Jetbeam        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New and upgraded Fraz Mechanical Smart Materials flashlights

Default Re: New and upgraded Fraz Mechanical Smart Materials flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post

Upgraded design and some new info at the sales thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Battery-Crush)
    Absolutely awesome. Love the design(s).
    How much of a “hotrod” is the nugget? Have you checked temperatures at all at the head or the body?

*edit* meant to ask about the Lumenite. But the nugget looks fun too.
    Last edited by Lane32x; 09-23-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane32x View Post
    Absolutely awesome. Love the design(s).
    How much of a “hotrod” is the nugget? Have you checked temperatures at all at the head or the body?
    Thank you. No, I have not checked the actual temp on the Tiny Nugget. I suspect it is somewhere in the 700 - 1000 lumen range on a fresh 18350. It seems to be a bit dimmer than the bigger lights and so far I attribute that to the battery chemistry of the 18350 batteries I've used, and the smaller/floodier optic. The Tiny Nuggets use the same emitter as the Lumenite and Big E.

All 3 lights will get quite hot if left on full bright and unattended for long periods (which I don't recommend). They will only get warm if left on high in the hand. They are all heat-sinked well with machine screws anchoring the copper MCPCB to the heat sink, and there is a little extra 'beef' in all of them because of the mechanical nature (lack of circuitry or temp cutoff modes) of the light.

That being said, the Lumenite 26350 and Tiny Nugget are very bright for their size. Especially the Lumenite 26350 - I suspect it'll do north of 1200 lumens and much more throw than my original Qzark designs.

-Fraz

I looked at the pictures a second time and the Lumenite was definitely the one I was thinking of.
    Someone posted a pic of it over on a Mark Zuckerberg site and I can’t stop thinking about it. Ha ha.

I'm looking forward to this design and it's evolution. Simple works and simple lasts. Most folks who have never machined anything, don't understand the scale of whats involved. It's time and money consuming to say the least. The devil (and profit margins) is in the details. It's not a easy road. Thanks for the time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane32x View Post
    I looked at the pictures a second time and the Lumenite was definitely the one I was thinking of.
    Someone posted a pic of it over on a Mark Zuckerberg site and I can’t stop thinking about it. Ha ha.
    Glad it catches the eye . Making more right now!

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    I'm looking forward to this design and it's evolution. Simple works and simple lasts. Most folks who have never machined anything, don't understand the scale of whats involved. It's time and money consuming to say the least. The devil (and profit margins) is in the details. It's not a easy road. Thanks for the time and effort.
    Thank you! It's been a lot of fun/stress designing this thing. The thing I've noticed most is how hard it is to make things simple. If I come across a problem I always try to redesign rather than add a new part (a band-aid), to make sure the possible failure points stay minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFraz View Post
    Thank you! It's been a lot of fun/stress designing this thing. The thing I've noticed most is how hard it is to make things simple. If I come across a problem I always try to redesign rather than add a new part (a band-aid), to make sure the possible failure points stay minimal.
    “The most complicated skill is to be simple.”
    ― Dejan Stojanovic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123