• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Imalent R90TS King Of High Output Throwers?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I was told the MS18 gets INSTANTLY hot so I figure I give the R90TS a try since it might be less hot at 36K Lumen VS 100K

My Impressions:

• Great Build quality. Everything I can touch and see if on par with brand like Nitecore and almost Acebeam.
  • Way cool CPU like copper cooling system
  • Turn On measured at 1Mcd!!!!
  • 30s measured at 800Kcd!!!
  • Perfect beam with filled hot spot and soft transitions
  • Turbo is likely 36K Lumen at Turn O
  • "15K Lumen" level can likely run continuously
  • Light is
  • Nice simple LCD screen that shows Lumen, Voltage and state of Heat
  • OK UI. From OFF press and hold does nothing. Quick click Turn ON/OFF. When ON press and hold to cycle levels. Double Click = Turbo
  • Fan only turn on at "10K Lumen" level or greater "10K Lumen" level is 5K Lumen tops
  • Turbo 36K Lumen level gets head too hot to touch in 1min. Can't imagine quickly the MS18 will get too hot to touch.
  • "24K Lumen level is about 15K Lumen at turn on with fresh cells and will get head very hot but burning hot too quick
  • Fan is loud but doesn't blow as much air as it sounds
  • Lens severely fog up on Turbo. Will fade away after cool down but never 100% gone.
  • Battery rattle in handle
  • Light is heavy and slippery
  • Light weigh 4lb 3oz
  • Light seems relatively compact for it is
  • Battery drain ULTRA fast even. Running "15K Lumen" wont likely get you the 80min specs runtime

I will run many cycles to test this light reliability but so far I am very impressed! As long as we understand this light heat limitations/boundaries then I think its a great tool and an excellent novelty. I pray that its reliable because if it is then all the major players have a lot to worry about. There is nothing I can do to this light to make it any brighter. The LEDs potential is max out.

King of High Output Throwers? YES!!!

Last edited:
Epic light, certainly holds its own place, but I see it as very similar to an expensively modded BLF GT. The size/weight is enormous, the fan is loud and incredibly annoying through all videos I've seen of it, and the hefty price matches the size. Surely you get what you pay for, but will you really get (out of it) what you paid for it? Will it's cumbersome attributes push it to a nice shelf, to be handled on rare occasions despite favorable environments? I can't say, as I don't own it, (and never will until it's under $300) but it doesn't interest me in the same way as something of the likes of an Acebeam X65 mini or TN40Svn. It's also a stock light without the true vn-ization, while your stamp of approval is certainly worth something, nothing compares to the feeling of, "Vinh, Master of All That is Light transformed this daily vessel into a product of future things yet to come."

I buy from you and rave about you to my friends and family because your mods are often times 1-3 years ahead in specs to stock lights. The more you push something beyond its understood limitations and capabilities, the greater my (and likely others too) interest peaks! This particular offering currently fails to capture those feelings, feelings worth $50-150 alone.

Nonetheless I can't wait to see what else you have in this category of high output throwers in times to come! Becoming my new favorite variety!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best mod would be to try to change out the fans for quieter ones. There's a certain point where a light just becomes too large to be a flashlight for me, so it's not interesting to me, but it definitely is impressive.

The GT4 will be a larger, heavier, and way quieter alternative.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
On my 3rd charge cycle and light is still moving along. I am very impressed! Yes it's a novelty light on Turbo but so are 80% of others lights that we love on Turbo are. If this light makes 10 cycles of battery charges with no issues then I consider it a major success for Imalent and a milestone reached in the flashlight world.

coke9

Newly Enlightened
Waited several years to upgrade from my K40vn and finally bought an X65vn a couple months ago with 5,000K LEDs. Now this light comes out and makes mine look weak :mecry:

I will say though after owning my X65vn, I wouldn't want any type of light like this with LEDs cooler than 5000K and personally I think something around 3500-4000 might be the way to go with this type of light.

luxxlightsaber

Enlightened
Waited several years to upgrade from my K40vn and finally bought an X65vn a couple months ago with 5,000K LEDs. Now this light comes out and makes mine look weak :mecry:

I will say though after owning my X65vn, I wouldn't want any type of light like this with LEDs cooler than 5000K and personally I think something around 3500-4000 might be the way to go with this type of light.

This is the X65vn mini much smaller than the X65 and way smaller than R90TS.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Despite the much greater output if I can pick one I am still taking the x65vn mini it's so much smaller and lighter with no battery pack to worry about. It's also much easier to service or upgrade in the future. The R90TS is great so far and I love it. The weigh size and heat is expected but the fan noise and fear of dirt or water getting inside keeps me mindful.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting.

Less emitters with larger wells would give less power and somewhat similar throw.

Getting less throw from smaller reflector wells is made up by having oh so many of them! :drool:

Build quality, reliability; and throw versus X65vn, both at 15 seconds, are my interest points.

How many meters throw?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pics that Vinh posted in this thread have finally opened for me, instead of tiny no-pic icons, so I now have the meters spec, and exciting beamshots that I have been waiting two years for to drool over.

December, 2016 is when I received the first Acebeam X65Vn that passed through Vinhs' hands: X2 spec 1, battery circuit protection delete: 11500 lumens, 645000 lux, and 1606 meters.

Now, two and a half years later, July, 2019, there is: Imalent R90TS, with, so far, at this time: ~35,000 lumens, ~800kcd, 1789 meters.

I have purchased only six lights, all Vinh54, since December, 2016, and my most recent purchase, June, 2017, was the Acebeam X45vn XHP70.2, KG Tuning specimen, (through Vinhs' hands) which I have used daily as my main four-cell power-flooder for the past two years.

I think the Imalent R90TS will be my fifteenth Vinh light, breaking a two and a half year wait for a light with (some) more throw than the X65Vn, along with (a lot) more lumens than the X65Vn.

Is it too soon to start thinking about a light with both (a lot) more throw than the X65Vn, along with (a lot) more lumens than the X65VN? :drool:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Kind of a novelty light on Turbo but most high power lights are. This is the first imalent that I am truly impressed with in both build quality, reliability and performance. Here is the only negative.

The lower levels specs are not correct. The 10K Lumen mode is more like 5K lumen and even at this level the light Fan is on constantly and is very annoying. Also there is no way to control the fan independently. The LCD screen also display a useless blinking triangle heat logo when it could display other useful info. Minor gripes really.

This light is so heavily driven I don't think we need to boost it any further....