Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

Default 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

Hi,
    I'd like your input on two lights. Please let me know if I'm expecting too much , and what compromise you think I should make.

Current budget: $150, could go up a bit
    Time of purchase: the Main EDC is prioritized, ideally during the 4th of July discount period
    Country of purchase: USA

Main EDC: easy access
    Length: ideally up to 6''
    Switch: forward tail with momentary and on/off function (I'm open to side button or twisty head/tail for mode change)
    Mode: Up to 3 (High-Medium-Low / High-Low / High), with memory
    Beam pattern: both spill and throw (NOT a pencil beam, I prefer a medium hot spot and a decent, meaningful spill. I'll leave this to your interpretation)
    Throw distance: >=200m / 820ft / 273 yd (It's easier to reduce the throw than to increase it. If I can spot something spooky from far away, I have more time to escape. If I need to see at a closer range, I can point the light downwards.)
    Brightness (if it adds to throw distance): >=30kcd (It's easier to reduce the brightness than to increase it)
    Battery: 1 or 2 x 18650 / 26650 / 20700 / 21700 (for large capacity)
    Battery life: >= 1hr on CONTINUOUS >=200m throw/30kcd mode (be it a Medium or High mode, as long as this is continuous ) (I don't mind if the light can drop out black when out of battery, as long as I have the most time on this sustained mode)

Backup/Hobby: in backpack, at home, no fast access needed
    Length: up to a foot long
    Switch: forward tail with momentary and on/off function (I'm open to side button or twisty head for mode change)
    Mode: Up to 3 (High-Medium-Low / High-Low / High), with memory
    Beam pattern: both spill and throw (NOT a pencil beam, I need to have a medium/large hot spot and a decent, meaningful spill. I'm not sure how large these should be, so I'll leave it to your interpretation)
    Throw distance: >= 500m / 1640 ft / 546 yd (It's easier to reduce the throw than to increase it)
    Brightness (if it adds to throw distance): >=70kcd (It's easier to reduce the brightness than to increase it)
    Battery: 2 or 3 x 18650 / 26650 / 20700 / 21700 (for large capacity)
    Battery life: >= 1hr on CONTINUOUS >=500m throw/ 70kcd (be it Medium or High mode, as long as this is continuous) (I don't mind if the light can drop out black when out of battery, as long as I have the most time on this sustained mode)
    I have used parametrek to narrow my search. However, many of these lights won't hold a continuous output, but rather, they drop significantly after minutes or even seconds and remain at this much lower output, until they drop again due to battery capacity.

Again, please let me know if I should compromise.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Default Re: 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

Oooh it's a bit quiet here, so I'll start...
    Now I don't know much and i do swim against the tide, but the light I always carry (you'd call it my EDC) would never be a throwy light. For something I need all day and night long I use a Triple Nichia which gives me a very useable low stress light. A thrower is going to make me hunt the beam around whereas something more floody just lights stuff up.
    When I go on a dog walk with a thrower, there's always this ball of light bouncing around ahead of me, which is really not relaxing. I take a Triple and I'm walking into a lighted area with no need to point the thing.
    Just a thought...

P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I appreciate the input. Do you mind telling me what light you use as the EDC?

I'm not sure why there are some views, but you're the first one to reply lol.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Default 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Nichia-Triple

Before that, an Oveready Nichia Triple.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 07-01-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Oh, that looks fancy lol.

Check the Malkoff website. They have a number that meet your requirements. Sign up for their Email and you will get 20% off your first purchase. Simple, solid, and lifetime warranty.

A couple of points for clarification. Do you mean that your budget is $150 for both lights or $150 for each light? Also, are you using ANSI standards for your throw distance requirements?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

@340pd: I have a Malkoff list. I just want to know if there are other options.

@Modernflame: If I can get both for $150, that's great. Otherwise, $150 for the main EDC for now. I can go up a bit. The backup will have to wait. Regarding standards of measurement, ideally the numbers should come from end users, with graphs, and beamshots.

Quote Originally Posted by QMT93 View Post
    .... Throw distance: >=200m / 820ft / 273 yd....
    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Oooh it's a bit quiet here, so I'll start...
    Now I don't know much and i do swim against the tide, but the light I always carry (you'd call it my EDC) would never be a throwy light.....
    Two hundred meters of throw, for EDC ?!

Really ?

Everyone's needs are different, but wow

I have "throwers" that don't do 200m, lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

So I'm asking for too much? How far should I be looking for? :P

So I'm asking for too much? How far should I be looking for? :P
    You probably don't want to ask me ... fifty lumens and fifty feet ?

LMAO, I forgot you and your graph. In my defense, I simply think that it's easier to reduce the throw than to increase it. Does that seem justified?

LMAO, I forgot you and your graph. In my defense, I simply think that it's easier to reduce the throw than to increase it. Does that seem justified?
    Joking aside, you give up a lot to get, what?, tens-of-thousands of lux .... runtime, beamshape, host size, etc, etc, etc

Could you do with "only" 12K lux? M61T.

What type of environment are you in ? Urban, suburban, rural ? Mountains, desert, woods ... what ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-01-2019 at 08:42 PM.

I just want to be aware of my surroundings .

Why do you recommend M61T and not M61HOT, besides that I can use it with an MD4 body?

I just want to be aware of my surroundings ....
    I'm glad to provide my opinion, but I'd like to hear more about your "EDC environment" first ....

A not so well lit parking lot, followed by a dim lit bus stop on a sketchy route. I go home when "social workers" start their job on the sides of the streets.

A not so well lit parking lot, followed by a dim lit bus stop on a sketchy route. I go home when "social workers" start their job on the sides of the streets.
    So ... urban area ?

Wide open and empty, or lots of buildings around ?

Distance from door to vehicle ?

Maximum (typical) distance between you and what you want to illuminate ?

I leave the store, cross a parking lot to reach one side of the street. Then I will have to wait for about 2 minutes to cross the street to get to the bus stop. Then probably 15 to 20 minutes waiting for the bus. The total amount of time from when I leave the store to getting on the bus would be about 30 minutes or more. This is when I need the light. Sorry, I wasn't sure what to put in the previous post, and right now, I think it's about one block from the store to the bus stop.

There are buildings, but only shops, and stores, which are all closed by the time I leave the store to go home.

I only take the bus.

I leave the store, cross a parking lot to reach one side of the street. Then I will have to wait for about 2 minutes to cross the street to get to the bus stop. Then probably 15 to 20 minutes waiting for the bus. The total amount of time from when I leave the store to getting on the bus would be about 30 minutes or more. This is when I need the light. Sorry, I wasn't sure what to put in the previous post, and right now, I think it's about one block from the store to the bus stop.

There are buildings, but only shops, and stores, which are all closed by the time I leave the store to go home.

I only take the bus....
    So, one "standard" city block is ... not too standard

Maybe 250-300 feet, on average ??

If that is the case, personally, I would most certainly not want a 700'-800' + very bright and tight "thrower"

In a rather dark surrounding environment, this will tend to give you "tunnel vision"

Sorry, I should have thought about it that way .

Yes, I'd say 300 ft.

I've been considering the E2HT, though knowing it's a three, because the photos show a visible spill, which should be brighter in person, and therefore, useful. In other words, I try to figure out if this thrower, with its amount of spill, can be an EDC, so that I don't have to buy 1 flood light and 1 throw light.

The M61HOT is definitely more suitable for me, in my opinion. I'm still not sure what advantage the M61T has over it, besides the capability to Lego with MD4 for longer runtime (and higher output?)

Sorry, I should have thought about it that way .

Yes, I'd say 300 ft.

I've been considering the E2HT, though knowing it's a three, because the photos show a visible spill, which should be brighter in person, and therefore, useful. In other words, I try to figure out if this thrower, with its amount of spill, can be an EDC, so that I don't have to buy 1 flood light and 1 throw light.

The M61HOT is definitely more suitable for me, in my opinion. I'm still not sure what advantage the M61T has over it, besides the capability to Lego with MD4 for longer runtime (and higher output?) ....
    M61T ... 12K lux

M61HOT ... 20K lux

E2HT ... 35K lux

Sorry, I'll let others take over the suggestions from here, as I think you are going in the wrong direction
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-01-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Considering your environment, I think you should have another look at Jose"s beamshots with unbiased eyes.
    I reckon a bean shape like the M91B would be a lot more suitable for your needs.
    A small ball of light bouncing around at a distance will not make you aware of everything that's going on, especially what's going on under your nose.
    P

Flashaholic

I wonder if a way to approach this is to have a look at what cops on this forum carry, in a similar environment. They need a light that gives situational awareness, is bright enough to overcome the effects of light pollution, can be used to search various types of locations and lets the bad guys know they’re visible. Those prepared to spend the dollars, often enough seem to lean towards Malkoff, Elzetta and Surefire. I know a few others who go with Fenix and Olight. My point is, these people rely on their lights to help provide safety in an environment identical to yours, and none I know carries a small light dedicated to throw. My current choice is Elzetta on the belt and a Malkoff close by. This is only my opinion, but I recommend lighting up a little larger area and not thinking too much about reaching out for impressive distance. Best of luck with your search, I spent years working out what I wanted

@peter yetman and @matt4350: thank you guys, it makes sense. Would the M61HOT make a good substitute for the M91B, since it's more compact running an 18650, while the M91B needs 2*18500 in an MD3?

Have you looked at a MD2 with the high low switch installed?
    If you feel you need three modes, Malkoff's MDC TurnKey XP-L 16650 500 Lumen Flashlight offers a lot of what you are looking for.
    I just perfer their products because of their simplicity and toughness.

So do I. I only need one mode. I try to find lights that use 18650 so that it’s easier to find spares, chargers, and that I don’t have to remember which battery to use.

I’m considering mostly the MD2 body lights. M61T, M61HOT, M61 Hi/Lo, etc. Only a few more days until the end of the sales, so I guess I’ll have to speed this up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given your environment, I think most flashlight guys would agree that you don't want a dedicated thrower as your one EDC light. I doubt the E2HT will do the job adequately. It would be like buying a motorcycle when you really just need a car for commuting to work in the rain.

I'd say the M61HOT is closer to the goal, but still at the top end of desirable kcd. It's quite a nice light. Can't imagine you being disappointed with it.

Regarding standards of measurement, ideally the numbers should come from end users, with graphs, and beamshots.
    I asked this question because ANSI throw measurements are based on a formula, not on real world observation. Generally, you can take the ANSI distance measurement and divide it in half or even into thirds, depending on competition from ambient light. That's how far you can actually expect to see. Pesky inverse square law.

@Modernflame: I forgot the inverse square law. The M61HOT seems brighter than other lights, based on the beamshots. I'm still figuring this out, so thank you for the input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast