I need a new mouse...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
my old microsoft mouse, though clean a a whistle, it is getting clunky. the slippy-pads are also coming off...

i want a new mouse,

i looked at a microsoft optical model that did not have a ball--nice. it was $24. it doesnt have those glued-on slippy-pads--it uses molded-in plastic glides, so i wont have to worry about them coming off. the "no-ball" feature seems nice as well.

looked like what i need. im also considering a wireless model ($39), but i dont have issues with my wired version.

do the optical mouses work well? do i need to use a special pad?

Bob

was_jlh

Enlightened
Bob, bought a Microsoft optical last year, love it, no special pad needed. Mine is the wired version.

Joe

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new optical mice work great... You will not need a pad unless the surface you are working on is too rough or optically plain (no grain or shadows for the camera to track).

-Bill

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I bought an optical mouse on ebay sometime last year after the cord in my Dell optical mouse developed an intermittent.
I have no complaints about the new mouse - other than after spilling some Red Bull on it the right button quit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Let's see if I can get a brand name or something on that...BRB...ehhh doodlebugs!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif There are no markings of any sort anywhere on the mouse itself, and it looks like I got rid of the packaging. No help there, sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will plug the logitech mice too. I have owned several and none have ever died, I just replaced them with newer models. Where whenever I've owned other brands they did die.

I just recently got a logitech cordless rechargeable and I LOVE it. Lots of buttons, smooth scrollwheel, great feel on the table or mouse pad. I highly recommend it.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Microsoft cordless optical mouse that I absolutely LOVE! Not only won't I ever go back to corded, I also won't ever go back to a mouseball. Yuck!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I want to get one of the Microsoft mice that not only has the scrool wheel, but you can tip the wheel left & right to do horizontal scroling (especially in spreadsheets) but I'm waiting for the game developers to add support for that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok...checking out the logitech mx300 and the microsoft "blue" model. im sure either will be fine.

i guess that the logitech works better with games, but i dont game. i aint got game...heh, heh, heh...

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does wireless work...batteries?

do they last long?

sounds like a good iedea, especially if they perform as well as the wired ones.

thanks,
Bob

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DrJ said:
Both MS and Logitech optical cordless mice are nice...you need to get what fits your hand well...I just bought a few my favorite, the MS wireless optical Explorers at Amazon for about $22.50 each free shipping and no tax....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr.J, where on Amazon did you find the mouse for $22.50? I can't seem to find it...maybe they are sold out. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the Logitech models with the recharging stands, they last for years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It runs on 2 AA NiMH cells that are charged whenever you hang up the mouse.

I also have another "portable" one by kensington. It takes AAA's that for me don't last but a 3rd as long as they say they will. But then I use it more than most people I guess. Maybe 3 to 4 weeks a pair. The nice features of this mouse is that the USB adaptor actually hides inside the mouse. So you just slap it in and drop it into the case. Very nice, but overall the performance isn't very good. The mouse works so hard to conserve it's battery power that it goes to sleep in just a few seconds and it doesn't immediately notice that you've moved it. Then it really goes to sleep in only a matter of a minute beyond that and you have to press a button to wake it up. This isn't so bad if you're really on the road or something, but for use at the desk it is annoying as all heck. I used rechargeables in that one too with no problems.

But I still, overwhelmingly recommend the Logitech.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Logitechs, too. But I prefer the Trackman optical cordless mouse.

I've bought 2 now and they both have functioned perfectly.

Admittedly, I have large hands, but my wife asked me to buy one for her new Dell, so smaller hands seem to do fine as well.

Bill

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, here's an ebay URL to the kind of mouse I have.
Note the blue and red LEDs in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That picture about 1/4 of the way down the page that shows blue and red LEDs inside the mouse is actually of MY mouse, and I gave the guy permission to use that picture in his listings.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Logitech MX 700. This is the nicest rechargeable cordless mouse you can get. I have never heard anyone who owns one say a bad thing about them. An awesome mouse! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, cool! I like it.

Where's Saaby? He modded a white LED into his I think.

LitFuse, it's the Mx700 that I've got, great piece of gear. I seriously looked at their next model up, the bluetooth one. But seeing as how none of my gear is likely to have bluetooth in the next year or longer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm just going to have to keep the cradle plugged in all the time anyway, so there was no point in spending another $40 for that. But if you already have a bluetooth phone or something else, the cradle for that model will act as a bluetooth transmitter. Which might be very nice. 'Tis pricy though

JOshooter

Enlightened
The mouse I use to browse the CPF is a Microsoft model with an oversized ball. It gives me no problems but it took a while to get used to.

On my computer downstairs I have an optical mouse. It works great as well, the only problem is that with the mouse pads with a reflective surface the pointer on screen looks like it's on a caffene buzz so I prefer the fabricated pads.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a sucker for trying out the new mice thruout the years as they have been released and the Logitech MX700 is the first cordless I've owned that has been as responsive as a corded model. I do wish they'd hold a charge longer. They only will hold a charge about five days. Also I've killed two sets of batteries for some reason in not much more then a year. Probably in each case only one of the two batteries went south but I just chucked them both.

My Logitech cordless keyboard for which I paid $20 at Staples has yet to go thru a set of batteries in over a year's use.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I love the MS Wheel Mouse Optical. I purchased the OEM version (no box or CD) for $11 at (the site that used to be googlegear.com, I forget the new name) last year.
Try searching "Wheel Mouse Optical" at pricewatch.com.

BTW: do not try to use an optical mouse on a brushed aluminum surface, it'll only drive you crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif