Surefire 'KE-head' as Aleph Light Engine Host?

akula88

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post this question.

Is there someone who has machined KE Surefire head (example -- E1L/2L Outdoorsman) and made it a host of McGizmo's Aleph Light Engine?

I already own some Aleph heads, including an machined E2e head. I would like, however, to have another one in HA-III (ODish Green color) and the beefy construction of the SF KE series head interest me.

FlashlightGuide.com showed an article together with photo on the tear down.

I'm also curious if the TIR would be compatible with the Aleph LE, or is there a need to replace the TIR with conventional reflectors.

I'm not a electronic-craft savvy person, so my purpose would be -- to be able to upgrade the head with a simple swap of a new LE, without changing the ergonomics of my existing light. Plus I like the profile of the KE heads :)

Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not totally sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but functionally, mods by @Tana merit your attention on this topic (I would think)

akula88

Enlightened
Hi Archimedes,

I'm referring to stock SF heads being converted as 'mule' for Aleph Light Engines. Way back in the early inception of McGizmo's Aleph LE concept, I actually had these two heads -- a black L1 and E2e heads bored and optimized with reflectors, to accept the Aleph LEs. However, I was crazy to sell the Black L1 setup. I had since been regretting why I sold it. The L1 body, with circuit 'coffin' removed, was also bored to accept 17500.

These are my old photos. :(
wcmGDfk.jpg

HfetuPy.jpg

---------------

I'm trying to replicate a similar modification / conversion, but this time with more current SF heads like the KE1/2 or maybe the KX/KL or even the Lux-V L4 heads. Doing it with stock SF heads exudes a different feeling :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I've not tried it, I'm pretty sure the Aleph engine are 20tpi threads, same size as e-series body threads. I've modded similar heads, like the A2 and L series. I do not remember if there is enough material in the middle section to thread a 3/4" hole, but it's an interesting question.

Some images of a KE head I modified last year:
You can see the brass pill I made
VdxnRZ.jpg

Here are the guts from the middle part of the head. My brass pill is basically a slightly thicker version of that black plastic bit
u0qlqg.jpg

Here's the main issue as I see it. This shows where the stock driver sits, you can see there's not much material to work with here. But of course, we'd have to get accurate measurements to determine further.
vEGzaE.jpg

KE head taken apart, prior to modding
5Q0xmp.jpg

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Datiled used to convert e1 elite heads to mules which accepted aleph le. I have one of those. But it looks like he has concentrated on much higher level stuff since then