Identical HDSs

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many of you have two or more HDSs of the same type?
I'm thinking of modding another Twisty with exactly the same emitters and driver as my existing one. Apart from the pleasure of doing it (which is immense), I can't think of a good reason to have two lights that do the same thing.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, to use a basketball term, a triple-double ... 85-Tr / 100-wwCT / 170-CT (two each, not ten of each lol)

Now, some of these are not identical as a few do vary in their battery tube configurations.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha! But the same light comes out the front?
I know you're not going to try and persuade me, but why do you have duplicates?
P

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two Execs. w/Golden Dragons and 2 w/HCRI XPG's, the warm ones (120's or 140's, can't remember for either of them). All identical, 123 tubes, silver bezels, flush tails.

Reason: I can't help myself, and the GD's were $99 and the HCRI's $139. Now my 18650 SW45... :broke:

I also have two identical natural (more gray, really) Novatac 120P's. I still like that interface more than any other - double-click-press to ramp up, repeat for down and then off to save or switch presets to cancel the change. It rocks for me to fine-tune a preset as dusk is fading into dark and my night vision is ramping up.

More than two Novatac Classic 2xAA's, but those are red-headed step children as they are imports. Still have the great interface (after 250 clicks, anyway). And the post-bankruptcy price was totally irresistible. Heads also fit and work on my $1.99 2x123 pre-Novatac tubes from Lighthound, with 17670 or 18650 mod only - 2 cells kills the elf.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how you define "same". I have several Rotaries and several Clickies, if that's what you mean. But they're all different in some way, emitter or cerakote usually.
81b3df9799ee75eac1ef964bb8f2ba69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point recently, I had two sw45 executives. This caused an existential crisis, as I had no use for two but loved them both. In the end, I decided that the funds were better appropriated elsewhere, so I sent one to a loving new home.

Sometimes, the desire to have something is more enjoyable than owning it. I've found that I'm happier by keeping this hobby simple.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have five HDS flashlights. If you ask my wife, that is what she will say. In other words, to someone that does not appreciate the subtle differences, they are simply five of the same flashlights.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS Flashlights are all the same, all black, all made by HDS, all have a LED and a tailcap, ...

...but no I really do not have identical HDS. If I have a same looking light at least the LEDs are different, often the configured UI is also different.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few but none that are identical twins. If I can remember what all I have; the only two of the same emitters are the 219b R9050. However one is a rotary and the other is an executive (rotary is also currently 18650).

If we get the anniversary light, I might end up with 2 NB40's but different metals. The only way I could do identical twins is on my absolute favorite emitters (definitely 219b R9050 and possibly 219b R9080 4000k)

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two Tr85 Twisties, but somebody talked me out of one of them--for the best, as it now turns out. This is easier to do with smaller, less costly lights, and I keep just-in-case duplicates of several favorites, such as the Rey Light version of the Lumintop Tool Ti and the 4sevens Mini CR2. In my active fishing years, I always carried in my kit bag a spare Hardy reel of the exact same model as the one I was using on my rod. Just go for it, Peter, you'll be happy you did.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reassurance chaps.
I expect I'll make another triple in the Autumn.
I went through a phase of wanting two of eveything, in case the first one broke, and of course I never needed the backup.
I now feel the need of two HDS Triples, two 170ns and three OR Nichis triple drop ins. After that I'll be complete.
P

Last edited: