Angryfox        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Acebeam W30vn - The LED Thrower R

Flashaholic

Default Re: Acebeam W30vn - The LED Thrower R

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I dont know why there so are much variance. Some boost 200kcd while some boost 600kcd...my guess focusing from the factory. So I am a bit short on supply still since 3 sample didnt boost al all. At least most people will gets theirs soon.
    A combination of factors, but the largest contributor is likely the diode output. These (certainly in the case of ones used for consumer-level lights) commonly have tolerances for threshold current and slope efficiency in the tens of percent. So the output characteristics of two identical model diodes can look like:

That difference in vertical height between two sample when in the lasing regime can add up to a pretty significant output difference. Since the diodes are operated closer to saturation than not, there's not much room to improve one that ended up on the bottom tit - just a touch too much drive and *poof* - the narrow drive range for lasing and the suicide cliff after saturation make pushing too hard on these risky.

Add to that the centering/focus/phosphor variances, this wild swing in output capabilities is not surprising.

All sample put out relatively the same ball park 520 Lumen though...
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Even if my VN sample is one of the 1.7's, and I have a stock 1.8 that wouldn't boost, I'd keep the VN model and sell the factory light. Too many other things about a VN light that make it special beyond just ouput/intensity. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't really hoping for something over 2 million! Already have a tracking number, so I'll find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDissent View Post
    Even if my VN sample is one of the 1.7's, and I have a stock 1.8 that wouldn't boost, I'd keep the VN model and sell the factory light. Too many other things about a VN light that make it special beyond just ouput/intensity. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't really hoping for something over 2 million! Already have a tracking number, so I'll find out soon!
    That comment means alot!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I received my two Acebeam W30vn's yesterday.

One is rated by Vinh at 1.75 Mcd, while the other is over 2 Mcd. Both were boosted.

These both look more intense than my Maxtoch LEP, and the beam is clearly less warm than the Maxtoch.

Needless to say, the Acebeam W30 is incredible, and when Vinh can boost it becomes even more so.

Has anyone sent their Maxtoch LEP to Vinh for boosting?

Almost forgot to mention, the Acebeam 21700 battery included with the W30 is too long for any of my chargers. Some can handle 21700's. Luckily it can be charged via a USB wall charger.
    Last edited by star_c_star; 09-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Modded: 2 REV-Victor Enth * 2 DEFT-X's * 3 BLF GTvn90 * 2 TN42vn90 * TN42vn Oslon * RC40vn40 * X65vn * Tmack: c11(638nm 957mw * 405nm 1w * v2 445nm 2.83w) * Cypreus (405nm 1w * 445nm 2.72w) * Tmag super (445nm 5.6w * 445nm 3.2w * 520nm 1.5w)

I also received my w30vn yesterday. Thank goodness mine was able to get boosted. I got the 1.85mcd. I took it out along with my tv42vn90 and shined it about 300 meters. To my surprise, there was a pretty noticeable difference at the target. I didnít expect to see much, but you can clearly see that the w30vn spanks the tn42vn90. This light is so much fun to play.
    I frickin left my phone at home so I couldnít ge a beam shot. Iíll try and do one when I can

Anyone have a w30 in 4000k that looks green/yellow?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Haven't all of the 4000K tint versions been reported at green/yellow? ....or am I remembering reports for NW purchasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Haven't all of the 4000K tint versions been reported at green/yellow? ....or am I remembering reports for NW purchasers?
    Bummer

TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Quote Originally Posted by star_c_star View Post
    I received my two Acebeam W30vn's yesterday.

One is rated by Vinh at 1.75 Mcd, while the other is over 2 Mcd. Both were boosted.

These both look more intense than my Maxtoch LEP, and the beam is clearly less warm than the Maxtoch.

Needless to say, the Acebeam W30 is incredible, and when Vinh can boost it becomes even more so.

Has anyone sent their Maxtoch LEP to Vinh for boosting?

Almost forgot to mention, the Acebeam 21700 battery included with the W30 is too long for any of my chargers. Some can handle 21700's. Luckily it can be charged via a USB wall charger.

Everyone keep talking abotu the Maxtoch. I still have not seen one :-(

You need an SC2 charger ;-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    I also received my w30vn yesterday. Thank goodness mine was able to get boosted. I got the 1.85mcd. I took it out along with my tv42vn90 and shined it about 300 meters. To my surprise, there was a pretty noticeable difference at the target. I didnít expect to see much, but you can clearly see that the w30vn spanks the tn42vn90. This light is so much fun to play.
    I frickin left my phone at home so I couldnít ge a beam shot. Iíll try and do one when I can
    It is fun! I literally move it form vehicle to vehicle and so far its the only "big" light that I have done it with. I always want it in the car to spot things.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I handled one. Didnt even bother to boost it. TOO YELLOW. Not neutral yellow. Just Dehydrated PISS YELLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    Anyone have a w30 in 4000k that looks green/yellow?

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    Bummer

The HCRI one is not bad but there is likely a performance hit as with the samples I have seen.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

All the samples shipped were boosted sampled. I had 4 that didnt boost much if any.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

5 more W30vn should ship tomorrow.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I have had more time to play with my two Acebeam W30vn's.

