Malkoff        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

Flashaholic

Default Re: Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

I settled on NB45.

Interesting @ johnnyh! Can you please elaborate a bit around the dramatic difference between nichia and samsung 5000k? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JKolmo View Post
    Interesting @ johnnyh! Can you please elaborate a bit around the dramatic difference between nichia and samsung 5000k? Thanks!
    In short, R9 is different, output, hotspot size and position in BBL line

Sent from Tapatalk

Sure, to my perception, the colors from the Nichia 219B are richer, especially browns, reds, yellow, orange...from the higher R9 value. The Sammy renders these colors more neutral. I know what is placed in the Frelux AA (Samsung) are probably not of the same bin, lot etc. and may not be comparable to an HDS installation so I suppose they could be different. I just prefer the tints that are slightly below the bbl...closer to pink than green. But like I said, the difference only pops when crossing beams. I will try to photograph a colorful object with a 45k 219B (closest I have to 5k) and the same object with the Samsung 5k and post. Might illustrate the difference.
    Last edited by Johnnyh; 08-11-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I meant BELOW the bbl....😀
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

3500K 96 CRI Copper sounds freakin nice.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    3500K 96 CRI Copper sounds freakin nice.
    Yea, that was a tough choice between it and the NB40.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Yea, that was a tough choice between it and the NB40.
    I'm sure it was not easy to choose, warm metal, warm beam. I would have gone with 3500K, but I'm just the poor guy shouting from the stands lol.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

[QUOTE=JKolmo;5406876]Interesting @ johnnyh! Can you please elaborate a bit around the dramatic difference between nichia and samsung 5000k? Thanks![/QUOTE

These are kind of tough since the Frelux is very floody compared to the HDS but it might give some hint as to the difference. Shot at 5000k white balance. The walls are off white...eggshell...bone...old paint? Not sure if the difference is so dramatic as to offset the efficiency and greater lumens the Samsung gives but most of my use is fairly close up at lower output anyways so I like the NB series for that.

Frelux AA Samsung 351D 5k

HDS NB45

example of an LH351d 5000k (not an HDS test)
    focus on the Red bar, CRI R9, and the duv (Tint)

example of an sw45k (non HDS test)

this is the data from the HDS test of the LH351d 5000k

and a data plot (non hds), as a visual aide for what above and below the BBL can look like:

The problems with using data not taken from an HDS are many fold.
    1. The bin code may not be exactly the same.
    2. The window, or lens, will not be the same. We test everything OTF with the the HDS UCL glass, and changing it to the current sapphire WILL change the data some, though we do test this to minimize the effects when we purchase them. Our latest do not impact the lumen output (past sapphire would cut more light coming out the front than the UCL so the driver had to work a hair harder to get the same OTF lumens. In the real word, the difference was nothing to note. Nothing the human eye could tell... but Henry is anal so.... (to be clear, the output would be the same as they are each calibrated so really, you probably wouldn't notice a 1-2 minute runtime difference which you can easily get with the variance in batteries)
    3. The reflector will not be the same. We always test with current production reflectors.
    4. How the emitter is driven can make a huge impact on the data. In the HDS, when both the SDR50 and SDW55 are run under 60 lumens, the CRI value goes up as much as 2 points. This was the same for the SS40. We rate the CRI based on the HDS maximum output so in the case of the Samsung, 300 lumens. In the case of the Nichias, 200 lumens (180 for the lower temperature ones).

All of this being said, what the human eye can tell... it won't make much of a difference. Pass the Sriracha.

I've been using the SDR50 and SDW55 exclusively since I snatched them off the table when Henry wasn't looking.
    If I had to pick one... well, I don't so that is good. It would be a very hard choice. The SDW55 will replace my High Noon. I like the bigger hotspot but between the two, I find I carry the SDW50 more. The SS40 has now been regulated to photo duty. If I'm out in the desert however, I take one of my NLT's.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 08-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Thanks guys much appreciated! Now I hope the SDW55 will be available for my SS spot. And if so I then need to get an SDR50 18650 alu.

Thanks guys much appreciated! Now I hope the SDW55 will be available for my SS spot.
    Me too! The SS and the SDW55 will be a great match if it’s as good as the High Noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    SDW55 will be a great match if it’s as good as the High Noon.
    the Samsung does have a more pleasant tint, and 50% more output, than the 219c

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Samsung 5400k vs. High Noon
    I like your crossed beam photos

can you also share candela specs for those two LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    the Samsung does have a more pleasant tint, and 50% more output, than the 219c

I like your crossed beam photos

can you also share candela specs for those two LEDs?
    I don't have candela specs but I can check with Henry on Monday. He usually doesn't bother with them as HDS really isn't a thrower but more "general purpose" light. While made for caving, we understand most who buy them are not using them in pre-made natural burial sights...
    Although another HDS is an excellent thrower. That would be the Hound Dog Super. Right tool for the job.

