Best LED upgrade for C size incandescent Maglite

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of retrofitting a 3C size maglite to accept 2x 26650 cells and install a 1000 Lumen module of some sort.
What if any modules exist out there, and do any allow a focusable beam?
Is this the sort of job I will need a modder to make radical changes to the body of the light, or are there kits available?

Ive seen larger ones machined down, but with a 3x C size its only 5mm longer which the spring would make up for on the tailcap im expecting.

Any advice would be great. Perhaps I will need to commission a pro modder here? :D

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
fivemega on these pages has some focusable upgrades. AdventuresportFlashlights on the web also has a good deal of mag upgrades. Maybe have a look at Malkoff Devices as well.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,
Ill hit up fivemega and see what he suggests.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
26xxx cells will NOT fit unbored C maglite, unless it is pre 1990s maglite.
the best drop in for C mag would be makoff drop in. you do not need 26xxx cells, nowadays 21700 are available, which are very close to 26xxx performance wise.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
26xxx cells will NOT fit unbored C maglite, unless it is pre 1990s maglite.
the best drop in for C mag would be makoff drop in. you do not need 26xxx cells, nowadays 21700 are available, which are very close to 26xxx performance wise.

I might just end up grabbing a drop in module, would really like focus, with spot to flood, but looks like its not really possible unless you mod yourself, ive seen one such mod here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-With-Voltage-Monitor-Parts-or-Complete-Light!

21700 would be nice, currently Tesla are the only ones making them, but looks like LG, Samsung and others will be very soon.
Seems to be a good supply on ebay from wrecked teslas already. Might grab some.

Might just do this and grab a drop in replacement.
What ones currently work with C cell mags? I see the 3XML out there, but anything 1000 lumens or more is fine.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
focus is something you wont miss when you mod your light with a brighter led, not to mention maglite focus is really not that usefull.
20700-21700 are available at mtnelectronics.com, few brands actually.

i looked up malkoff site, and it's bad news, he makes 3-4 cell xml drop ins for C mag however it is made for 3-4 cells, it may not handle 2xli ion cells. the one for 6 cells will but he does not have it with xml, it uses smaller led, it maxes out at 325lm otf

looks like you'll have to make a led swap yourself, good news is, there are countless ways how to mod a maglite. all depends on your skills and how far you want to take the modding

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
OK, i think I may just give up on the focus.
I know its something i really miss with LED flashlights/Torches.
LED Lenser are the only ones with a decent focusing system. I believe they have the patent to it hence why we dont see it on other makes.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
Thats a pretty neat little unit.
What I find amazing is how LED Lenser managed to get their zoom to work without displaying the square chip shaped beam when zoomed in full spotlight
I must say that xtar is better than what ive seen on some other cheap lights.