How old is your checking account?

turbodog

Flashaholic
I did some work for a guy a week or so ago. His check arrived a few days ago. I am sitting here making up my deposit and happen to notice the account opening date on the face of his check. "10-52" This checking account is 51 years old. Guess that's pretty good customer loyalty.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
26 years of living on the edge with my bank that has changed names 4 or 5 times with out any disruption of service and moved to my new home and there is a branch here as well so I got my home loan through them so it looks like it will be 41 years if I make it to the house payoff.LOL fat chance of that

Darell

Flashaholic
Is that normal to have the account open date printed on the checks? Just looked at mine, and nothing there. I do know that my latest account is less than a year old though, so no excitement there. I don't like to stay in one place too long... too easy to track me down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
My folks have been with the same bank since before I was born. I'm 35. The account number is funny. 0000000000XXX. Since the bank's terminals don't require leading zeroes sometimes dad just uses the three digit number. When he's at a branch that isn't his home account they tell him the account number *can't* be just three digits...until they input it and there it is.

My account is only 14 years old as I moved here 14 years ago. I do still have an account back home that is now going on 30 years old althought the checking is only about 20 years old.

-F

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure when I opened it but I'm on check #3827 and don't write a lot of checks each month, more before I got my visa check card.

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's about -4 months old. Bank won't let me open a checking account until I turn 18 which is really a PITA because although I can get cash from ATMs, it's really not that convenient to try and deal in $20s all the time.

It's not like that helps me save money either though, as I do have a PayPal account linked to my savings account and that spells B-R-O-K-E.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone use a Credit Union?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
It's about -4 months old. Bank won't let me open a checking account until I turn 18 which is really a PITA because although I can get cash from ATMs, it's really not that convenient to try and deal in $20s all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a money market savings account at 16 that let me write 3 checks a month.
Not sure if the rules have changed.

Samoan

Enlightened
Federal Regulation D, subsection MM.

Money Market Accounts are allowed 6 remote transactions per calendar month, of which a maximum of three can be checks.

The age limitation have very little to do with the account type and everything to do with the age of majority from state to state. Those checks are little contracts allowing others to draw from your account.

-F

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Those checks are little contracts allowing others to draw from your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! I want to open a money market simply because they draw higher interest, but I still couldn't get checks for it because they're contracts and so it's a liability for me to be running around signing contracts I guess.

I could go open an account at another bank but my whole family banks at this credit union, so it's easy to push money around into each others' account--additionally my sister works there so I just send my pay checks with her.

If it was going to be another year before I could open an account I might worry about it, but where it's just under 4 months I'm not sweating it. I figure it's easier to save my money if it's harder to access it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif