H11 upgrade for a reflector housing

1995gsx20g

Newly Enlightened
So... I just got the wife a 2018 Subaru Impreza hatchback with halogen bulbs in a reflector housing. I would like to upgrade the H11 bulbs to something better than long life bulbs.

On a side note I already know how most members feel about retrofit HID and LED bulbs but most of the posts I found in my searching have been pretty dated, if anything has changed I would love to hear any insight.

I have noticed that some bigger names describing precision and non-domed light output footprints similar to halogen filaments but they still leave out the part about uncontrolled light.

For example:
https://www.thеrеtrofitѕоurсе.com/h11-lеd-hеаdlіght-bulbѕ-mоrіmоtо-2ѕtrоkе.html

Thank you,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

The bulbs you want are these or these, both of which are even better than the ones that convincingly won this very rigorous set of tests done by someone who knew what they were doing and had the right equipment to do it. (Yes, the linked bulb is better even though it has a lower "Plus" number, 130 instead of 100 or 120. The +130 bulb has more/darker blue coating on the bulb's glass, which is detrimental to performance.)

On a side note I already know how most members feel about retrofit HID and LED bulbs but most of the posts I found in my searching have been pretty dated, if anything has changed I would love to hear any insight.

It's not so much a matter of "feelings" as it is a matter of fact...unless you also want to say that it's a "feeling" that round wheels work better than triangular ones, or a "feeling" that a tipped-over jug of apple juice spills down, not up. And no, nothing has changed. For the foreseeable future it's still a blanket no go. There will eventually be LED retrofit bulbs that actually work acceptably -- there is serious development work under way by legitimate companies with the knowledge and resources to carry it out, but there are serious and difficult technical challenges that have to be overcome before bulbs like this can be a reality. Until then, there's a bunch of vendors and scam artists making a bunch of BS claims...and that's all they are. It really is not a matter of "Well, what about this one instead? Or what about that one?"; the choke point is further upstream than that.

Don't endanger the safety of yourself and your family and those they're on the roads with -- use the correct kind of bulb. In your headlamps, that's a halogen H11.

The high beams can be upgraded, too, with these (regular) or these (premium).

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be that people have stopped asking because we keep telling them that "retrofit" HID and LED bulbs are no good. ;)
We've also covered that in this subforum's top-level Sticky.

Latest posts