Convoy S2+ Memory Mode Stuck

Albert77

Newly Enlightened
I just received my first pair of Convoy S2+ lights. I was experimenting with the configuration options on one of them and now it is stuck in memory mode.

I had read about the pre-release biscotti software that was released on the first batch, so I checked the bike flasher on both to see whether they were running fast. Neither of them were. Both complete the bike flasher cycle in right around one second. Despite that, one is now stuck in memory mode and I haven't been able to get it out.

It actually didn't stick the first time I set it. I had gotten into that mode by accident by mis-reading part of the configuration instructions. (My fault, they were written clearly enough.) I was able to turn off memory mode the first time. Then I made the mistake of turning it back on to try something out. I haven't been able to turn it back off since.

Simon was helpful about it. He is sending me a new pill+LED+driver drop-in for the light.

I'm just puzzled about how it got stuck when the speed check seemed to be good. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, just to make sure I haven't misunderstood the symptom, the bike flasher is giving one blink and two very-fast flashes per second. Is that the normal speed? If each of those elements is supposed to take a second by itself than mine is running fast. Let me know if I got that wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved in lightly edited form ....

For clarity, the font size and color were reset back to their default values (which are more readable on most browsers), and line spacing was also added.

Please do not create duplicate threads, as your initial few posts will need to be approved by moderators, so your patience is appreciated.

Finally, your thread was moved to the LED Flashlights subforum :)

Cheers !

creamo

Newly Enlightened
Stuck mode memory is a known issue with Convoy biscotti firmware. Many reports of same problem.
There is/was a bug in the early production firmware. Not enough bits of SRAM were sampled. It is somewhat random depending and does manifest itself on every unit.
The bug was discovered in I think late '16 or early '17. However it is still affecting shipped flashlights in 2019. I don't know if Simon never bothered to fix it or if he just has a huge stock of original drivers.

It is not directly related to the too-fast issue. My C8 has the correct speed but broken mode memory toggle. I have some drivers with too-fast speed but working mode memory toggle. It is somewhat random.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm new to the Convoy S2+ and Biscotti. How can I tell if I'm potentially impacted by this bug?

I have a couple different types and drivers, including the 4-mode only non-configurable one.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Poppy

Flashaholic
I recall that when I first got my convoy with bsicottii software, I jerked around with it for quite a while before I figured it out.

Whatever the issue was, I pulled the battery for 30 seconds or so, maybe longer, and it went back into it's default mode. I was then able to configure it.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been bitten by this issue yet. :) But sounds like a good reason to leave memory mode disabled on S2+ with Biscotti unless you somehow know it's not affected.

Which is how I prefer it anyway. Lowest-mode-first and no memory, to avoid being blinded when grabbing the light with night-adjusted eyes. :eek: Also avoids unnecessary battery drain that you get when it powers up in a high mode first. Beyond that it's just a matter of spacing modes (and # of them) as appropriate for intended use.

Whatever the issue was, I pulled the battery for 30 seconds or so, maybe longer, and it went back into it's default mode. I was then able to configure it.
Just a guess: could it perhaps be this only affects S2+'s that still drain their battery while off? (metal / backlit switch). :thinking: The S2+ I currently have is desert tan model with non-backlit, black plastic switch. Also I've learned to NOT do firmware configuration with near-empty battery in the light (that applies to other lights as well, btw).

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Same here. I prefer memory off for a variety of reasons. I got several of these lights prior to actually understanding them. I know allot more about them now, but I'm still learning.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk