Stuffing cells into a 6D Maglite

302w

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post, please be nice!

I do not know a ton about lights in general but I've been doing some homework on modding a 6D maglite. It seems like most people mod either small mags or 6Ds for high lumen.

I'm looking to use a simple LED bulb (cheap ebay/amazon, Malkhoff out of budget at this time) and cram as many cells and as much capacity in as possible. Some LEDs have a maximum voltage of 12 and others 9.

Can you reccomend a cell type?

18650s grow on trees but I can only stack them in the tube. I'm looking at ~5 cells, and 9000-18000 mAh.

26650s seem viable. I would attempt to build 3, 2 cell housings so I could wire them in parallel for 11.7 volts (I failed EE 201 so I'm probably wrong). They're expensive at $2-10 a cell, so I'd like an alternative.

14500s might be best due to the cheap price and 18 cells I could fit in, but wiring so many in parallel could be cumbersome.

Can anyone make a suggestion on a cell to use or share a past build? I'm seeking runtime and better than stock lighting, nothing crazy.

I'm sorry if my post is full of inaccuracies. But, if anyone needs advice with fuel fired, mantle generated candle power I'm your guy!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello and :welcome:

If I understand you correctly, you're concerned about the remaining runtime of the sun (~5 more billion years), so are planning for the long game - I can respect that. ;)

All kidding aside, I can't recall someone looking for /so much/ runtime. Mags have never been my thing, but the only other option that occurs to me is the lost art of tri-boring - CPF machinists of yore would tri-bore Mag bodies to accept 3x18650's (times X for length.). I've never heard of it being done for a 6D, but in theory it's possible: 15 18650's oh yeah ... The cells certainly wouldn't get worn out due to cycling, that's for sure.

At any rate, good luck & welcome to the forum. :)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF machinists of yore would tri-bore Mag bodies to accept 3x18650's (times X for length.).
No matter how you bore out the M*g "D" body, 3x18650 across will not fit inside the body. Either 2x18650 or 3x17670
I've never heard of it being done for a 6D, but in theory it's possible:
It is possible to bore 2x18650 (for total of 2x5=10 cells) but will cost over four digits USD$.

Last edited:

302w

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I'd like to keep this on the cheap side which is why I'm looking for common cells. Machining is out of the budget.

14500s are probably my best bet. Has anyone messed around with connecting 4-6 in parallel?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
14500s might be best due to the cheap price and 18 cells I could fit in, but wiring so many in parallel could be cumbersome.
Even if we assume reasonable cell costs $5 each, total cost would be out of your budget.

14500s are probably my best bet. Has anyone messed around with connecting 4-6 in parallel?
You can easily fit 6 cell of 14500 inside 2D M*g. Why carry extra weight and bulky flashlight?

For better result, let us know your maximum budget, minimum light output and minimum run time. We have many knowledgeable LED members to direct you.

302w

Newly Enlightened
I like having a large and bulky flashlight in my car.

I'm seeking greater than stock performance. 200-300 lumens. I intend on using a simple cheap drop in LED.

I would like to use modern cells that are more reliable than Alkaline Ds, and I'd like to not waste too much space.

BananasCentral

Newly Enlightened
My 6D mag was a hotwire with 5X Emoli cells.
Master P (from Burbons&Lacs) "Windows so dark you need a flashlight to see me."
Me "Yeah OK I have this 6D Mag... whoops... your tint is getting drippy!"

The nice part, balance is totally different with lithium.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you get low power cheap drop in, low current draw, you do not need any li ion cells, 6x D cells will be prbly the most capacity you can get. given that each cell is about 10ah.
if your drop in needs more than 1A then get 5x26650, and a pvc pipe. as a spacer. irc 1" pipe.