Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This year, the Rotary and Executive are 10 years old. Lot's of internal changes have been made to them, but they have been around for 10 years.

I have been badgering Henry for a while now about a beryllium copper run... and including the Executive in this run. Been talking with our machinist about it as well.

I have set aside some of the NB35, 40, 45, and NC57 emitters for this run.

I am still working out details, but the cost would be somewhere between the bronze and titanium (the actual cost is pretty close to what the titanium run cost HDS to produce, but I am trying to get the price down by brow beating the machinist).

Why beryllium copper? Well, Arizona is the copper state and beryllium copper is as tough as it gets for a copper alloy.

Thinking of having something special engraved on the bezel... not sure what yet.

The battery tube may or may not be knurled. I actually would love a hammered look to the entire light, but I don't think that will be possible. Could do the entire light without knurling as well.

So, who would be interested in such a beast?
Most likely it would go like the other special metal runs.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

I had in mind other custom but this is so rare that i'll have to say IN.
Standard knurling please and NB35 to match the Cu rotary look[emoji41]

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

Well I'd be in but if it's between the brass and titanium range I d either have to sell my titanium or so without copper.
Unfortunate as it sounds it is what it is.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I'd be in but if it's between the brass and titanium range I d either have to sell my titanium or so without copper.
Unfortunate as it sounds it is what it is.
Steve, hold on then. You have Ti and I would get Cu then we can swap every few months between each other.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd also be interested. :D

By the way I have a recommendation. Do no knurling. At all knurling is almost impossible with copper alloys. Maybe some rings like the BeCu LF2XT has are a good way. I could Imagine a few rings on the head near to the lens and on the tailcap could look very cool and straight Forward.

Here a very good example. On this picture you see a run#2 Steve Ku LF2XT and a BeCu (Beryllium copper / Beryllium Bronze) LF2XT. When the BeCu was possible to order Steve told us that knurling is not possible.

8GXq9kM.jpg

I hope it was ok making a recommendation?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd also be interested. :D

I hope it was ok making a recommendation?

Absolutely.
Yes, knurling on this would be problematic, but we are trying to sort through that by using cut knurling (which can not be done on the battery tube but could be cut on the head and switch cap.)

I would really love for a hammered look... then it would like me!

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

Or ACME grip like seen on Sigma flashlights.
2c6a9ec1ebafa54cf8b3ebe19618993a.jpg

But i would prefer standard knurling on HDS.
Without it it wouldn't be HDS...

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hogo on the knurling how bout something similar to those titanium tubes I had done for my First Lights?
They took the tube body down to my spec from the outside then cut the knurling "before" they bored out the inside. This was done with a solid grade 5 titanium rod at 30mm diameter if I remember.
I personally couldn't imagine an HDS without knurling.

Any news on specs and reflector, lens as compared to the current lights?

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened

How robust is beryllium copper?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

How robust is beryllium copper?

Tough enough they make hammers, wrenches, chisels, and other tools out of it for environments where a spark could be dangerous. It has the highest strength of any copper alloy.

Here is a good read on it.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened

Wow, beryllium copper is something I never would have considered for a flashlight - that would be unique/exotic. No issues finding someone to machine it? I had always thought the dust couple be hazardous in the machining process.

Exciting to consider the available LEDs back up for another special run! Happy birthday HDS!

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened

Tough enough they make hammers, wrenches, chisels, and other tools out of it for environments where a spark could be dangerous. It has the highest strength of any copper alloy.

Here is a good read on it.

Cool, I'll have to think hard about that, as I already own a Ti rotary.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope we've got enough notice to save up our pennies, but you know I want one! Definitely in for hammered too, at least part of it. Hammered copper is beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nichia!

Banned

In depending on the price

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Copper is quite interesting and while I have read that beryllium itself is toxic during manufacturing there are no dangers from the finished product. I also know that copper itself is anti bacterial and some countries drink from (pure) copper vessels. They claim it to be very beneficial health wise. I d like to one day have something made of copper and copper sounds good for this. All this is starting to get me thinking about zirconium!

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened

Does someone have a hammered image handy on another light?

How heavy might something like this run?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also know that copper itself is anti bacterial and some countries drink from (pure) copper vessels. They claim it to be very beneficial health wise.

Silver is better in terms of killing germs, and it also kills you)) Pure copper is not dangerous, but if you forget to clean it and a muddy scurf or something like green / blue track appears, it is a poison, poisoning with copper compounds very unpleasant. For health, this is not useful, like as well as food from aluminum dishes, aluminum enters the food and shatters the nervous system. Use stainless steel earthenware and enamelware and wood crockery and you will be healthy :)

Beryllium copper looks beautiful..

TexasLumens made from this alloy, now I imagine what HDS looks like
500465567.jpg