Phillips Hue Flashlight?

Stoneking

Enlightened
Curious if anyone thinks it would be possible to use the driver and leds from a Phillips Hue e12 bulb to create a flashlight.
I'm interested in the idea of being able to change the color temperature and well.... the color as well.

Any thoughts on this?
Do you think it could work?
How difficult do you think it might be?

I understand the limitations would most likely require WiFi to make the color changes, as well as a Hue Bridge.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised this cant be done or hasn't come out in a flashlight yet. It would be a game changer

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I predicted this kind of flashlight many years ago on this forum, glad to see someone with more technical skill is willing to give it a try.

The key is to mount the emitter to your phone or device, so a case that has an E12 socket on the front/top with the power supply on the back would bring it all together. A reflector for the bulb assembly would only need to be makeshift since there won't be any way to coherently focus a single uniform hotspot due to all the emitters (my original vision was an RGB multi-die single emitter, we're getting there..) Since the whole thing will be a bit clunky, you might consider designing a larger spotlight-esque format case and using the bridge-less Bluetooth version of the standard A19 bulb, so the entire unit would be self-contained.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly like the idea. Being able to adjust for color temperature on the fly? I could see that monopolizing the LED emitter game, eventually.

We're not there yet, but it's intriguing. Maybe a magnetic ring for lumen output and a secondary ring for temp?
Of course we'd have to advance to smaller components to make it pocket-able

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly like the idea. Being able to adjust for color temperature on the fly? I could see that monopolizing the LED emitter game, eventually.

We're not there yet, but it's intriguing. Maybe a magnetic ring for lumen output and a secondary ring for temp?
Of course we'd have to advance to smaller components to make it pocket-able
Do you mean in a single emitter?

Stoneking

Enlightened
This is what I was referring to...
http://i.imgur.com/xii1D9U.jpeg

This photo is from a larger (standard) size bulb, not the e12 version.
The e12 is a more compact bulb.

I can't understand how supplying this bulb with a battery wouldn't be possible.
Once it's powered everything else is controlled via WiFi.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
That would be an interesting project. The only problem I can see straight away that the flashlight body will have to be modded for the WiFi / Bluetooth antenna due to the body being metal (and then bury the antenna with some potting resin or whatever's else like Silicone bathtub glues which is technically removable so it doesn't dangle, instead conformed to the metalwork cut in body). And I would like to see the E12 LED MCPCB board so I can decide to use this or go with Cree / Luxeon "multicore" RGB LED on a more standard MCPCB to make the flashlight job a snap.

However, the problems becomes that how much voltage do the CPU voltage regulator require to properly step down to 1.1 Volts (if the CPU concerned here is a full-on Cortex A series CPU, that is). If it uses higher voltage, it would then be a challenge to hold multiple Lithium-ion batteries safely without going out with a violent bang (multi-celled Lithium-ion flashlights almost always carry the risk of explosion due to cell voltage mismatch which the Lithium-ion batteries do not like).

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
Curious if anyone thinks it would be possible to use the driver and leds from a Phillips Hue e12 bulb to create a flashlight.
I'm interested in the idea of being able to change the color temperature and well.... the color as well.

Any thoughts on this?
Do you think it could work?
How difficult do you think it might be?

I understand the limitations would most likely require WiFi to make the color changes, as well as a Hue Bridge.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

I was always hopeful that we would see some more successful implementations of the "MELD" UI by @Everett ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...05-My-Medusa&p=4489149&viewfull=1#post4489149

... but I'm not sure of the status of any of those projects.

I think using something purpose-built like that would work far better, than trying to adapt the "Hue"

Multi-color / multi-tint torches are also a particular interest of mine, too.