More than likely if candela specs are to be done, it will end up in my lap to do. We shall see.
    I play with dead things

Although another HDS is an excellent thrower. That would be the Hound Dog Super. Right tool for the job.
    So true...this reminds me of when Santa (employed by Macy’s) sent the kid over to Gimbels to get the right toy...customer service at its best! Another reason I like you guys.

Exciting news, emitter talk on the copper. Looking forward to my Henry email. I have already decided....I think,.... no, wait, ahhh, eh.... lol.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Flashaholic*

Would be interesting how many BeCu will ever be made, and how many BeCus are left for the regular sale. That is still an unknown secret...

For my spare BeCu I am not sure what I will choose NB35 or SDR50 or NB40 …. I hate it when there are too many great choices. But the LED selection for the BeCu are really cool
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    Would be interesting how many BeCu will ever be made, and how many BeCus are left for the regular sale. That is still an unknown secret...

For my spare BeCu I am not sure what I will choose NB35 or SDR50 or NB40 …. I hate it when there are too many great choices. But the LED selection for the BeCu are really cool
    Total number of BeCu being sold is the usual number as brass and SS...the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I don't know off the top of my head how many sold in the presale. I know enough to do the run with some left over. Beyond that, I don't care! LOL!
    I stop counting once we get enough to do the run. Once those ship, I see how many we have left.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 08-12-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic

Total number of BeCu being sold is the usual number as brass and SS...the answer to life, the universe, and everything. 42
    I assume they fit exactly into a 6 x 9 tray.

Quote Originally Posted by tyu View Post
    I assume they fit exactly into a 6 x 9 tray.
    Actually, we get a free towel from the machinist when we order 42...
    I play with dead things

Well, I chose the Samsung SDW55 to be consistent, I have the high noon in the Titanium, and 325NLT in the brass. Already have both emitters in several lights. So copper is the SDW55. Oh, I do have a 219b 3500 that is used with the double berryl.

now, time to think on stainless.
    Last edited by Commodorefirst; 08-12-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Flashaholic*

I guess the BeCu emitter election is almost over. I ordered mine not long before the pre order ended.

Now the waiting begins for Stainless Steel Emitter selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodorefirst View Post
    Samsung SDW55... 325NLT... 219b 3500

now, time to think on stainless.
    choices are good :-)

the 5000k samsung is a nice tint during the day
    it also makes a nice worklight in the evening
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-13-2020 at 07:39 PM.

It was a tough choice for me, 35 or 40. Went with NB40.
    • 2700k 219C HDS Rotary • 3900k HDS Clicky • 4500k 219B HDS (Bare Al) Rotary •
    • 5700k (High Noon) HDS Clicky • 6200k XP-G2 Orange HDS Rotary • Ra-85-Tr •
    • UV 365nm HDS Rotary • FreLux Synergy2 • 4500k XPL RD BOSS •

Flashaholic*

NB40 is a great choice. It im IMO the best 4000K LED. The complete beam is the same color. I also like the beam with this rosy color.

Total number of BeCu being sold is the usual number as brass and SS...the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Rofl
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

Seriously why is 42 THE number... ??

Flashaholic*

Default Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    Douglas Adams. Hitchhikers Guide........ the movie made 42********** million pounds at the box office. Not a coincidence, or is it?

Oh, and donated blood only lasts 42 days.......

See those asterisks? Look up “asterisk in ASCII”

Jackie Robinson
    Last edited by bigburly912; 09-09-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post

We order 50. Henry gets one. I get one. We then take 6 that are not put together and put them in a back room in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet and place a deadly poisonous critter on the top of them. The room is locked after first releasing a starving tiger in it. The door is sealed, bricked shut, then plastered over so it can't be found. We do this in an abandoned building near Chernobyl. We take turns flying there as neither of us enjoys going through customs with the tiger. They are parts ONLY for warranty work should it arrive in the future. We take the warranty pretty seriously. The reality is, those parts will probably never get used, but we would rather have them to use for warranty work than to tell a customer they are SOL on a special metal light.
    I should also state, dinging it isn't warranty work. That is on the owner and we won't sell these parts no matter what.
    So, that is why 42... and of course, anyone with a towel and leather-bound edition of the Guide takes that number quite seriously.
    I play with dead things

I knew it, i just knew it!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast