Bringing flashlights on a plane

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
I searched but I don't see this specific topic. I find it hard to believe I'd be the first one bringing it up, though.

What flashlights/batteries can we bring on a plane?

Think I'd have any trouble with my S1R Baton II ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scourie

Enlightened
If you have it on you then no problem, it'll be classed the same an any portable electronics. There are restrictions on spare batteries though.

Zak

Enlightened
You will not have problems with any flashlight under 7" long that doesn't have big spikes on it on similar. You can bring all the 18650s you want in a carry-on too as long as they're protected from shorting. It's against the rules to check spare Li-ions.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not have problems with any flashlight under 7" long that doesn't have big spikes on it on similar. You can bring all the 18650s you want in a carry-on too as long as they're protected from shorting. It's against the rules to check spare Li-ions.
I agree
spare LiIon must be in Carry on, not checked
flashlights larger than 7" cannot be in carry on, must be checked, they can have a battery inside.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers
Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/flashlights
Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions). Checked Bags: Yes Flashlights longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on bags; these items must be packed in your checked bags

On Delta you can also carry flashlights in your checked luggage, with their batteries inside them, not outside.
I agree, applies to all airlines

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing-batteries-your-trip
Batteries Allowed in Checked Bags:

Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage; however, we recommend that you pack them in your carry-on bag whenever possible. In the cabin, airline flight crews can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
A search reveals quite a few threads on this or similar topics, with the most comprehensive appearing to be here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412530-Re-Flashlight-airport-TSA

However, that thread is a few years old and this type of information may go "stale" relatively quickly, so this one can run for now.

That link doesn't open for me. What did you search on? I tried several different combinations of "flashlights on airplanes, tsa flashlight regulations, etc." and kept getting "no results found". So finally I just made my post.

Thanks for the response though.

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot everyone. I feel better now [emoji1360]

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you now feel prepared with good information

That link doesn't open for me. I tried...
"tsa flashlight regulations" and kept getting "no results found". So finally I just made my post.

the link did not work for me either

your search term worked fine on CPF, and on Google (both without the "")

I suggest you read this link
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ese-days&highlight=tsa+flashlight+regulations

That links works for me, does it work for you?

it has useful info specific to India, which is different than USA (I dont know where you fly to and from)

fwiw, I usually find searching google gives better results than just searching CPF, where you will get a lot of opinions without links to official info (even when the opinion is correct)

your google fu will get stronger with practice, lol

enjoy your travels and lights

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

that link does not work either, I dont know why
I though it might require being logged in, but no

If Im not logged in I get this:
zHQOwOE.png

If I am logged in, I get this:
AHkk1QW.png

does this link work for you Norseman3?:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ity-amp-traveling-w-flashlights-amp-batteries

it mentions that putting a flashlight in baggage can cause it to vanish

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
The very last works ...Thanks.

I read the TSA guidelines but just was looking for confirmation and to hear some of the member's experiences. Thanks everyone!

Berneck1

Enlightened
Never had any problems with any flashlight or battery type on a plane. However, I'm sure a light with an overly aggressive bezel or something like a larger Maglite could be considered a weapon to some TSA people.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Each carrier will provide you with the requirements for what you can and can't bring and where and how it must be stowed. Please refer to their websites.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
About 2 months ago I went to the Caymans on Cayman Air (from Tampa, FL) with a lot of dive gear including a dive light about 10" long and 3" in diameter, a BIG light. I had it with my mask, regulators and other items in my carry-on bag. TheTSA lady who scanned my bag asked me if it was a flashlight and that was it. No other issues. I went right on through.

AEHaas

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I never had any problems flying with lights, even when I forgot I had a Surefire LED Defender in my bag. I generally will bring an extra light instead of loose primaries, though.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with a few small lights AA and AAA in my carry on Back pack. I purposely carry lion in the light and alkaline for spares.
In the past I took Cr 123 and small charger without any problems. USA and Europe.