Truck repair? Scrap? advice

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm seeking advice as to the best course of action for my truck. The head gasket is blown and it will cost in the $700-1000 range to fix it, depending on the condition of the heads etc.. But if I do that I still have the same engine that has at least 170k miles (odometer doesn't work).
So I am considering getting a rebuilt engine put in, but that will be in the $2000-2300 range. And I'll still have a 1988 truck in most other aspects.
So my options are (please feel free to suggest others)
Replace head gaskets
Replace engine
Replace truck (or start to think about it)
The info on the truck--
This is a 1988 Chevy 3/4 ton 8 cyl 4WD truck crew cab, full box.
A friend bought it in Indiana, for $1000, and put a lot of time, effort and care into fixing the body. It does have some other problems that could use fixing but no serious safety issues. So any thoughts or suggestions would be more than welcome.
BTW we looked for a used truck for quite a while before getting this one. It met our list of needs almost 100%, any other truck we found that met our needs and was acceptable was in the $3000 range.
TIA

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened
just pry the head up enough to scrape off the old gasket and slide a new one in place and bolt it back up. Worst case scenario you're out the cost of a gasket and some silicone. Heck of a lot better than the $700-$1000 your mechanic wants to charge you. if the gasket blew because of another more serious problem then you can always try the "butter knife" rebuild - those are always the most fun!

Sean

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats an easy job.
you need a top end gasket kit and a tourque wrench in addition to normal tools.maybe line wrenches to deal with fuel lines on the tbi.
a friend and i did one in about 3 hours.
find a local machine shop to refurb your heads or recondition/crack check yours.
do both sides.
how is the oil pressure hot idling in gear?
any knocking?
if everything checks out replace the heads/gaskets.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
It's a Saturday job. From $50 to maybe $150 bucks for parts depending on whether you'll need head bolts or not plus your labor, which if your not the worlds best mechanic will take you 7-8 hours. If you have, or can borrow the tools and maybe have a friend who's tackled these jobs before, then go for it.

1. First, and this is important!. Check carefully to see if you'll need new head bolts, try questioning the guy at the local dealers parts counter. Many cars and trucks use head bolts that are heat treated to be harder at the ends than at the center of the bolt. These bolts, when torqued down are designed to actually twist like a liquorice stick a bit at the center so as to absorb differing expansion rates between the head and block, the twist is permanent. Those bolts are designed for a single use only and can't be re-used, you have to buy new ones. If you try to re-use them they'll snap at some point down the road, the gaskets will blow and you'll have to do the job all over again. Head bolt sets can get expensive. For my 1987 Ford Aerostar the dealer wanted $9 each, that's over $150 just for the bolts. Fortunately, I was able to find them from a local wholesaler for about $4 each so the whole job still cost me less that $180.00. The dealer wanted $1800.00 to do the job. I don't know if your truck needs them or not but all Ford V6 3.0 Vulcan blocked engines do (many Aerostar, most Taurus, some F150 PU).

2. Don't be intimidated by the job. It's really not all that difficult, just a bit labor intensive. I did the same job on my 1987 Ford Aerostar that had 193k when it blew both gaskets. I'm a pretty competent mechanic but that was a real job because minivans are no fun to work on. I'm glad now that I did the job rather than scrapping it because that was 5 years ago and the van now has 279k.

3. Go down to the local PEP Boys, R&S, Autozone, whatever and buy a service manual on your truck, check that it fully covers pulling the head and replacing the gasket. It should have good pictures and the torque specifications as well. Read the manual until your comfortable with the repair.

4. If you don't have one, then borrow a digital camera and take pictures from every angle in the engine compartment. Don't miss anything, you'll be real glad you did later on when your trying to figure out what goes back where, by the end of the day you will have forgotton where everything goes, guaranted. Shoot closeups of where wires and plugs go, etc.

Also, don't skimp on the gaskets. There are the run-of-the-mill sets for maybe $35.00 and then there are the blow-proof sets for about $60.00. Go for the blow-proof sets if you can find them. Cars (and trucks) can really last a long time if their carefully maintained and the popular mind set that cars get too expensive to repair after a time is usually just plain wrong. A new car or truck can easily cost 18-20k+. I can do one hell of a lot of repairing for 20 grand.

Do not use silicone sealer on the valve covers or head gaskets. A lot of so-called mechanics have done this and there have been no end of lunched engines as a result. What happens is that if too much sealer is used, when the bolts are tightened, excess sealer is squeezed out and protrudes into the inside of the valve cover where it is heated and softened by hot oil and eventually comes off in little round balls that lodge in oil passages or the oil pump pickup, blocking the flow. Usually the rod bearings wipe out from oil starvation. Use the proper gaskets and never use silicone where it could get into the engine oil.

I have personally seen a least a half dozen blown engines where this is exactly what happened. Typically, a mechanic(?) repairs leaking valve covers by smearing them with silicone sealer. A week or two later, a few hundred miles down the road the engine wipes out. Disassemble the engine and find little blue rubber balls doing a great job as corks.

