrets.