ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Basic 60

Default EDC Basic 60

Is there a way to get the simple momentary mode on the Basic? I tried the 250 click trick, but that seems to onky get to the brightness levels. Thanks!

Default Re: EDC Basic 60

Ledmuseum.net has the UI flow chart for tthe Ultimate 60. If you do the 250 click to make it an "ultimate", you can access the options menu. 7th item in that menu should enable momentary. (Long flash, short flash.)

Option menu is 10 clicks from off (until light stays on). Menu items selected by holding button down until light turns off.
    Last edited by scout24; 07-02-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Thanks Scout, I'd never seen that site before - very illuminating.
    (Old joke, but what the heck).
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Thanks Scout. That is what I thought, but couldn't get it to work. I'll keep trying.

Hope it helps! Keep us posted, I'm hoping it works...

Got it! 250 clicks and hold gets into the brightness menu. 250 clicks and no hold gets you into the options menu. Now my thumb is tired..... but I have momentary now.

Result!
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Since this topic now has it's own thread, I'll ask a tangential question. What was the logic behind choosing 250 as the number of clicks for entering the programming menu? It would be both arbitrary and excessive unless there were a special significance.

Always wondered. Thanks.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Iím thinking it was so no one could get to it by accident. Donít forgot the Ultimate Models were top of the line and back then rather expensive. The basic model was much cheaper. If it was set for like ten clicks the secret would of been out from the beginning and HDs would not of sold any Ultimate lights.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Got it! 250 clicks and hold gets into the brightness menu. 250 clicks and no hold gets you into the options menu. Now my thumb is tired..... but I have momentary now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    A most apropos "smiley" ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

I always thought it was more 256 clicks than 250, maybe to overload some kind of electronic buffer (does this even makes sense ?).
    Or simply as stated so it couldn't be selected by accident.

One of my car has something like that, after 128 startup without default present, check engine light will switch off (if a problem was previously detected). Very rudimentary electronic in this car.

Whatever the purpose I'm glad its there. I really prefer momentary. My best guess to why its there is for ease of production. Probably easier to have the same driver etc and shut off the features than to have two separate setups. My question is, how was it discovered. No way someone clicked 250 times by accident.

There's a thread somewhere that takes you through the wondering and trying process.
    I'll see if I can find it.....

This seems to be the first mention..
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...atac-120T-help!

And here..
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post2703523
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 07-05-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    A most apropos "smiley" ....
    You saw what I did there...

Henry made it 250 clicks so it wouldn't be found... at least by accident, and as Thermal Guy said, knowing it was out there would have stopped a lot of sales of the Ultimate. It wasn't discovered until the NT hit the scene and Henry was making twisties under "Ra Lights".
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Ledmuseum.net has the UI flow chart for tthe Ultimate 60. If you do the 250 click to make it an "ultimate", you can access the options menu. 7th item in that menu should enable momentary. (Long flash, short flash.)

Option menu is 10 clicks from off (until light stays on). Menu items selected by holding button down until light turns off.
    Just to clarify, you can not "make a Basic into an Ultimate". You will never have the 10-click access to the Options menu, it will ALWAYS take 250 clicks to change anything on a Basic.

Now, the Novatac lights you could "crack" with 250 clicks and turn on programming, and then unless you do a factory reset, you will have the "120P" programmable interface.

Good to know, thanks. I will have to do this to a novatac soon....

New question. I have an old AA tube that I actually think is a novatac. Why would it not work with a Novatac or an edc basic. The 16650 tube I have works fine. Thanks!

It will work, just do a battery detect reset.
    Runtime on high is generally lowish before stepping down, but then runtime is good.

Ok, I tried. That just erased my settings. Tube still doesn't work. 500ish more clicks and I have my settings back.

You did a full reset, not just a battery detect reset

If the tube is making contact, and the spring inside is at the right lengh and making contact, then it will work. The light will think it's a CR123A battery, so if you used rechargeables before, it might only turn on to the lowest level until you do a battery detect reset.

The spring in them old AA tubes is very temperamental.it has to be in there just right. I have to stretch mine a little almost every time I use it.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Lith: Can you explain the battery detect? I'd prefer not to do 500 clicks again.....

Thermal: I'll try to stretch the spring again. Any thoughts on the brass bar conversion?

Lith: Can you explain the battery detect? I'd prefer not to do 500 clicks again.....

Thermal: I'll try to stretch the spring again. Any thoughts on the brass bar conversion?
    Taken from the EDC BasicTM Flashlight Userís Guide https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/...UsersGuide.pdf

Resetting Your Light
    The only time the design of your light requires you to reset your light is: 1) when changing battery packs or 2) when changing battery chemistries. However, if your light ever gets into a non-responsive state, a reset can be used to regain control.
    There are two kinds of resets. A soft reset retains all of your settings. A hard reset returns your light to the factory settings.
    To perform a soft reset, remove the batteries, wait for 1 minute and reinstall the batteries. A successful soft reset is indicated by your light turning on dimly for 1 second and then turning Off.

To perform a hard reset, start by performing a soft reset. Before your light turns off, press and hold the button down for 10 seconds. Your light will come on steady while you hold the button and then turn off when it is time for you to release the button.
    If you do not hold the button down until the the light turns off or if there is insufficient power to save the settings, your light will not restore the factory settings and displays the error flash sequence consisting of rapid flashing.
    Note: since you cannot change the factory settings, a hard reset is the same as a soft reset.

I play with dead things

Thanks Hogo, but still nothing. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks Hogo, but still nothing. Any thoughts anyone?
    At this point, I would probably cuss it out real good, then maybe take it to the desert and shoot it. That's just me though. You may want to go anther route.

Does the light do a self check (turn on then off) when you attach the tube? If it does, but then the switch is dead, it is the contact spring not making a connection. Brass bar may be the next solution. It's less destructive than a .357 out of a 16 inch barrel, and might work...
    I play with dead things

Itís got to be the spring. Light does absolutely nothing and the switch works with the 16650 tube.

Shooting it it sounds like fun. Iíll try the brass bar first....

I'm late to the party, but when you let the light without battery for a few seconds, than screw your AA battery tube, does the light turn on briefly? If not, you have a contact problem within the tube.
    If yes, then you have a spring contact problem, brass bar might solve that

Brass bar is my only hope. It has to be a contact issue. Next time Iím at the hardware store Iíll see what I can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast