Damaged 16650

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I use the cell to the right? The rest of the battery looks fine. It's not old either. I have no idea how the dent happened.

Attachments

• ACFCB407-A32C-49C1-AACD-B0E9D2A7CA03.jpg
    ACFCB407-A32C-49C1-AACD-B0E9D2A7CA03.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 130

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were me, then yes.
I think you'll find that the buttons are an add on to a flat topped cell, so all you've done is squeeze some air out betwwen the button and the cell.
But wait for someone with more of a brain than I to be conclusive.
If you've torn the wrapper, it's easy enough to rewrap it with shrinkwrap.

This might help....
https://lygte-info.dk/info/battery protection UK.html

Henrik also does a few strip downs of cheap cells with pictures, on his site.
P

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of cells with similar damage. It happened most likely due to a drop with the bezel down in one of my lights. Not sure which one though as I used keep both an Eagtac and a Nitecore as back up at work. Neither of which have a head spring. Now that I think about it, it likely was both lights. Usually I keep one each in my kit but there was a time when I think I had stored only 16650s and had to swap it in the Nitecore. Anyway, seems like yours are Keeppower cells as well. I've not had any issues in mine and they have both been used that way for months.

I now try to avoid buying any new flashlights that don't have a spring at both ends.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
P: Thanks for the link. That was very helpful. More of a brain? Lol. You are more than qualified to help.

Light footed: Thanks for some reassurance. It must be my old HDS edc basic that caused the damage. I just don't recall dropping it.

Overall I plan to keep using the cell unless someone has a compelling reason not to. So far it seems fine.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I use the cell to the right? The rest of the battery looks fine. It's not old either. I have no idea how the dent happened.

That looks like a spent primer!

I don't think it matters as long as proper contact is made, but I'd want to figure out what's going on, for sure.

Chris