HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

Default Re: 1 main EDC (soon) + 1 backup (later)

Looking at jose's beam shots I think I'd choose the new M61. The earlier M61 threw well enough and the new higher power one just does it better.
    If having the Hi/Lo ring doesn't break the bank, put that on as well. You won't know it's there unless you want to lower the output. For high use the the head is tight, just the same as with the regular retaining ring.
    Good luck with the Sales.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Thanks! I'm looking at the M61, and it is indeed a flood light.

FloodIER. It's a very good compromise between the throwers you've been looking at and a Wildcat or M91B. In real life it still has a good and obvious hotspot, but also bright spill almost down to your feet.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I see. I'm also looking at the Elzetta Bones, which at 30ft still have visible spills. They both look awesome.

I think of the standard (XP-G) M61 as the "classic" balanced (throw + spill) beam type.
    ... is the archimedes peak

If we were talking dogs, it would be the "Breed Standard".
    P

Flashaholic

Bones has similar output to my Bravo, it’s mighty fine for indoor and outdoor use when you want to light up the area (and enough reach for what you’ve described, I believe). That said, if you wanted 18650 with high/low the Malkoff is the obvious choice. I wouldn’t be without a low mode on something I was going to edc, but you may not have a use for it. Decisions, decisions, huh?

I couldn't put it better.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Why not give the Olight M2T a look. I mostly carry it as my EDC because it has the instant max with the tail cap and I can have less than max with the side switch. Like when something falls out of my pocket while at the movie theater, moonlight mode is waaay more useful. The side switch is always click on (into last used mode)/click off. Click and hold goes to moonlight mode. Holding longer locks it out (tail switch too). Pressing the tail switch down all the way locks it on and if you hold there...you get strobe. While in strobe if you release, it shuts off. It can use any 18650 but a higher drain cell will last longer. It has a wide beam which is what I prefer. It illuminates everything from one side of a street to the other at about 30 yards, give or take.

The Olight M2T is as compact as a Surefire 6P. The M2R is their rechargeable version, has a metal tail switch that the magnetic charging device attaches to and plugs into a USB port/wall wort.
    Last edited by lightfooted; 07-05-2019 at 12:08 AM.

The M2R seems promising. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12