Maglite ML 300 4D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I received an email from Maglite touting their new "long run" ML300 that uses 4D cells.
1000+ lumens for 5+ hours or 18 days in their so-called "eco" mode, which in my 2 and 3 cell numbers is a nice, bright 20 or so lumens. 500+ meter throw? Wow!

Oh, the site was offering an opportunity to be the first on my block to own one. I'll pass for now but figured I'd tell the Maglite fans here at CPF to be on the look out for these.

C78-CB68-F-8624-40-BB-AC78-DB088-D91-E516.jpg

5473-E005-3-AA9-4-BB2-BA98-1-FC1170-B7-EBC.jpg

D965-B414-CC47-4-BE8-BBB6-C0-AD1-C2-AB781.jpg

So there you have it from Maglite. I wonder what dynamic power management means in the real world whan Maglite calls on/off two settings.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm going to need some runtime charts on this, it'll be interesting if they pull it off but part of me tells me this is more marketing jargon than technical specifications.

Scourie

Enlightened
Normal chemistry D batteries are terrible at providing sustainable high current. A nominal 15Ah battery will be significantly less at 2A current draw. If Maglite have managed to get a solid 5 hours at 1000 lumens I'll be in the queue for one! ;)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not sure if anything out there gets 5 solid hours at 1000 lumens. Is there?

LRJ88

Enlightened
Not sure if anything out there gets 5 solid hours at 1000 lumens. Is there?

With proper thermal management and a large enough power pack perhaps, but to keep it at that it'd likely have to be a li-ion pack and not just regular alkalines. That is, unless it starts off at 1000 lumens and steps down but the one making the ad didn't get to know/doesn't care.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So that's a no? Lol. Like I say I'm not aware of any production light capable of 1000 lumens for a solid 5 hours. My guess is yes this thing steps down. And heatsink or rather the lake of has always been a issue with Maglite. But maybe just maybe they have found something to let them do that kind of output for extended times. Can't wait for someone here to get one.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes me think they are just doing what every other manufacturer does these days, just calculating how much it outputs and for how long based purely on the stats. No real world testing at all. Is there an LED that can deliver 1000 lumens at less than one amp? Even then it would have to be a constant current driver and it would be sucking every last bit of juice from the batteries. Unfortunately??? I don't have the spare cash to go buying flashlights just to test run times. I don't have a Patreon account ...yet.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an email from Maglite touting their new "long run" ML300 that uses 4D cells.
1000+ lumens for 5+ hours or 18 days in their so-called "eco" mode, which in my 2 and 3 cell numbers is a nice, bright 20 or so lumens. 500+ meter throw? Wow!

Oh, the site was offering an opportunity to be the first on my block to own one. I'll pass for now but figured I'd tell the Maglite fans here at CPF to be on the look out for these.

What is the difference between this and the 4D ML300 that came out last year??

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?449724-New-4-D-Cell-Maglite-ML-300

BTW, with Mag advertising the long runtime, they should add another function set that starts in eco mode, followed by medium and high.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 more vote for me to have a mode that is maybe eco+medium+max with no memory.

If I want the longest possible runtime, I'd avoid lights that force the user to go through a quick burst of high(or some other higher mode) first, before getting eco mode. I hate wasting energy to get to the mode I want, and more actuations=more energy wasted.

For the non-flashaholic, this would be superb performance if M@g isn't playing the ANSI game here.
I am thinking paired with nice 4D lantern would make quite a team for outages. Keep 4 D LSD cells in the M@g and a dozen or two primary Ds stashed together with the lantern empty to avoid leak damage.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put an XHP70.2 in a large host with a large battery pack and I'm sure 1000 lumens for 5 hours is child's play. Hell, the tiny Zebralight SC700D can run at near 1000 lumens regulated for 2 hours off one 21700, and that's with an inefficient high cri emitter.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Just received the ML 300 4D. Paid around $65 on new.maglite.com with the 30 % off promo. It's similar in design to the 2 and 3 cell ML 300s. It appears the beam adjusts slightly more then a 1/4 turn which allows for a tighter or wider beam then the 300 models mentioned above. The heat sync design appears to be the same as the ML 150 re-chargable. I'd describe it as black solder on half of the led bulb and I'm sure some other internal stuff as well. This light is really bright. Definitely over 1000 plus lumens. I am guessing the eco mode is approx 20 lumen which more then enough for a black out situation. I highly recommend.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been interested in this one and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. If they were just made in another state that had less taxes and regulation I believe they would cost half as much as they do.

Last edited:

CALight

Newly Enlightened
I've been interested in this one and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. If they were just made in another state that had less taxes and regulation I believe they would cost half as much as they do.

It is a challenge to manufacture in CA for sure. Its more about owning the whole process that incurs all the costs and overhead. The heat sink development itself was a monumental effort.