BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
For Everyone Who Wants a Flashlight Which Operates on Standard AA Alkaline Batteries

The Fenix LD42 High Output Flashlight With a Mechanical Rotary Switch is the Answer

The flat profile of the LD42 has been a customer favorite since its release several years ago. Fenix has released the LD42 upgrade, and you will find the new features not only amazing but also welcomed.

Check out these features and PLACE YOUR ORDER TODAY.

SKV89

Enlightened
I absolutely love the rotary switch. Best UI IMO. Is the bezel glued? If not I will buy it.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish they could get USB charging into an AA light like this. Is there a battery carrier in this or a slide in style for the 4 AA cells? Very cool light overall.... I want one lol

Looks good if they are updating this. Hopefully we see an LD22 update soon too if they are finally getting around to updating the AA lights.

What emitter is this using? Doesn't say as far as I can see.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
It's definitely a nice upgrade but a few suggestions...

Most people want a rotary control that works like a dimmer switch...smooth, gradual ramping from the lowest to highest setting. The modes are decent, but ramping is all the rage these days.

Fenix is definitely doing some interesting lights but occasionally miss simple things that could make a difference...warm/neutral tints, high CRI, true moonlight modes etc.

If you guys are reworking some of your AA/AAA lights things like that would definitely appeal to a lot of people. This would be a great time for something like a revamped E01 with a nice emitter, a really low mode for long run times and a high mode for short bursts.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's definitely a nice upgrade but a few suggestions...

Most people want a rotary control that works like a dimmer switch...smooth, gradual ramping from the lowest to highest setting. The modes are decent, but ramping is all the rage these days.

Fenix is definitely doing some interesting lights but occasionally miss simple things that could make a difference...warm/neutral tints, high CRI, true moonlight modes etc.

If you guys are reworking some of your AA/AAA lights things like that would definitely appeal to a lot of people. This would be a great time for something like a revamped E01 with a nice emitter, a really low mode for long run times and a high mode for short bursts.

Yeah, Fenix has had some of the coolest innovative designs overall of production lights in the past 10-ish years. But they could really improve their line if they offered more neutral and/or high cri emitter lights. I still love my neutral tint E50 so much and wonder why they don't make more lights similar to it. Overall a simple design that is elegant and extremely practical while having great output. Doesn't even need to be 2 18650 stacked though I do think that format needs more love in general in recent years.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very excited about this light but I definitely need to swap emitters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Questions and suggestions have been sent to the Fenix engineer. We will post comments from them once we receive them.

Thanks for your discussions!

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Cree XP-L HI V3 cool white LED

The LD22 upgrade is in the plans, with no date announcements right now.

Wish they could get USB charging into an AA light like this. Is there a battery carrier in this or a slide in style for the 4 AA cells? Very cool light overall.... I want one lol

Looks good if they are updating this. Hopefully we see an LD22 update soon too if they are finally getting around to updating the AA lights.

What emitter is this using? Doesn't say as far as I can see.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I am an avid flashlight collector. I own over 375 flashlights, with the bodies made out of aluminum, stainless steel, copper, titanium, brass, timascus, etc, etc, etc. This is my first light that has a body made out of plastic. I didn't notice that before I ordered the light. After receiving light I kept clicking the body with my fingernail finding it hard to believe that it sounded like plastic. Then I read the Fenix info for the light, and sure enough it is made of plastic. Sure, description says it is made of "Premium materials" and it is "quality plastic", but this dramatically changes my opinion of the Fenix Brand. My first plastic flashlight is a Fenix. I'm underwhelmed. Up until now I was a huge Fenix fan. BE AMAZED! - I have to admit I am truly amazed, and disappointed.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost ordered this light, won't now that I know it is plastic. This light is powerful enough (1,000 lumens) to benefit from the heat sink that a metal body would provide. Nitecore has cast aluminum bodies for their 4 AA light... why not do that here???

PS: Product description (webpage not the multi page brochure) appears to be misleading: "Premium materials are used to craft the LD42, including high-strength oxidation-resistant aluminum". Should include plastic in the description if that is the whole body.

Last edited:

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I believe I was mistaken in my previous post when I stated that I think the Fenix LD42 is my first plastic body flashlight in my collection. A few days ago I received the Fenix WT20R light. I just now took a closer look at the body and am convinced it is also composed of "quality plastic". I looked at all the sales information Fenix supplies for the WT20R light and nowhere can I find mention of plastic body, quality or otherwise, on that light. Fenix Store, can you confirm that the Fenix WT20R also has a "quality plastic" body? If so this seems to be a disturbing trend.

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Nice design - but the plastic is a no-go for me. How about a 2x18650 version with continuous ramping output control and an aluminum body? I would definitely put that on the top of my list...

Cheers,
Tim

PartyPete

Enlightened
I mean, everyone said the same thing years ago about "plastic guns" and look at the market now.

That said, I would be curious as to the exact material and how it holds up in a frequently used 1000 lumen light 6 months to a year later...

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget 6 months; how about a plastic body used for 2 hours straight at a high output? Little heat absorption vs metal body. Looks nice otherwise.