Metallurgy: Any Metallurgists Here?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m looking to speak to someone regarding 17-4 ph stainless as well as Elmax, knife blade applications and also 401 stainless steel if possible but the 17-4 is on the front burner

Mirror polishing experience would be appreciated but not necessary

light-modder

Enlightened
My instructor made some knives from 17-4. Fixed blade, Scandi ground survival style knives. He said the edge stayed sharp. That was my biggest concern. He hasn't made very many but I guess they work well.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m looking at removing stonewashed finish, sanding it down a hair to shine up the surface, then getting it DLC coated or trying to do a mirror finish... and cryogenic treatment is a thought also but would be the last step if done at all

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at jayfisher .com or ask on bladeforums for cryogenic help. Super helpful community there.

As far as removing the stonewash that's the easy answer. Start with a 220 or less grit paper and work your way up to 2000.

Check the valleys and scratch pattern with around a 600 grit to see how rough you will actually need.

Why do you want to remove the stone wash if I may ask? It's a fantastic finish on any knife.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bugburly and sorry for the very late reply... missed this one.
The stone wash is on a OTF comb blade and my intention is to slick it up and have it DLC'd. The stonewash isn't deep and it would better in all Tactical black. Plus there is still a bit of friction inside and I m trying to eliminate as much as I can and use less oil. The steel is 17-4 PH which typically doesn't respond well to cryo treatment but in this case should be ok.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't need to be and I may decide against it but the DLC coating should reduce some friction and the cryo treatment I m thinking may help also. Both would certainly help against any corrosion and aging over time... over engineering yes but helpful? Don't know