Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

Arrow BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

For Everyone Who Wants a Flashlight Which Operates on Standard AA Alkaline Batteries

The Fenix LD42 High Output Flashlight With a Mechanical Rotary Switch is the Answer

The flat profile of the LD42 has been a customer favorite since its release several years ago. Fenix has released the LD42 upgrade, and you will find the new features not only amazing but also welcomed.

Check out these features and PLACE YOUR ORDER TODAY.

Default Re: BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

I absolutely love the rotary switch. Best UI IMO. Is the bezel glued? If not I will buy it.

Flashaholic

ETA on shipping date?
    I'm a flashlight NEWBIE!

Enlightened

Throw that UI on a headlamp!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Wish they could get USB charging into an AA light like this. Is there a battery carrier in this or a slide in style for the 4 AA cells? Very cool light overall.... I want one lol

Looks good if they are updating this. Hopefully we see an LD22 update soon too if they are finally getting around to updating the AA lights.

What emitter is this using? Doesn't say as far as I can see.
    Last edited by martinaee; 07-16-2019 at 05:00 PM.

It's definitely a nice upgrade but a few suggestions...

Most people want a rotary control that works like a dimmer switch...smooth, gradual ramping from the lowest to highest setting. The modes are decent, but ramping is all the rage these days.

Fenix is definitely doing some interesting lights but occasionally miss simple things that could make a difference...warm/neutral tints, high CRI, true moonlight modes etc.

If you guys are reworking some of your AA/AAA lights things like that would definitely appeal to a lot of people. This would be a great time for something like a revamped E01 with a nice emitter, a really low mode for long run times and a high mode for short bursts.

Is it NiMh compatable? Any problems if so?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by PartyPete View Post
    It's definitely a nice upgrade but a few suggestions...

Most people want a rotary control that works like a dimmer switch...smooth, gradual ramping from the lowest to highest setting. The modes are decent, but ramping is all the rage these days.

Fenix is definitely doing some interesting lights but occasionally miss simple things that could make a difference...warm/neutral tints, high CRI, true moonlight modes etc.

If you guys are reworking some of your AA/AAA lights things like that would definitely appeal to a lot of people. This would be a great time for something like a revamped E01 with a nice emitter, a really low mode for long run times and a high mode for short bursts.
    Yeah, Fenix has had some of the coolest innovative designs overall of production lights in the past 10-ish years. But they could really improve their line if they offered more neutral and/or high cri emitter lights. I still love my neutral tint E50 so much and wonder why they don't make more lights similar to it. Overall a simple design that is elegant and extremely practical while having great output. Doesn't even need to be 2 18650 stacked though I do think that format needs more love in general in recent years.

I'm very excited about this light but I definitely need to swap emitters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

We just tracked the order and right now UPS is showing we should get them 7/25/19. Hope you got yours ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    ETA on shipping date?

Please check out product page here. NiMh are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Is it NiMh compatable? Any problems if so?

Bill

Questions and suggestions have been sent to the Fenix engineer. We will post comments from them once we receive them.

Thanks for your discussions!

Cree XP-L HI V3 cool white LED

The LD22 upgrade is in the plans, with no date announcements right now.

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    Wish they could get USB charging into an AA light like this. Is there a battery carrier in this or a slide in style for the 4 AA cells? Very cool light overall.... I want one lol

Looks good if they are updating this. Hopefully we see an LD22 update soon too if they are finally getting around to updating the AA lights.

What emitter is this using? Doesn't say as far as I can see.

I am an avid flashlight collector. I own over 375 flashlights, with the bodies made out of aluminum, stainless steel, copper, titanium, brass, timascus, etc, etc, etc. This is my first light that has a body made out of plastic. I didn't notice that before I ordered the light. After receiving light I kept clicking the body with my fingernail finding it hard to believe that it sounded like plastic. Then I read the Fenix info for the light, and sure enough it is made of plastic. Sure, description says it is made of "Premium materials" and it is "quality plastic", but this dramatically changes my opinion of the Fenix Brand. My first plastic flashlight is a Fenix. I'm underwhelmed. Up until now I was a huge Fenix fan. BE AMAZED! - I have to admit I am truly amazed, and disappointed.
    Last edited by Flash-O-Maniac; 07-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Flashaholic*

I almost ordered this light, won’t now that I know it is plastic. This light is powerful enough (1,000 lumens) to benefit from the heat sink that a metal body would provide. Nitecore has cast aluminum bodies for their 4 AA light... why not do that here???

PS: Product description (webpage not the multi page brochure) appears to be misleading: “Premium materials are used to craft the LD42, including high-strength oxidation-resistant aluminum”. Should include plastic in the description if that is the whole body.
    Last edited by Illumination; 07-30-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

I believe I was mistaken in my previous post when I stated that I think the Fenix LD42 is my first plastic body flashlight in my collection. A few days ago I received the Fenix WT20R light. I just now took a closer look at the body and am convinced it is also composed of "quality plastic". I looked at all the sales information Fenix supplies for the WT20R light and nowhere can I find mention of plastic body, quality or otherwise, on that light. Fenix Store, can you confirm that the Fenix WT20R also has a "quality plastic" body? If so this seems to be a disturbing trend.

