Maglite XL50 Mods??

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I have an old Maglite XL50 that I've had for a long time and haven't used it for a long time too. The beam is terrible and it uses the goofy 3xAAA holder, how does the reflector and plastic lens come out of the head of this thing? I was thinking of maybe doing a clear coat orange peel spray to the reflector and replace the plastic lens for a glass lens to give the light a little help and just keep it in the kitchen draw or tool box or something. Or are there any EZ mods that have been done with this light? Searches don't turn up much for mods on the XL50.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's kinda an oddball maglite. Depends on your modding skills, but I understand an 18500 cell is a pretty close replacement for a 3xAAA battery holder. I've a torch like this (much cheaper than yours) that's on my "to mod" list.

On the reflector, it's crappy mainly because it's incan, correct? Maybe look into doing a full upgrade, toss a basic 17mm driver and LED. That would definitely bring it up to modern. On the lens, look for flashlightlens dot com. As long as you know the diameter/ thickness in mm, you can order from there.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Well, that's kinda an oddball maglite. ...On the reflector, it's crappy mainly because it's incan, correct?

This flashlight was never offered as an incandescent. Reading this I'm not sure if you are familiar with this light or not.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Well I haven't checked back here for a while, after a week I figured no one would respond but anyway, the xl50 is not incan it's led but the led looks quite small maybe an early xpe or something similar. I thought the reflector would unscrew from the head but it turns but it doesn't come out and a 18500 could possibly fit but the contact pins are probably not going to be compatible. So for now I'll put some nimh in it and leave in the garage. An OP reflector and a glass lens would help some. If it takes the same size lens as the MiniMag 2xAA then I do have a new glass lens already. Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The XL50 has a Maglite propritary LED engine that can be popped out of the tail end. Taking the engine apart and applying a new LED can be done but it's not a simple plug and play thing.

The lens is held in by a press in reflector similar to incan solitaires and minimags but fits tighter. A glass lens would be real thick so an ultraclear acrylic from flash light lens dot com would be good. Hard coating is available too.

The way Maglite built the tail cap would need to be modified since the pins make both positive and negative contact to the battery carrier at the center area. An 18500 can conceivably be used but again no easy task.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I have some D cells Mags with some EZ swap parts modding but the XL50 would be more trouble than what it's worth, it still works Ok but it's job now is to sit in my tool chest in the garage with 3 ni-mh Eneloops just in case I need some light and I don't have one on me (which is unlikely) lol.
And thanks again.