Imalent        

Thread: Red rear light - how bright should it be? Should it be on in daylight as well?

Default Red rear light - how bright should it be? Should it be on in daylight as well?

I'm seeing taillights up to about 150 lumen advertised. With all sorts of blinky/varying modes as well...
    I've not seen one integrated with braking, & not sure how that would work, but I understand they exist.

Default Re: Red rear light - how bright should it be? Should it be on in daylight as well?

Lupine rotlicht, is one light that has a brake indicator. Cool feature
    I don't use my taillight during daytime. Only before sunset, when it's foggy and at nighttime. And I try to stay below 40-50 lumens with my taillight.
    Otherwise I'm really blinding others on the road.

Lightbulb Re: Red rear light - how bright should it be? Should it be on in daylight as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post

Red rear light - how bright should it be?
    Should it be on in daylight as well?

I'm seeing taillights up to about 150 lumen advertised.
    With all sorts of blinky/varying modes as well...
    I've not seen one integrated with braking, & not sure how that would work, but I understand they exist.
    Even 40lm of red light is so bright, you'll blind people at a distance of 4m (Knog Blinder MOB Mr Chips V or Cateye Rapid X3).

What is important for daylight visibility is a wide beam angle for the taillight.
    And a steady or pulse/low frequent light mode.
    https://www.bikeforums.net/21037295-post94.html

Using lights during daylight increases safety, since you'll be recognized earlier and as moving traffic.

Go for the Cateye Rapid X2 Kinetic:
    cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/TL-LD710K/

Default Re: Red rear light - how bright should it be? Should it be on in daylight as well?

Why did you choose to quote post 94 instead of post 97 which cogently contradicts those claims? [oh - because one of them is you...] (( Actually there are several posts between these two people.)) .

I'd like to know the brightness of an auto/motorcycle tail light -- and have the same beam spread. That certainly does not blind anyone. Any data on whether drivers notice motorcycles better than bicycles?

Wonder how much power auto/motorcycle tail lights draw & if its feasible to be Lithium powered. Looks like bike light features are all Snake Oil -- dozens of competing "modes" but no definitive guidance on when to use any of them. The bike light beamshot page is very nicely done: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/be...light%5D=bc30r
    Last edited by lumen aeternum; 08-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.

It occurs to me that beamshots on a dark trail are not at all useful. When cars are constantly travelling towards you, your eyes will be constricted more than on a dark road -- so your headlight needs enough illumination to counteract that.

I agree that high output rear lights should not be narrow laser beams but cover a wide range of angles as much as 270 degrees. This video from 4 years ago shows the taillights I use going away from the camera 1/4 mile. I use/used the 1 watt Turbo Superflash in falsh mode, an early Cytolite Hot Spot in swell and shrink mode, and my always on DIY lights. These latter units are about as bright as tail lights of my cars (I can't tell a difference at any rate). The forum crashed when I tried to insert the movie. I will see if the link will suffice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc5DDb6qHbg&t=196s

I have had cops comment favorably and no longer have people tailgate me 3' off my rear fender.