Need advice on a flashlight for my needs.

undersc0re

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good led flashlight for hobby stuff, looking in cool mines or camping/hiking, for what goes bang at night in the back bush, whether an animal or person, and many other things. I have an olight seeker 2pro that does turbo at "3200" lumens and gets hot quickly, but looking for something that can go a little brighter for 10 min at a time. It should be rain proof or withstand submerging in water quickly.

I was considering the olight x7r by olight, since the olight I have now is pretty durable/reliable. The light is about 250 cdn dollars...and do not want to spend more than 300 cdn. Does anyone here have suggestions for alternative flashlights I might investigate? I have searched and there are so many options and different reviews out there...I was also looking closely at the thrunite that was same close spec as x7r....thanks for any suggestions you may have!! Hopefully this is my last stop before I pull the trigger next weekend.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you are waiting for someone with a brain to respond, check out skylumen.com. Vinh is a consumate modder who tends to comcentrate on throw, he warrants his lights and will be a lot easier to deal with than a faceless person in China.
Once you've worked your way around his site someone will have respomded here.
Good luck.
P

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I would look at Malkoff website. He has a light for every occasion. Not sure if you want more throw, flood, or a good mix of both, but he has it covered. Also, you can choose cool, neutral, and even warm with some models. His lights may not be "3200" lumens, but they will run as described in his description. Simple UI and potted. I am rough on my lights I take to work, and his have never failed me. Let us know what you choose.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found the Nitecore P30 to be a good all around light. It runs on one 18650 or two CR123 primaries. It is small enough that it rides comfortably on one's belt, and fits nicely in the hand. Turbo is 1000 lumens, but I don't know how long before it steps down. What I really like about it is that its spill is just about perfect. On the lower modes it does a great job of lighting up the surrounding area. It has a claimed range of 600m. I haven't tested to see how accurate that is, but I do know that it able to light up the side of a grain bin that was light by an all night mercury vapor light enough that I could see the beam on the side. The beam is really nice and tight, to the point that one can see it clearly within the spill when using the higher modes. Best of all, the MSRP is ~ $60 USD.

atticus

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to add my name to this, please!

I had a Nuwai Q100, that was recommended on this forum about 11 years ago(!) Either stupidity or a light fingered co-worked has caused this wonderful little torch to disappear and I do not seem to be able to find the model anymore online.

Can anyone suggest a worthy successor, please?

undersc0re

Newly Enlightened
The more I look the more I find, the harder my decision gets lol! This forum is definitely very informative! Many of the led flashlights seem to rated decent, it might be best to watch for a sale on a quality one maybe, since I am not in a huge rush! I thought I narrowed down my choices until I spent the morning looking on YouTube and this forum!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yeah... the more you look, the more you want!

Ten years ago it was much easier to make a specific recommendation than today, because back then there were fewer options.
IMO when considering a good hiking camping light, I am more concerned with run-time than I am with over-all output. IMO if a light gets hot quickly, it is burning too many watts, and will have too short a run-time. So if you want a light that will do more than 3200 lumens, it will have to be a bigger light, and have more battery capacity. Something like one of the coke can lights but even most of those are designed to pump out the lumens, and they get hot. So I'd want to run it at a lower output. Yet... they are larger than what I want to carry on a hike.

Actually... IMO hiking/camping, a headlamp is the way to go. Maybe a 26650 thrower in a holster for giggles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight makes one called Protac HL5 that can do the output of a coke can light from a couple years ago. 3500 lumens from a pair of 18650 batteries for over an hour.
Weighs a little over a pound (525-550 grams depending on fuel source) and can run on non rechargeables if need be.
Side switch and tail switch on the body that can tailstand and comes with a sturdy wrist strap.
It's meant for search and rescue use but could be easily used for exploration.
Way less than $100 US. About $80 for the regular version or about $96 for the USB rechargeable version.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at Malkoff website. He has a light for every occasion. Not sure if you want more throw, flood, or a good mix of both, but he has it covered. Also, you can choose cool, neutral, and even warm with some models. His lights may not be "3200" lumens, but they will run as described in his description. Simple UI and potted. I am rough on my lights I take to work, and his have never failed me. Let us know what you choose.

I would also recommend Malkoff!