Flashaholic

Nice design - but the plastic is a no-go for me. How about a 2x18650 version with continuous ramping output control and an aluminum body? I would definitely put that on the top of my list...

Cheers,
    Tim
    More Lights Than I Care to Admit but Not Enough to Stop Buying!

Plastic??!! It's No for me

I mean, everyone said the same thing years ago about "plastic guns" and look at the market now.

That said, I would be curious as to the exact material and how it holds up in a frequently used 1000 lumen light 6 months to a year later...

Flashaholic*

Forget 6 months; how about a plastic body used for 2 hours straight at a high output? Little heat absorption vs metal body. Looks nice otherwise.

Love my plastic Surefire G series lights. I'll give it a try

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Flashaholic

With all due respect, the 8th photo down clearly states that the body is made of plastic, so I'll defend Fenix - there is NOTHING misleading about that. Do we think that Fenix did not test the light under extended run times on turbo? IMO, not likely.

I have 6 Fenix lights, and they're the only brand I buy other than USA made Malkoff and Maglite. I've always been impressed with their quality, modes & interface, and customer service.

I'm not in the market for AA lights since I've gone to Li-ion cells, but I would not be afraid to try this model. If you can melt it, I'm sure Fenix would replace it.

Just my 2 cents.

Flashaholic*

Default BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

I had edited my post to clarify that I wasn’t referencing the multi page brochure attached to this thread but that edit disappeared as did some other back and forth conversation in the thread.

It is the description on the light’s web page that is misleading. It says “Premium materials are used to craft the LD42, including high-strength oxidation-resistant aluminum.” Given that the whole body is plastic, this sentence at the very least should state something like aluminum and high strength abs plastic or whatever it is. The standard Fenix copy omits the fact that the light is plastic.

I came very close to buying this light based on the short description—I only realized it was after the extended write up was included here and someone posted that it was plastic.

You mention that you like Malkoff. Coincidentally Malkoff warns on their pages not to use their drop ins for extended periods in Surefire plastic bodied flashlights... I’d have no qualms about plastic in a lower powered light but this thing pushes 1000 lumens. Will get hot.

Edit: my edit to my earlier post is back as well as the missing poets. Very strange that it seemed to disappear for a while.
    Last edited by Illumination; 08-04-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fenix store View Post

The LD22 upgrade is in the plans, with no date announcements right now.
    Please... Make a new LD22 with something like a neutral and/or high CRI XHP50.2 and I will buy two. Or slightly smaller emitter if the XP-G3 (is that the most recent version?) is available in a high cri neutral. I remember my LD20 back in the day did have a good beam profile and balance of throw/flood. I still miss that light after losing it a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by PartyPete View Post
    I mean, everyone said the same thing years ago about "plastic guns" and look at the market now.

That said, I would be curious as to the exact material and how it holds up in a frequently used 1000 lumen light 6 months to a year later...
    My Fenix LD40 is still one of my favorite lights. I get if people are worried about superior drop resistance, but in terms of heat dissipation it will be fine especially using a V3 xp-l. Also, having plastic body lights is great for winter use.

My question is how do the batteries load? If you have to constantly unscrew the aluminum head off of the plastic bidy how long are the threads going to last?
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Agree with others, won't buy a plastic light at that price...

I'll have to go against the popular opinion in this thread, one of the main reasons i'm interested in this light is that it does have a plastic body, there's plenty of companies selling plastic/semi-plastic flashlights now but this looks to me like a format where it'd be appropriate, especially if the body of the flashlight only contains the springs to complete the circuit too. Add in a yellow body for it and my wallet won't be happy with me.

Flashaholic*

I guess this is what makes horse races

Agree that with a yellow body this would get more interesting but for me that’s in a single or double cell light driven at lower wattage.

Flashaholic*

I just noticed that Fenix released this light. My thoughts:

Rotary switch: great! Since long time I wish Fenix should release updated TA-series. I have TA30 and like it but unfortunately it shuts down after a few seconds so something is wrong with it. So LD42 is interesting. The opportunity to lower the level without cycle through higher levels is good. I think the light should have a button switch for on/off so you could go directly to the desired level, though.

Plastic body: I don't consider that as a bad thing if it's durable high quality plastic. Taking in consider that the turbomode is not intended to be used(and has a stepdown) for extended time I think it's not a drawback. At high mode of 350lm the head will be more than capable to dissipate the heat away.

Only cool white: yes, that has for long time been a complaint from as well me and many other that Fenix is so restricted with offering neutral white options. I wish Fenix start to change that and release every model in both cool and neutral white!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-13-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast