How to keep a Computer "Fresh" ???

jtice

Flashaholic
How to keep a Computer \"Fresh\" ???

We have all experienced it...
You get a new computer, get it out of the box, hook it up, and WOW shes fast, runs great, and never hangs.
A couple months later, she takes way too long to do the simplist of tasks, hangs alot, and is just darn right slow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Alot of things contribute to this.
Fragmented hard drives, cluttered files, currupted files and registry entries, entries that no longer need to be there, etc.

Registry Entries
Every time you uninstall a program, it is SUPPOSED to get rid of everything associated with that program.
One of the main things it always leaves behind is registry entries.
Typically, every program, DLL file, and other type files, always have an entry in the registry for them.
That adds up to ALOT of entries. Every time your computer has to lookup one of those entries,
it now has to search threw thousands of them, verses the mere hundreds it had to search threw when it was "fresh".

Fragmented Hard Drive
This is alittle more simple, and slightly easier to fix, using the supplied Windows Defragmentor.
I think most of us know what defragmanting is, and what is does, so I wont go into much detail on this.
But, I do think there is more to it than just having a program or file devided and spread out over multiple locations.
I am not sure to what it is, but there just seems to be more cluttering it up.

Memory (RAM)
Memory is one of the computers most used features. Sadly, it is one of the easiest and quickest to get filled, and disorganized.
Many applications will not run properly without the proper amount of Memory. But even computers with alot of memory
tend to get hung up sometimes. Memory can become very slow and hang alot, if it is not managed correctly.

Above are just a few of the main things that contribute to a computer slowing down and loosing performance over time.

What I would like to know is, how does one prevent these type of things from happening?

Last week, I had to reformat my computer, and reinstall everything, including Windows XP Pro.
The computer wasnt running very well, and performing simple tasks, like openning the start menu very slowly.
Also, my video playback was very currupted and some files and players wouldnt open at all.

After reformatting, and reinstalling Windows, and my other essencial programs, my computer litterally runs an average of 10 times faster !!!
Shutdown used to take at least 3 minutes, now it takes less than 20 15 seconds.
Programs open faster, menus pop up immediately.
Clearly, this is due to it being "fresh".

So, how do I KEEP it fresh?
What programs should I use to clear out unused and unneeded Registry Entries.
Are there any tricks to getting a computer to manage and use its Memory more effeciantly?

Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-John

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: How to keep a Computer \"Fresh\" ???

i use ghost in 15 minutes i can have pc reformated it makes a excat copy of hardrive includeing cookies passwords pics mp3.s what ever i make the ghot copy after it has be defragmented and everything is perfect .then if there is a few windows updatres and drivers i install ill make a new copy i make it on a dvd. so even if my hardrve fails i can get new hardrive boot of dvd and im back to my perfect working system

jtice

Flashaholic

raggie,

I have heard of things like that, I will have to look into that.
Now THATS a backup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will be getting a DVD burner to add to my new system (if I ever get it built) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

I'll second Raggie's suggestion, I have a TBU, but I will periodically Ghost an image of my entire PC (usually after new software or the latest series of updates have been installed).

turbodog

Flashaholic

These are roughly in order from most important to least with the exception of #7. It goes with #1.

1. Don't go loading a bunch of software that runs in the system tray.

2. Keep temp files and temp internet files wiped out.

3. Hard drives slow down as they fill up. This has nothing to do with fragmentation either. It is a physical fact. The first data written is written on the outer edge of the platters where transfer rates are the greatest. As it fills, it writes toward the inside and slows down.

4. There is a file called index.dat that is used for internet explorer (and possibly others) web browsing. Find some utility or method to delete this puppy. Typically, you don't want this file over 2-3 megs in size. I have seen as much as 18 megs.

5. Set windows xp for best performance.

6. Turn off screensavers and cute desktop backgrounds.

7. Turn off everything you can remotely do without in the system tray. This includes print monitors/etc.

8. Use a laser printer. It loads less files to your computer during the driver install.

9. Keep it in a ziploc bag when not using it.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Also, do not load:

realplayer
quicktime
aol
msn messenger
aol messenger

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello John,

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

I have read over and over again that the best way to restore your computer to its original performance, is to reformat and reinstall everything.

I believe most of the problem is with the registry. Some people can do the same thing by editing the registry, but there is a lot of risk involved.

The other option is to limit what you install, but that takes the fun out of it.

Tom

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

About every 1-2 years I recommend a format and fresh install (operating system only). Then, immediately after the fresh install ..... get all the updates (again, operating system only).

After a clean operating system install and update, start getting your programs installed and updated as well.

I'm not a very big proponent on getting too many third party utility programs for cleaning the registry and "fixing" things. I feel that all too often these programs create problems along with giving people a false sense of security.

Using the tools that come with the operating system for basic maintenance and not installing every piece of software known to man will do more to keep your system running smoothly than anything else.

Mike

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened

Not to hijack the thread but when I open my windows task manager I have 46 processes running. I'm certain I don't need these all running but how do I tell what I need?

jtice

Flashaholic

I typically have 36 to 42 running.

I think, from bootup, before you open anything, there should be about 35.

Quasar

Newly Enlightened

I would avoid getting Norton Ghost 2003 according to this review.

Imaging is really nice tho. I'm on win98 and use Drive Image 2002. Saves a whole lot of time and hassle.

was_jlh

Enlightened

Bgenlvtex, depends on what OS you're running and what you're doing. There is a lot you can probably kill. When in XP, I normally have 17. There is a site - Black Viper Windows Configurations - or something similar, that lays it out neatly. I can't get the site right now or I'd give you the url. Search for it later.

jtice

Flashaholic

17!!???!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I will double check when I get home, but I am pretty possitive mines over 30 at startup.

Negeltu

Enlightened

It depends on what type of config you have for xp. You may need those extra services depending on your use of the system.

Samoan

Enlightened

Back on track.

A couple very important things.

#1 Use partitions. Keep your files on a different partition, preferably different physical drives, than your programs, and in turn keep your programs on a different partition, preferably different physical drives, than your operating system. If your OS currupts to a point where you can't get up and running your data will still be there in addition to any .exe's that don't require a Regsitry entry. All you need to do is fdisk the OS partition, install your OS do a windows update, and reinstall any s/w that accesses the registry. In the world of MS s/w your data files can usually be mapped to the new install and you won't lose any work.

#2 Learn to back-up and use regedit. There are times when you can get yourself up and running by manually adjusting your regsitry. The back-up becomes crucial when you trash your registry (when, not if). I don't go for ghosting my systems as all you get is a copy of a set that isn't necessarily stable.

#3 Start over with a clean install as often as is doable. My rule of thumb is that I do a clean install whenever I am about to install a service pack. For a while I was doing a clean install every six months. That may be overkill for a system you keep in good health.

#4 A little controversy. If you have friends, relatives, SO's or kids that have a penchant for just doing what web pages tell them to, don't let them on your primary machine.

Finally, if you are a Wintel user stick to XP (home or Pro) or 2K Pro. Everything else, ESPECIALLY Millenium is limiting your system.

-Fernando

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can't win. Windows is designed to be easier for beginners to use. There are two problems with this approach:

1. ) Computers are complex. Computers are powerful. They are capable of doing really cool things. Windows uses a dumbed-down interface to make it all SEEM simple. It is not. Look at this picture of part of the control panel of a Concorde SST. It is painfully complex.

Instruments_small.jpg

A Concorde's control interface CANNOT be simplified to a point where it is no more complex than that of a '48 DeSoto. This is what Windows is trying to do. It can't work that way -- computers and Concordes are too complex to have someone else pre-decide what options will be needed for every situation.

2, ) Most computer users are only beginners for a couple years. After that point Windows is in the way.

I'm not trying to flame or put anyone down. On the contrary, my point is that ya'll are too advanced for Windows and it is now dragging you down with all the decisions it is making for you, behind your back, still treating you like rank beginners. (Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!)

Re-read these posts again, starting from the very first one. All these solutions and maintainance tasks are FAR from simple. They are brilliant. But look at why you're all doing it. You are not doing it to accomplish any special task for your business or hobby -- you've studied and experimented and learned many complex, highly advanced procedures just to counter the decisions made by software engineers so that it would be easier for beginners to operate. Those decisions no longer apply to any of you and they are in your way.

Advanced users should be able to spend their time/energy figuring out ways to do more cool things with their computers in ways that make their tasks easier and more fun.

I'm not pitching Linux, though I do use a UNIX OS. UNIX, in general, is designed to make it easier for advanced users to be productive, and like I mentioned before, users are only beginners for a couple of years.

I got into it because I wasn't having any fun with my computer anymore.

Short answer: FreeBSD keeps my computer fresh.

I meant what I said about this not being a flame. I read the thread and I was struck not only with the depth of understanding that you have about your OS, but also that as you become more advanced with Windows you use that 'depth of understanding' to figure out ways to counter the decisions that the engineers made to make the OS seem simple to beginners.

If I've offended anyone, I apologize up front. That was truly not my intent. I actually think that this is one of the nicest groups of folks I've met online.

Please accept this offbeat post in the vein that it was offered.

turbodog

Flashaholic

17 is possible I would think. I have 30 with IE open twice, mp3 player open, palm hotsynch, norton, raid monitor.

Run msconfig and look at your startup stuff.

darkgear.com

Enlightened

Use Deep Freeze

Probably not good for people that often install/uninstall stuff. But if you are a casual user of a PC. Load it up the way you want then Deep Freeze it. Nothing better IMHO.

Deep freeze is a MUST for school labs, public, and kiosk PC's.

edit: Wow just read that they make it for Mac OSX too!

If it is not clear what this program does...it is an automatic ghost. Turn on the PC and change anything you want. Even delete all the files or registry and when you reboot you get the same windows you had earlier. It is Groundhog Day for PCs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened

Just got home and checked - 17.