Silicone sealer is great stuff, and used correctly in the thinnest of layers, it works wonders but nearly everyone uses way too much.

Al

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
W,
I have to agree with the posters who say 'fix it'.

While Im out of town, I hired my mechanic to rebuild my 89 Chev. 1500 pick up.

By the time Im home it will have......

New front end parts
Control arm bushings, stearing links, tie rods, all
rubber parts, ball joints, all that kind of stuff.
Perhpas some new springs as well. Never much liked
the 'low rider' look

new brake system
rotors, calipers, hoses, drums, pads, shoes,
bearings, hardware

new radiator
This little gem failed about two weeks before I took
the job.

new windshield
The crack was just too long for a virginia inspector to
ignore.

rebuilt auto transmission
rebuilt engine
Ive asked for preimum rebuilt units. Had one car with a
Jasper motor in it, the rest of the car failed before
the motor did. In my case it's the large GM V6. This is
the first GM V6 that I have not been able to kill.

This time im asking for a Jasper transmission as well.
With a shift kit.

The existing units are old. I get once in a while sporadic shift issues with the transmission, and the engine was showing signs of blue on start up. Ive asked for all kinds of little things to be updated as well. While the engine is being swapped, EGR valves, rubber parts, vacume hosing, check over the power steering system, all that kind of stuff.

freon 132 (or what ever the new gas is) conversion for the AC

My goal is to get about 5 more years out of the thing. Hopefully five years with minimal issues. It turned 200k just before I left town. I want another 150 to 200k before it's junked sometime before 2010. The metal is good, as is the paint.

This is much cheaper (8 to 10k) than buying a new one (17 to 20K).
I also won't have to transplant my ham radios either.

Been looking for bed caps that can be set up as small campers.

Been looking at new seats that are more road trip worthy than the factory default seat.

A cruise control for a trip around the country when I get back to the world. I have this dream of visiting some places and taking my little JRT Myla along for the ride.

44 won't be too old for a crazy road trip, I hope.

Some new ham radio stuff. I want to put in the 10m radio and amplifier, pick up a 6m mulit mode radio. Perhaps an XM radio and new speakers in all four corners.

I don't want to see another payment book until the wife and I go to buy a home.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I absolutely HATE engine repair.

That said, I'd tackle this job! The Chevy Small Block is "the" V-8. The knowledge base and parts base for them is AWESOME!

Some of the head castings were pure crap. I would seriously consider putting new/rebuilt heads on it. Everything else should R&R just fine. Use good Felpro gaskets!

And I don't know about you, but I get a fair amount of satisfaction out of saving serious cash!!!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Fix it
Assuming you have the 350ci engine, parts are enormously available and cheap. You can buy a new motor for about $1,200 (uninstalled).

If you go out and buy another cheap truck, who's to say you won't have the same problems. Let's say you have $4,000 in it when you are done fixing things, that's still a super cheap full size 4wd Crew Cab.

If the truck is riddled with rust then disregard.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the head bolts are reusable.and get a felpro gasket set.
follow the instructions to the letter.
and some late model castings were lightened up and tend to crack more easily.getting ready to do a 88 g20 350 that has a low hole.seems to have a crack blowing into the valley.
got a set of old orange painted 60's heads torn down ready to magnaflux as we type.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive done a few head gaskets but never one on a 350 i bet them heads are heavy i assume there cast iron still? i like on 4 bangers aluminum heads there light to take off,but a course ya have the cam in heads on them makeing it a tad harder.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont think they are that heavy.
i pick them up with one hand after the gasket is broke free.
the aluminum jap cars are often a easy job esp if they have a rubber band cam drive rather than a chain.me and my neighbor did a mazda in about an hour.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have to put valve stem seals .and rear main seal in like a 81 model 305 chevyprobaly oil pan gasket and maybe front seal to is it hard.i seldem work on v8s

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those old chevy trucks will last forever. Head gasket isn't that bad on that age either, not a lot of stuff to move out of the way. You will need a torque wrench, go to sears and buy the beam type, you don't need the fancy clickie or digital and those have to be recalibrated anyway, the beam you just align the little pointer yourself and they are less than $50.

simbad

Enlightened
I would be very happy if I can do that job in my old van because the problem is that is a diesel engine and are very difficult to work on them , starting from the injection pump there is no way to make a mistake on them and I am talking about a truck ( like a Econoline in European version), if you have a look the cars here how small are basically where the engine is , there si no room even to put a screwdriver in between the rubber hoses or plastic covers.Imagine to work in a simple job like an oil and filter change in few cars you´ve got to pull out few parts to get access to the bottom.Lots of labour hours, lots of electronics like "tunning cars"(Peugeot-Citroen-Fiat etc)
Anyway, the last age of cars or trucks that you can do-it-yourself are the 80's ones.I love them.

Latest posts