Microfire Light Storm S90

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
Anyone have any further information on this? I'm pretty certain it's an LEP. Price is likely to be exorbitantly high as well, but that's just a guess.
201709181432392440.jpg
Specs:
Peak beam intensity: 20,000,000 cd
Range: 9,000 m
Beam divergence 0.5°- 25°
Bezel diameter: 160 mm
Housing diameter: 150 mm
Length: 280 mm
Weight: 4.5 kg
working temperature: -33℃ – +55℃
Power supply: 12 – 28 V external DC input or battery pack

http://www.microfire-system.com/productsinfo.aspx?CateId=38&Id=112

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
About $4-5k.

Pre-production prototype is getting tweaked. Production currently taking a back seat to the lower-spec, lower-cost S50 which microfire submitted for a large government bid.

Production is still planned, the "LE/military agencies" is certainly not from microfire: they've made it clear they'll take my money happily.

I'll update this post when/if I get more updates from by microfire contact.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
About $4-5k.

Pre-production prototype is getting tweaked. Production currently taking a back seat to the lower-spec, lower-cost S50 which microfire submitted for a large government bid.

Production is still planned, the "LE/military agencies" is certainly not from microfire: they've made it clear they'll take my money happily.

I'll update this post when/if I get more updates from by microfire contact.

Excellent information, thank you!

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
I inquired about being placed on a list for the S90, but they keep trying to convince me to buy the Optispike S50 instead. I'm not interested in that model, but I'm having a difficult time getting them to understand that. The emails are going slowly as due to time zones they reply while I'm sleeping, and vice versa. Seems like the S90 is months away, and perhaps they're trying to get ride of the rest of the S50's as they're pretty much made obsolete by the new model.

Rasher

Enlightened
I inquired about being placed on a list for the S90, but they keep trying to convince me to buy the Optispike S50 instead. I'm not interested in that model, but I'm having a difficult time getting them to understand that. The emails are going slowly as due to time zones they reply while I'm sleeping, and vice versa. Seems like the S90 is months away, and perhaps they're trying to get ride of the rest of the S50's as they're pretty much made obsolete by the new model.

It's a small company. From what I've been told, no plans to dump S50 - it's a smaller and much less expensive option (as in ~ 1/2 the price of the S90).

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Looks like a pretty exciting light, specs say 9000m of throw! I'm excited myself to see the evolution of Lep's, I currently own 2, for these I'll really need to save up!

Rob

zip

Newly Enlightened
Looks like an upgrade is on the way.

"Light Storm S90 is under development and the updated version S100 will be available by the end of year. S100 will be featured by a brand new laser diode light source and the max range will be not shorter than 9 km. Meanwhile, it will be more rugged to bear the shock and drop."

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
All jokes aside, with lights like this, maybe mounting a pair of binoculars directly to the light might be a good idea. 5 1/2 miles? Dude, come on..........

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhh hi BVH.. Yes.. Anything on that S90 …??

I have been asleep for too long I guess. Learned about LEP yesterday! I'm now crying in a corner of my room

BTW: On their official site, they claim to have the world record on throw LOL ! So, I thought "Do they know something I don't."…Well, I just checked Maxablaster and noticed that it still works perfectly, doing a steady some 53 Mcd.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks BVH..

There is one thing that worries me tho:

If we say the S90 has an optical aperture of 150mm, then I don't think we're far off.
Maxablaster has some 220mm.
A small simple calculation points out, that when the light engine of the S90 would be fitted with an optical diameter of 220mm, it would pump out some 43 Mcd.
That's close enough to the 53 Mcd of Maxablaster, and for me to be worried !

The pics of the S90 make me believe that they use a fine grid Fresnel lens to keep things light, a 150mm full glass condenser setup would make it unacceptably heavy!

I also must still have a few 350mm Fresnels laying around.. And a 1000mW blue laser. Must look into what kind of 'crystallic phosphor' they use in LEP's.
Because I also still have diamond disks, which are by far the best to grab away heat from that phosphor.

Many years ago, I already exited the phosphor of a white Cree, with that 1000mW blue laser, and was amazed by the amount of light it produced, for less than one second, after which it pooofed away the phosphor and so ruined that Cree..!

I feel some new challenges in the air BVH….

BVH

Flashaholic
Did you see the thread on the +-114,000,000 CP "portable" light that member PolarLi built for himself and one for me?

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok…. just now i did !! Damn, thats some piece of work!
So it runs on batteries?? For how long?

Increddible…:eek::eek::eek: