UV light

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a UV light to detect human urine. A couple of us take showers at work and I've noticed it smells kind of funky in there lately.
I'm usually the last guy to use the shower so I'd like to see if someone is relieving themselves in there. I have my suspicions that it could be a disgruntled employee. I don't want to spend a lot, under $30 if possible.

I found this, banggood Convoy-S2-Nichia-365nm-UV. I've read good reviews on the Convoy.
It is the only place where I can get it in a few days vs from China and taking a month.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another post for scorpion hunting and a lot of information is there. The ones I would recommend are quite costly but I ve heard good things about convoy yet I cannot confirm nor deny!

Sos24

Enlightened
I have a Convoy S2 UV and it is a good quality light for the price. I mainly use it for setting adhesive and detecting pet vice human, but it has worked for my needs.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy S2 UV 365 nm is very good light... Uses 18650 protected or unprotected batteries.

Highly suggest you get the UV filter option (Woods Glass/Filter). There is a fair amount of pale blue light and when trying to find "organics", it can make a bit difficult to see the subtle glow.

However, assuming that the water is running--I would doubt you would find any useful evidence--Typically much easier to see dried evidence on floor/toilet.

The other assumption may be a person motivated by advertising on several continents... "Using the shower" to save water:

https://time.com/3490337/shower-pee-environment-water/

You may have to simply post a sign that says to use a toilet to save water--And not the shower, as a "funky" smell from the drain will usually develop over time.

-Bill "there is a post I thought I would never have to write" B.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I bought the AA version of this UV light recently. It's similar to the Convoy S2 UV and it also comes with the Woods Glass filter. It fluoresces organics extremely well, maybe to the point where you'd wish you could un-see some things. :green:

Last edited by a moderator:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "this UV light" above link is a bit confused... The Amazon page mixes 1x AA and 1x 18650 Li Ion battery and other typos ([FONT=&quot]1* Sansung 2600mAh rechargeable 18650 battery) in different places.

The overall specifications (3 Watt input power and such)--The above link is most likely for the 18650 battery (which is a fine solution--If the size is OK for you).

-Bill[/FONT]

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I ended up ordering the Convoy S2+ uv light along with a filter. I already have a couple s2's and like them.
Thanks for the suggestions.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for understanding, and this particular subforum tends to attract tons of spam links (not that yours was, but that is the reason for the rule)

I understand completely and support your reasoning. It was just a brief moment of cerebral flatulence on my part.

The point I wanted to make was that a flashlight that has a real 365nm true UVA LED in it, coupled with a Woods Glass or dichroic bandpass filter, is a perfect tool for finding fluorescence of the type that the OP was looking for.

I lived through the age where a UV flashlight could only be achieved with an incandescent bulb and Woods Glass. This was a terribly inefficent way to produce a blacklight flashlight, but it was all that was available at the time. The current crop of LED true-UVA flashlights are just astounding by comparison.