With my Extech lux meter, I measured the weaker one at 1.6 Mcd at 30 feet, and the stronger one at 2.5 Mcd at the same distance. At the same distances, the spot from the 2.5 Mcd one always seems smaller and more intense than the spot from the weaker one. I haven't had a chance to try distances over 300 feet, but I suspect the same relationship would be true.

Vinh boosted each light, but one started out with a more focused beam.

I wonder how difficult it would be to optimize the focus, for a narrower beam at any distance? It probably would not be easy, considering you could adjust the laser diode, two reflective mirrors, phosphor layer (maybe?), blocking element, and the focusing lens(es). It was just luck that one of my two W30vns had a really nice optimized beam.
    Last edited by star_c_star; 09-17-2019 at 05:09 AM. Reason: completeness
    Modded: 2 REV-Victor Enth * 2 DEFT-X's * 3 BLF GTvn90 * 2 TN42vn90 * TN42vn Oslon * RC40vn40 * X65vn * Tmack: c11(638nm 957mw * 405nm 1w * v2 445nm 2.83w) * Cypreus (405nm 1w * 445nm 2.72w) * Tmag super (445nm 5.6w * 445nm 3.2w * 520nm 1.5w)

Could you please provide a side by side beamshot of the two in the sky? You could tail stand them and them just show the beam from bottom to top how intense they are.

I ask because I just bought a K75vn likely around 1.7-1.8mcd and I want to know if the 1.6mcd W30 beam looks more intense, simply because itís tighter, vs a comparatively massive 1.7mcd wide beam. Iíd also like to envision what a 2.5mcd K75vn would look like, and a side by side of your w30s would give a nice representation of what I could expect in intensity difference.

Thanks,
    OnlyOwnEnergizer250Lumen

More lumens = more visible beam.

I have had more time to play with my two Acebeam W30vn's.

With my Extech lux meter, I measured the weaker one at 1.6 Mcd at 30 feet, and the stronger one at 2.5 Mcd at the same distance. At the same distances, the spot from the 2.5 Mcd one always seems smaller and more intense than the spot from the weaker one. I haven't had a chance to try distances over 300 feet, but I suspect the same relationship would be true.

Vinh boosted each light, but one started out with a more focused beam.

I wonder how difficult it would be to optimize the focus, for a narrower beam at any distance? It probably would not be easy, considering you could adjust the laser diode, two reflective mirrors, phosphor layer (maybe?), blocking element, and the focusing lens(es). It was just luck that one of my two W30vns had a really nice optimized beam.
    What did I measure for ur 2.5 sample?
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Could you please provide a side by side beamshot of the two in the sky? You could tail stand them and them just show the beam from bottom to top how intense they are.

I ask because I just bought a K75vn likely around 1.7-1.8mcd and I want to know if the 1.6mcd W30 beam looks more intense, simply because itís tighter, vs a comparatively massive 1.7mcd wide beam. Iíd also like to envision what a 2.5mcd K75vn would look like, and a side by side of your w30s would give a nice representation of what I could expect in intensity difference.

Thanks,
    OnlyOwnEnergizer250Lumen

I'll try, but those types of night beam photos are not easy unless you have some experience taking them.

What did I measure for ur 2.5 sample?
    You measured 2.4 Mcd.

I had to move the Extech lux meter around in the small spot before I found the brightest area. To my eye, it all looked equally bright.

Even at 30 foot distance, the beam spot is very small.
    Last edited by star_c_star; 09-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.

You measured 2.4 Mcd.

I had to move the Extech lux meter around in the small spot before I found the brightest area. To my eye, it all looked equally bright.

Even at 30 foot distance, the beam spot is very small.
    So i guess the record is still 2.66Mcd
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Vinh, when you had these lights taken apart, how sensitive does the focusing look? Like did it seem like everything is held in place pretty well? Reason for me asking is because My light dropped out of my pocket on tile as I was kneeling down to tie my shoelace. Would this type of any other drop ruin the focus and drop 200kcd? Haha

Smile Re: Acebeam W30vn - The LED Thrower R

Vinh, when you had these lights taken apart, how sensitive does the focusing look? Like did it seem like everything is held in place pretty well? Reason for me asking is because My light dropped out of my pocket on tile as I was kneeling down to tie my shoelace. Would this type of any other drop ruin the focus and drop 200kcd? Haha
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

I was wondering the same thing myself.
    One of these days I will break one down as far as I can. With such great variation in factory beam tuning I fear things arent too "fixed".
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

One of these days I will break one down as far as I can. With such great variation in factory beam tuning I fear things arent too "fixed".
    I was thinking the same thing, which is why I got mad at myself when it dropped. Luckily I tested the lux as soon as I got it. I will charge up the same battery and test again tonight. Itíll be funny if it tuned up the focus for better....lol

I received an Xtar o4s fast charger yesterday. It can charge the long Acebeam 21700 batteries that came with the Acebeam W30vn's, with a couple millimeters to spare.

The default charging rate of 4.1 A was manually dropped to 2 A before I charged the two batteries.

However, even after a full charge, the candela I measured for my two W30vn's remained about the same. The 2.5 Mcd one did go to 2.6 Mcd. The 1.6 Mcd one remained exactly the same.

All W30vn should ships in 3 days.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

All W30vn Ships TODAY ;-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

What a good batch. 3 of 5 are ~2.2Mcd
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast