Adjustable Hat Clip (am I missing something?)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

Long time no post. I've been wanting an adjustable (baseball) hat clip for about 5 years now, but I still haven't been able to find one. I know there are plenty of lights with straps, but I don't get the popularity. Maybe some can enlighten (pardon the pun) me. My biggest fault with straps is you can't where a hat with them. Whenever, I go camping, fishing etc., I always where some type of hat, usually a baseball, or boonie. It would be so much easier to use my normal EDC light and just clip it to my hat. I know I can clamp a light such as a Fenix E18R to the bill of a cap, but it points too far up, which is not ideal for close up work. The closest light I found that functions similar to what I want is Quarrow 5479, but that's a plastic POS. Anyway just wondering if any of y'all have came across something like what I'm looking for, or if someone has made a custom one.

Specs:
Metal, compact, lightweight clip that will clamp to a baseball, or boonie hat, AND will adjust down
Fits a small CR123 size light, either vertically, or horizontally e.g. Fenix E18R or LD15R

Thanks for any and all input.

Nitro

What do you mean by "adjust down"? Do you mean pivot and angle the light, or somehow shrink the length of the clip? Or...what?

If you want to angle down a light, just attach a headlamp (90 degree head) to the side of your of your bill with the metal clip and rotate it however you want.

Zebralight headlamps come with excellent clips and will do exactly what you need.

imgrc0066704842.jpg

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by "adjust down"? Do you mean pivot and angle the light, or somehow shrink the length of the clip? Or...what?

If you want to angle down a light, just attach a headlamp (90 degree head) to the side of your of your bill with the metal clip and rotate it however you want.

Zebralight headlamps come with excellent clips and will do exactly what you need.

imgrc0066704842.jpg

Right angle lights don't clip onto hat brims very well. I've tried it.

I'm with you, Nitro. I've been looking into options for this, also and haven't found any.

ThrillBilly382

Newly Enlightened
Nite Ize makes a strap that works around a hat and holds your light on the side of your head. they're somewhere around $7 on Amazon.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Factor Equipment Mizpah 130

I have one of those and carried it for about 2 years because of it's fabulous 2-way clip, the best that I've found on a light, but, that clip is not tiltable to adjust the light's up/down angle, which is what the OP is looking talking about.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

imgrc0066704842.jpg

Thanks for the input, but not exactly what I'm looking for. If the part that holds the light were rotated 90 degs and placed further toward the end, so it would sit right at the end of the bill, it might work.

You'd think it would be easy to make for a machinist, which is why I'm surprised nobody has came out with something like it before.

Last edited:

Dr. Leaky

Newly Enlightened
Funny you should bring this up - I just dug out an old Pelican VersaBrite that I always used just for this purpose. It is old school but has a really good swivel. I used to use it on the bill of my cap when we went camping or for using the BBQ after dark. Dealer link removed. Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something with a ball socket like the Nitecore T360 would be just the ticket for me - I have a T360 and this ball socket positioning is quite handy.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, long time no post here too. I have come into possession of what I think is a GoPro or action camera helmet mount which I think could be fashioned to hold a small light and attach also attach to a baseball cap, and will be adjustable.

At the moment, I'll have to remove the sticky pad and work out how to attach it to the cap. Attaching a light to the other end should be easy.

edit: I've removed the sticky pad, then I went to look for a 1/4" socket camera mount and came across quite a few options for action camera baseball cap mounts on various sites. Well, that makes it easier

Last edited: